They may never even see your ad on Craigslist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They may never even see your ad on Craigslist

I've been reading through all the threads about Craigslist but I've never seen this mentioned (might have missed it). Whenever I search Craigslist it automatically shows the results as "relevant" NOT "newest".

I posted my ad & then searched for "lawn" to see it. It was nowhere in sight. I'm putting my company name in the headline so people will see the name "DARKSTEEL" & hopefully it will stick & they'll think of me when they need mowing in the future. But by just doing a regular search, DARKSTEEL was nowhere in sight. I was getting annoyed until I realized I had to switch to "newest" in order to see my ad.

Now I'm sure there is a way to set it so it always shows the newest ads but I don't care about that. What if most people are just looking at the "relevant" listings & don't know to change it to "newest" like I didn't? Every time I do a search the same listings are there. An ad from Mar. 11 is always on top. That guy is going to get all the calls & if the people don't bother to switch to newest (and I'm sure most won't) then they'll never even see my ad.

This little thing makes all the advice about changing your ad title, making multiple accounts & relisting every day totally worthless. I don't want to sit here posting new ads every single day for 5 or 6 months straight if nobody is even going to see them anyway.

Now keep in mind most people ARE NOT internet whizzes. The average old man or house wife will just search & whatever pops up is what they'll go with. They're going to do a simple search & call the 1st one they see in their town. They're not going to bother switching to "newest". They're probably not even going to notice the button for "relevant/newest". I never even noticed it until I had this problem. They're just going to call the first one they see. So unless I can get my ad on the top of the "relevant" category I'm $hit out of luck!

So for all you guys not getting many calls from Craigslist, this is probably what's going on. Have you ever tried searching for "LAWN" & not see your ad anywhere? Did you end up with "relevant" results instead of "newest"? But when you switch to newest your ad was right on top?

How often do you think people are searching or 'lawn' only on craigslist? Wouldn't they be more descriptive in their search or no?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How often do you think people are searching or 'lawn' only on craigslist? Wouldn't they be more descriptive in their search or no?
      Search for "lawn" and I don't show up at all.

Search for "lawn care" and I don't show up at all.

Search for "lawn mowing" and I'm half way down the page with older ads up top.

Search for "mowing" and I'm way down at the bottom with older ads up top.

Search for "mowing service" and I'm 8th on the list with older ads above me.

That's all under "relevant". The only way I'm up top is if they switch it to "newest". If they A) know how & B) will bother to.

My point is that if they didn't have that stupid "relevant" search my ad would be up top & 100% of the people would see it. "relevant" search knocks that 100% down significantly. Even down to 0% on 2 searches.

Just thought I'd put this out there for all the guys wondering why they're not getting calls. I've seen a lot of guys asking "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?" and the simple answer is NOTHING! You're not doing anything wrong, that fact is that this entire world sucks big fat smelly monkey balls & every tiny little thing will work against you & screw you over. And humans hate "easy", they despise when anything is easy. If they know something is easy they will do everything in their power to complicate the crap out of it. So just keep fighting through all the BS & don't get discouraged.

"Life's a bitch" isn't just a funny expression. It's the honest to God truth! (unfortunately)

Comment

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to get our prospects to enter the "correct" keywords for their search on craigslist or how they view the listings.

I agree with you, it's difficult, but for me (my first year full time, first year advertising), Craigslist is my go-to site. Every lead I've gotten this year has told me they found me on craigslist.

You have to keep working craigslist (re-post every other day) for your ad to stay at the top. Sometimes it will take a few hours for it to appear after you "publish" it.
        Your ad has to stand out above the other generic ads for lco's on there.
        Say as much about your business as you can in three sentences or less. Tell why you are different, or better than the rest. Images help.
        Licensed and Insured, say it. It means a lot to people with nice properties.

Good luck with it this season.

Comment

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to get our prospects to enter the "correct" keywords for their search on craigslist or how they view the listings.

