Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So…How do you transform you business when the growing season stops?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So…How do you transform you business when the growing season stops?

Hi,
    So, how do those of you out there keep the money flowing when the end of the year hits and normal lawn care and landscaping comes to a near halt?

Been at this for 3 weeks now, just officially opened my storefront Friday, have 6 regulars so far, and just spent $1k on a new mower the other day. Already been thinking about what to do in the off-season here in North Florida when our so-called Winter hits around November/December. Growing season starts back up in February/March normally. Don't want to wait until the last minute to start looking for off-season opportunities.

My banker ran a lawn service while in college and talked to me about off-season work ** leaf raking jobs, Putting up Christmas lights, Fall cleanup, etc., to help keep the money coming in. Unfortunately, even now with my Military Pension and Disability I'm not nearly making enough to cover the 'excess' bills I have each month now. Hate to see how things end up the end of the year.

I've got a website up and running, www.billslawnmaintenanceservices.com, and have business cards made up which I hand out every chance I get. Most of my business is generated via Thumbtack.com right now as well. So far I've only had 1 job via my website as well. Worked with go-daddy.com to help with Search Engine Optimization ( a week or so ago ) but I'm still not really showing up in Google or the other major search engines - yet.

I know this is a slow business to get going at first and understood it was going to be a struggle to get my name out and generate business, but I'm already looking ahead to try and plan.

Any helpful ideas I could try to keep things moving in a positive direction? And, to plan ahead for end of the year?

Thanks in advance…Bill

I would sell myself on the street corner-but as ugly as I am I would go broke.
    I do pressure washing for the snowbirds, hedge trimming, I stay away from fall clean ups as mostly it's snowbird and they don't want to pay for ****. I make and save enough during the summer I don't have too much to worry about in the winter. I do have several year round mowing jobs. I can only suggest that you look real hard at what opportunities are in your area, start advertising early and pry hard.

Comment

Heres some good info that will help you with your website for marketing.

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=13299
      http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Something to consider would be to get your customers on annual contracts where they pay you the same amount each month all year long. The benefit for them is they pay a lower monthly amount because it is spread across 12 months instead of the normal lawn mowing period.

You can then check up on their properties all year long and make sure everything looks ok.

As far as SEO for your website goes.

Here is one suggestion. On your main page, your title is this
        :
        <title>Bill's Lawn Maintenance Services - Lawn Maintenance Business, Sprinkler System Repair, Lawn Mowing</title>
        It would be better to say "Your Town Lawn Care - include zip code." Have a different page to focus on each service you offer.

People will be searching for "your town lawn care" before they will be searching out your lawn care business name specifically.

Also have you entered your information into google places so you appear on the map when a customer looks for lawn care in your area?

Are you using a wordpress blog on your site? That helps a lot with seo.

There is a ton of seo discussions on this forum and I have a lawn care business website seo workbook to help as well.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Something to consider would be to get your customers on annual contracts where they pay you the same amount each month all year long. The benefit for them is they pay a lower monthly amount because it is spread across 12 months instead of the normal lawn mowing period.

You can then check up on their properties all year long and make sure everything looks ok.

As far as SEO for your website goes.

Here is one suggestion. On your main page, your title is this
          :
          <title>Bill's Lawn Maintenance Services - Lawn Maintenance Business, Sprinkler System Repair, Lawn Mowing</title>
          It would be better to say "Your Town Lawn Care - include zip code." Have a different page to focus on each service you offer.

People will be searching for "your town lawn care" before they will be searching out your lawn care business name specifically.

Also have you entered your information into google places so you appear on the map when a customer looks for lawn care in your area?

Are you using a wordpress blog on your site? That helps a lot with seo.

There is a ton of seo discussions on this forum and I have a lawn care business website seo workbook to help as well.
          Hey Steve,
          Well....I updated my titles on my pages AND downloaded you book. It's a work-in-progress but I think I'm slowly making some progress.
          Thanks for the pointers...Bill

Comment

That is great! Keep track of where your site ranks now for your specific search phrase (Your Town Lawn Care) and then track it over time to see if the changes are improving it's position.

Also, make sure you ask your new callers where they initially heard of you from so you can track which of your marketing is working and which is not.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X