If you had $1,000 dollars to spend on advertising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had $1,000 dollars to spend on advertising

If you were just starting out and you had $1000 dollars to spend on advertising what would you spend it on?

If you were just starting out and you had $1000 dollars to spend on advertising what would you spend it on?

Join http://www.thumbtack.com
    I did, Thumbtack is my second best customer resource.

Comment

Advertising

I joined thumbtack a couple months ago but have not used it. Can you explain it a bit. You pay to give estimates? Is it useful? Would love to know more info.

Ty
      Paco Ramirez
      www.jaslawnservice.com

Comment

I joined thumbtack a couple months ago but have not used it. Can you explain it a bit. You pay to give estimates? Is it useful? Would love to know more info.

Ty
        Yes, it is useful.
        The best place to learn about Thumbtack is to go to their website.Yes, you will pay for each quote you give, however, their rates are reasonable.For my own experience, Thumbtack is one of the best places to spend advertisement money.

Comment

Just starting out, I'd say door to door (yeah, I'm old fashioned). Let me tell you why I'd go that route.

1. Nobody knows you (yet).
          2. Nobody can sell you better than you.
          3. Nobody cares about your success more than you (at least, that's how it should be, except maybe the wife and kids).

You don't have to hard sell to introduce yourself. Instead of thinking "selling", think, "I'm meeting new, soon to be friends I'd like to turn into customers.

Example: Go out looking good, looking professonial. If you have a signed vehicle or trailer with nice equipment, make sure you park within sight of the house(s) you want to approach (mid-street is good, the important thing is when the lady of the house tentatively answers the door, she sees someone professional and there is a vehicle in sight that kinda tells her what's coming (your pitch). Don't try to sell ANYTHING at this point in time. It can go something like this;
          "Hi, I'm ****** with ****** and we're new to the area and wanted to get out and introduce ourselves to our neighbors and just leave you a card (flyer, postcard, whatever you use)."

Watch the facial expression and body language. People hate door to door sales. If you see that "thought", quickly interject, "We're not selling anything today, just wanted to let the neighborhood know we are here if there is ever a need."

While you are talking, hand them the flyer, thank them for their time (big smiles always) and turn and walk away.

Many times they will call out and ask you a question. Many times you just go on to the next door. That personal contact will do more for a new business than all the mailers, referral services, etc. You just planted seeds and that's what makes a new business grow.

Sometimes, people can/will be rude. It's not personal, don't let it discourage you. You determine the success/failure of your new business, not a few negative nellies.

Best of all, it's pretty darned cheap.

Comment

$1,000

If you are totally new, I mean just a physical business, I would invest flyers first. It won't really cost much to spend on flyers and you don't need thousands of them.

I will also invest on a website and a social media fan page. Even if your target is local citizens, having a fan page will help build awareness, which is something that you really need when you are just starting out.

You can't get effective ads with that amount, but try hiring someone to make videos for you. They don't cost that much and you can have a couple of videos by spending around $100. Upload it and share it on your fan page.

$1,000 will be very fruitful if you will do most of the advertising yourself.

Comment

How about some signs for your truck so when you are out working on a yard, neighbors or people walking by will know you are a business and they can approach you to get you to service their property as well.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How about some signs for your truck so when you are out working on a yard, neighbors or people walking by will know you are a business and they can approach you to get you to service their property as well.
                Yeah definitely. It's more like putting an advertisement while you are traveling anywhere. You can make some of these and ask your friends to put it on their trucks as well.

Comment

What kind of advertising are you doing now? Do you have a website for your business? Are you using free advertising sites like craigslist?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I have a website and it is not active. I need to get some work done on it. I haven't advertised on craigslist yet this year. I am trying to time it right.

Comment

That sounds like a great next step. What do you need to do to get your site up? What is holding you back with it?

Comment

I just made a facebook page with pics of yards I did last year. Flyers are the way to go as they are cheap and will pay for themselves with just one client. Going door to door may require a permit from the city. I hit the mailboxes, usually the flags if they aren't standing up, if they are I find a seam in the plastic and metal ones and for wooden ones I find a crack. I don't use rubberbands much.

Comment

I just made a facebook page with pics of yards I did last year.
                          How has that worked out so far? Have you gotten any new customers because of it? Do you do anything to promote your facebook page?

Comment

That sounds like a great next step. What do you need to do to get your site up? What is holding you back with it?
                            I just need some design help. I am working on that.

Comment

How has that worked out so far? Have you gotten any new customers because of it? Do you do anything to promote your facebook page?
                              I don't plan to advertise too much, I would prefer word of mouth, and honestly that's worked out real well. I plan on using my facebook page as a picture book, examples of the yards I maintain. This is for people not sure if they want to use me, or a friend of a friend. There is a limit I want in terms of amount of customers. I work alone usually and prefer it. Once stable I will look into getting more than 35 accounts, and thus an employee as well.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X