Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to do some marketing?

Hello all,

I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and i am wondering if you feel that it is too late to do a marketing campaign?

Or do you think that there are still people that make a decision at this point in the season?

I am a very small lawn mowing operation. Just me and I like it that way. I have a whopping 12 clients(I am pumped about this btw) and would like to be busier.

You thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mark in Nova Scotia

It is always the right time to do marketing. I think you mostly mean advertising. Marketing consists of figuring out you target market, what people want, eat, live, income etc. Once you narrow it down you can then start a nice advertising campaign based upon all that info you have received. Never think there is a season and off season for it. It is always changing and you have just keep doing it to build your brand.

Comment

We were just talking about this in another thread and I think some of the key points to remember when it comes to advertising mid-season is this.

1. People who started to mow their lawn for the year themselves start to get tired of doing it now as it gets hotter and we get further into the season.

2. The lawn care service the home owner had hired tends to become unreliable now because they were new and underbid the job and realize now they aren't making any money so they lose interest.

You could advertise one or both of those points in your attention getting headline and see which one brings you more clients.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Very good points to consider. Thanks.

Comment

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

We were just talking about this in another thread and I think some of the key points to remember when it comes to advertising mid-season is this.

1. People who started to mow their lawn for the year themselves start to get tired of doing it now as it gets hotter and we get further into the season.

2. The lawn care service the home owner had hired tends to become unreliable now because they were new and underbid the job and realize now they aren't making any money so they lose interest.

You could advertise one or both of those points in your attention getting headline and see which one brings you more clients.
            Very good, salient points!
            I'd like to add that I target subdivisions and simply drive around putting flyers on (not in!) the mailboxes. Not alot of time for this but I put out about 300 three wks ago & got 2 new, solid customers out of it.

Another mid-season point to consider is mower breakdowns. I was mowing today a long-time clients lawn, and a gentleman from 2 houses down comes up & tells me his (Home Depot) "John Deere" needs a new deck, and he's done with it. His daughter just had a baby & they want to spend time with her. Hired me weekly on the spot & I'm getting the $ I want for the job!

Another very effective marketing move, if you can hone in on it, is to learn which neighborhoods have the high turnover. Around here these are the $400K - 600K homes in trendy subdivisions in rural areas. Look for multiple for sale signs that constantly change at the entrance.
            I have gotten at least 8 of my current 21 customers this way.
            Drive thru once a week or so. When you see "under contract", or better yet a moving van - leave one of your nice, glossy flyers at several spots around the property.
            Someone moving in from out-of-state needs lawn service right away & is too busy to shop. And there is YOUR flyer in thier hands. It works!

One of my other effective strats is to get to know a handful of realtors, and a corporate relocator if you can. I got lucky by putting a flyer on a guy mailbox, he needed my service, he became a regular customer AND is a relocator. So i get new business from that. Sometimes it's temporary, others become steady.

My flyer this time of season simply has my logo across the top, then below it, in bold it say's "IT'S HOT!!! Tired of mowing yet?
            Hire me, then you can spend time at the lake, the beach, with family or work if you need to. Enjoy THIS summer!
            It's been pretty effective.
            Last edited by wolfpacker53; 07-03-2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I'd like to add that I target subdivisions and simply drive around putting flyers on (not in!) the mailboxes. Not alot of time for this but I put out about 300 three wks ago & got 2 new, solid customers out of it.
              How often throughout the year do you do this or would you ideally like to do it?

Comment

I start in earnest in mid-March, and do so periodically throughout the season. The flyer changes to reflect leaf mgt. and seeding/aerating in Sept.

Comment

Do you feel there is an ideal range of amount of times a lawn care business owner should be reaching out to potential customers per year?

Comment

You should always be marketing. While you might not be in the prime of your season, consider how you can continue to build a relationship with your customers to maintain top of mind awareness. What are their interests, wants, needs? How can you tie those into your offering.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X