Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is lawn mowing even worth it in my area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is lawn mowing even worth it in my area?

I feel like just givong up already, I figured I would start mowing lawns in april through November (8 months) but I live up in fargo ND way the H*** up north and people are telling me the lawn mowing season is a couple of months away yet, and it ends sooner too, so if I figure only 4 months half of may, June, July, Augest half of september, short of charging double its just not profitable to mow lawns 1/3 of the year, and I dont have the money or resorces to compeat with the snow removal companies out here with their $20-30k snow trucks and bobcats, because I just cant give a reasonable price when it takes me an hour to shovel the driveway and a big company can do it in 5 min or less. and dispite of how anybody else figures it I take the total income from the year and spread it out over 12 months so I have a stable income, I lived well with all this money coming in then winter came and it was like my bank froze when the weather froze, I was able to keep it afloat but I never really paid atention to how long lawn mowing lasted, I went out of business 2 years ago due to multiple reason but I am trying to start up again, I have already spent $500 on a lawn mower and a weed eater (I needed for my own lawn anyways) and $10 for an advertisment that is going to come out way too early I schedulled the ad 2 weeks ago when we were haveing 50-60 degree days and it is to come out tomarrow, today is 30 degrees (cold enough to snow and kill any garden plants) and the last several days have been just as cold, and I was planing on getting a newspaper ad that is 30 days and cost $175, thats a ton load of money if the season is only 4 months. would anyone tell me that I am dead wrong and people are saying that cause they don't want to pay for the lawn mowing service, and that the season is acutually 6 to 8 months, or should I just quit before I spend half a thousand dollars on advertising.

I went out of business 2 years ago due to multiple reason but I am trying to start up again,
    Can you share with us more of the back story as to why you went out of business in the past? Were there learning lessons you gained from it that you can apply to this season?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I'm in the eastern UP of Michigan and on average we start clean-ups in mid April but last year it was May before we got started and looks like this year might be the same. Two years ago I started the last week of March so its a crap shoot as to when you can get going in the spring. The cutting season is usually from 1st or 2nd week of May through to the middle of October then fall clean-ups till snow comes. You just have to be patient I know its a PITA but that is the way it is in the northern areas. I have a few Pre-Pay customers that have already paid for the whole season, and they are due by the 31st of March so it really helps out during the transition time between plowing and cutting, and helps with start-up costs for spring as well.
      Last edited by kslawn; 03-21-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Here in Wisconsin it is somewhat the same. Mowing begins end of april/beginning of may and end in October. We do everything from plowing, cleanups, mowing, and landscaping. By offering all of the services we stay busy almost all year. Try offering winter services and it will help a ton! About 4/10ths of my income comes in the 3 winter months.

Comment

BelleCity, your right on..and the plowing in my opinion is a must in the northern areas.

Comment

Kslawn that is what I would advise. Lawns are not extremely profitable but when you mix in all the other services such landscaping, fertilization and weed control, winter services, and the other "landscaping" services it will keep you busy making money all year! They all kind of help each other out. I would say half of hour lawn customers used us for snow and decided to sign up. Half of our landscape jobs we do during the year come from the lawns we mow.

Comment

Hey buddy this bussiness is tough. And is.all about tenacity and waiting till u bill.up a decent clientele so u can start making money or at last breaking even machinery never stops allways money going out and In as.well so what if u take an hour by cleaning snow. As soon as u think ull cleaning with a machine and take 5mins. Or u can rent and schedule several cleen ups do flyers for specific dates ull be renting and baam no back breaking work. I am stjll in this bussiness going intoo my 4th year got plenty to learnd and more much to sweat

Comment

Up north in snow country also. My mowing contracts run from May 1st - Oct 31st. Its more of a full service contract for most customers depending on their needs. If spring and fall cleanups are minimal we just include it if there is enough room to make a profit. Otherwise it can be adjusted or just billed separately. You always want to try and pay your bills ahead or bank some money for winter, because its hard to say what winter will bring, but you don't have to have a bunch of big equipment to get started in snow removal. You can shovel some smaller driveways that the plow guys can't do because there is no where to push it. Or buy yourself a snow blower and get started like that. Then there is roof shoveling which can be quite profitable if you know what your doing and can do it safely. It can be a rough industry but just keep your nose to the grind and giver all you got.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X