I agree with you, it's difficult, but for me (my first year full time, first year advertising), Craigslist is my go-to site. Every lead I've gotten this year has told me they found me on craigslist.

You have to keep working craigslist (re-post every other day) for your ad to stay at the top. Sometimes it will take a few hours for it to appear after you "publish" it.
          Your ad has to stand out above the other generic ads for lco's on there.
          Say as much about your business as you can in three sentences or less. Tell why you are different, or better than the rest. Images help.
          Licensed and Insured, say it. It means a lot to people with nice properties.

Good luck with it this season.

Yup! I'm going to keep working on it. The other thing I'm trying to do is get the name Darksteel & my silver skull seen as much as possible. They might not call me now but in the future hopefully they'll remember the name or the image. I'm working on getting decals made for my truck. I live on a busy 4 lane highway so I'll just park my truck at the end of the driveway. That should stand out. When my father sold his car he did the same thing & had it sold within a couple hours. Tons of people drive by, best free advertising I can ask for. My truck will be like a free billboard. (hopefully)

Comment

I am in the same spot. I created a ad to see what the hype was about and had no need to advertise as its not targeting my customer type. All i have got was spam or ignorant request like will you move pots and weedeat as there is no grass just moss.

I won't post an ad Again

Comment

You are doing something wrong, and everyone else you think isn't doing anything wrong.....................is doing it wrong.

What are you doing wrong? Advertising on CL only and wondering why you're not getting any calls?........

You can't rely on a free advertising service and wonder why you're not getting 20 calls a day.

OMG! WHAT? I'm a successful company.....I do advertise on CL, but I also advertise in Newspapers, fliers, direct mail, door to door knocking and talking.......plus about 10 other ways. YES it costs money, YES sometimes you think it won't work and sometimes it doesn't.........BUT CL is the last resort, the ONLY..............ONLY....I cannot stress this enough..........THE ONLY reason to advertise on CL is because it is free. Craigslist is the 10th fishing pole you have in the water.........the other 9 have bait, the other 9 fisihing poles have a great chance...........Craigslist is the fishing pole you throw in the water to see if you get lucky.......... it shouldn't be your ONLY advertisement.

And your name? it sounds like a knife shop, a metal shop.........somewhere you go to get welds done. Maybe even a gun shop, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with lawn care..........If I saw your name, I would not think.."OHH!!! lawn mowing!"...I would think steel mill or something else to do with steel. I don't care how cool the name is to you, or how much meaning it has for you...........you cannot have that name and wonder why people don't think you do lawn work. Plus, can you honestly think some guy that makes $300,000 a year is going to see a skull with blades behind it and think "OH great company!"...........NO.......What in the hell are you thinking that millionaires and high end neighborhoods are going to want a company with a huge screaming skull on their truck in their neighborhood?

the type of people attracted to that logo....metal heads, teenagers, and well that's pretty much it are not the people that are paying for lawn care......

Sure Steve will pop in to ask you a couple questions......other's will talk around it....but the fact no one has been as blunt as I am is a great example of how no one really cares how your business runs..........or they would tell you, your logo and company name will kill your business faster than not paying taxes, having no insurance and you obviously knowing nothing about running a business.
              Last edited by CommonSense; 04-06-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I've taken notice of that option "newest" and "relevant" on CL lately. They must have just came out with it not too long ago. Last year was my first year and 99% of work I got was from CL. Most of last year I could post 2 ads a day and almost always get at least 1 call(mostly one times and overgrown cleanups+spam) but lately I haven't been getting many at all and I believe it's because of this sorting option.

I know that there are a ton of other post for lawn care on CL(I live in a big city) but that never affected it before. With the season beginning to pick up here in the sunshine state I am anticipating calls that just ain't coming in.

That being said I guess it's finally time to get some door hangers made up. If anyone could point me in the right direction for a nationwide company that can make around 1500 for a decent price I would appreciate it.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X