New lawn care Biz has exploded!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lawn care Biz has exploded!

First off I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone out here. I have been reading this forum for almost a year now and have got some real good info from all of you ! My Name is Matthew I am the owner of LAWNWORKS, LLC Located in Oklahoma city. I started just over nine months ago and it has been none stop since I have grown from just a few residential properties to over 205 residential and 91 commercial properties and 9 -3 man crews . I have been approached by a spraying company about buying them out and it looks like a good deal! With that being said My QUESTION to all of you is there a point where you grow to fast? I have been able to complete all the work on time so far but Is it a good thing to mix spraying with a lawn care biz?

Welcome! My first question is how in the world did you grow so quickly? I would say growing quickly is a good thing, however, you can grow too fast! I have been steadily growing for almost 2 years now. As for spraying, it is a huge industry. If you got half of you current customers signed up you could really get alot of extra business. The only problem with spraying is the regulations. You would need a mixer/loader, a knowledge of all the rules, sprayers, loading areas, and all of the licences. I offer the services but sub it out or a buddies business and I make on average $12 per application and all I do is collect the payments. Just some thoughts!

Comment

I was able to grow so fast by not sleeping! I have found that the lawn care industry is full of people working out of the back of there truck that never do what they say they will or show up when they say they will. Now about the spraying part of the question. I'm looking at buying out a company that has been spraying for 18 years now . They have a very good reputation in the area! I have been True to my word and showed up when I said I would .

Comment

I started just over nine months ago and it has been none stop since I have grown from just a few residential properties to over 205 residential and 91 commercial properties and 9 -3 man crews .
        You have been able to do this in 9 months? That is fast!

I have been approached by a spraying company about buying them out and it looks like a good deal!
        Have you asked them why they want out?

With that being said My QUESTION to all of you is there a point where you grow to fast? I have been able to complete all the work on time so far but Is it a good thing to mix spraying with a lawn care biz?
        You can absolutely grow too fast and implode. It happens all the time. The real question is, how do you feel about your ability to manage what you have right now? What kind of additional growth would this new purchase add to your company and how do you feel you would handle that much more work?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

My question is, what kind of advertising did you do to gain that kind of clientele? I have 5 yrs experience working for another company and have decided to venture off this year on my own. What advice would you give on how to build a decent route? Also, should I focus more on commercial or residential or a healthy medium between the two? thanks!

Comment

I say, keep going for a few more years, sell, and retire early! lol That's incredible growth!
            Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
            Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
            CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Many years back when I worked for a company in lower Michigan, my employer at the time had made an agreement with True Green. The deal was True green had some lawn maintenance accounts for cutting too, and they made a deal with each other...they give my boss the lawn maintenance route of I think was around 140-150 accounts and my boss gave them refurals for firtilizing his accounts. It was a good trade I guess but as time went on, we started noticing that they were just hammering the firtilizer to our lawns and as a result the grass growth got out of control. So in hindsite it was a good deal at first because he got 140-150 accounts at one time, but it cost him more money to maintain each account after a while because of the excess firtilizing (all they have to do is make the grass green and grow good, right!). So the good thing at least in your case Owski77 is if you buy the spray company you will be able to control the firtilization on the lawns your cutting etc, and maybe not have more costs to maintain them because you are doing the firtilizing rather than someone else doing it....I hope I'm making scence...lol

Comment

So.... 9 months.
                250 clients
                Plus all of his clients ??? Does
                His employees come with the deal?
                It sound either to good to be true or like your way over your head already.

I mean if your asking the how's at this point you not ready and have grown to fast.

Fast growth is what we do you sir are not prepared .scarry right.
                With your 250 current clients I ask this

With all the work his crews currently have , if you buy it, can those crews actually handle the extra work off of the upswell to your regular clients
                Without substantial cost for more personel, equipment ect.
                This is why I don't buy out companies, I don't need their stresses ( you are buying those too)

Comment

Owski77, how many of your customers does this spray company service for you allready? 25% or 50% etc...

Comment

They do not spray any of my lawns. This would be all new customers for both of us .

Comment

they were just hammering the firtilizer to our lawns and as a result the grass growth got out of control.
                      Why do you think they chose to put that amount of fertilizer on the lawns? Do you think that was a good or bad business decision for them?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Why do you think they chose to put that amount of fertilizer on the lawns? Do you think that was a good or bad business decision for them?
                        I think that as long as the grass was thick and green it was good for them....not so much for my boss at the time. I'm not sure why they put so much on, I guess to make sure they did their part, but maybe they always did it that way...it sucks when the grass grows natrually enough to where you have to spend a little extra time to make it look good, but when you have to cut it twice every time your there because they put that much firt on the lawns its a little rediculess, and no need for it...and a waste really.

Comment

True Green. The deal was True green had some lawn maintenance accounts for cutting too, and they made a deal with each other...they give my boss the lawn maintenance rout
                          The thing I wonder is how is True Green doing now with that policy they had used on fertilizing? Do you think they have gotten bigger in your area, smaller, or stayed the same size?

Comment

The thing I wonder is how is True Green doing now with that policy they had used on fertilizing? Do you think they have gotten bigger in your area, smaller, or stayed the same size?
                            I think then they had around 6-8 trucks at that office back then and im sure they are still doing good. I havent been in that area for a long time but they are still there, not sure if they are doing work for my old company or not. My old boss sold out a few years back and I think the new owner does some firtilizing himself. The original post reminded me of the situation we had back then with having to double cut etc...I think the OP will do good buying the spray company because he can control it better. I think if your 'just a spray company' (not to step on any toe's here Lol) or 'just firtilizing', you have to make sure you make it green and lush etc so you keep the customers coming, thats what they do. When you look at it that way, its good for the 'just lawn cutting' company too as long as they price it right taking in the growth factor. Back then we wasn't ready or didn't expect that type of growth that fast and got us by supprise...

Comment

I think that is great insight.

What is your view on why trugreen didn't get into cutting lawns? Would that have worked well for them too do you think?

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X