Help me with my Queens New York location, tips and all

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my Queens New York location, tips and all

Hey guys I am looking for any kind of input, tips , general thoughts on this.
    This is where I am , I have plans on a major $ 3 million dollar shift in my company over the next 6 years. I won't disclose the names of the parties involved. As stated I need tips help ect so I have a general idea of the area and market.

The location is south of NYC in the community of Whitestone, which will comprise of most of the client base.

The travel crews have clients in Bayside,Douglaston, Flushing,College Point,Malba and surrounding area.

Where is trimming debris hauled to or disposed of at
    What kind of permits are required to do maintenance only.No tree work,chemicals or fertilizers( they have service companies avalible.

I am sorry this will all be so long, I am just trying to provide as much as I can.

The guy is a friend of my wife's family and he talked with me years ago and said when he was ready to move to Hawaii he would call, he did.

We have spent hours on the phone, and e-mails over January and it was given to me. I will pay a first class plane ticket for his family of 6 .

The catch is after going up there for 5 days is he is only offering up the company, client base , employees and trucks. The equipment is also there BUT it is time, he was looking at replacing everything last year and after medical reasons left him in the office most days(heart attack) he decided he was unable to see his dreams and is afraid of ending up worse off, so he is out .
    Plus I have to agree to maintain every employee of his for 6 years.

This was my cost for saying yes

He had every single customer sign as he called a client transfer stating their name address telephone number, their contract reference number and it documents his position to sell to the said person and the client agrees to continue services for 1 season, with the understanding we are as good or better then his current company and we wouldn't raise any prices durring that time over $15.00 per month.

He had not issue with a no compete, as Hawaii is a bit far off.

They use all push mowers, currently but have a few 32" belt drives for large areas. His plan before health got him was save a year and buy 45 of the exmark30" Turf master push mowers , medical expense went through the cash so he is out, we will pick it up and run so I ask what kind of suggestions can you guys offer on the area. I will post more as I remember it all as it is late, but I had to share . Thanks in advance.

Comment

As far as dumping yard debris have you checked this out?
      http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless...ardwaste.shtml

So are you taking over this business? Do they have a lot of this worked out already, like dump sites?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

The link didn't load due to weather but I got the idea something has changed in debris. He had not mentioned a need for debris removal , he knows my business approach and I would now guess he was confident we wouldn't need a dump site regular , if at all.

I was courious of facilities for the trash debris and say the wrist sized limb debris once collected as dead wood or a odd pull it out of that bed. Which don't get me wrong I know he HAD SOMEWHERE as he has been in business for 21 years .

While talking with them most said if its not mulched into the lawn most items are cut small and placed into garbage bags at the property.
        I can't imagine he does this on a regular just an option.

They never collect general yard debris and most larger jobs are handled by other companies.

The debris is a possible real issue if I was misinformed because the property they opperate on has no room for any growth or storage , I didnt measure it but 12'000 square foot of lot is it . While I was there it was snowing and everything was onsite and there was no room for even a extra pallet of seed.

Comment

Yes it was given to me . For years my wife has talked shop with him and he always said if he got out he would give it over ,it was just talk in my eyes but he called.

He has always liked our work ethic and core company policies
          So I have asked my brother to help me out , he is in conn.,in the service and said it would be hard but agreed to do his best.

For many years I personally have stayed out of major cities, due to traffic , and the general congestion .... And now it's the big leagues . A move makes me uncomfortable now because I seen little of the town , I just don't know a lot about the area. The city layouts ect.

A lot of fears of uncertainties , my first question to my wife with this was.....
          Is there a outdoors type store for my hobbies and then how for is this from public waters. I couldn't give up my kayaking, scuba diving, rock climbing, cave exploration and dang sure not fishing on a weekly basis, water was a must.

Comment

Is there a outdoors type store for my hobbies and then how for is this from public waters. I couldn't give up my kayaking, scuba diving, rock climbing, cave exploration and dang sure not fishing on a weekly basis, water was a must.
            I am sure there are and isn't this long island area? It's surrounded by water so there would be a lot of kayaking potential.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

It is I bit from long island ,I seen the LIE, long island expressway but those guys acted as if with traffic it could take 4 hours that way. But as for mileage it's less the 10 miles I guess.

My wife grew up there and said certin area were off limit, if you will die to different things, Not prohibited just complicated if you will
              and I realy dont want to yak in industrial waste waters. My wife and her family actually said in all the years they never seen a kayak period and it took some time to involve her down south. Wife also said its May before you see people on the beaches in numbers some years.

In my mind there is a lot of water but not sure it isn't naster backwaters?

Understand I was speaking of fresh water bodies , not salt water.... The ocen is close indeed.

Comment

Here was an article with some links in the LI area to kayak shops and places to kayak, so you never know, you might find some others interested in it as well.

http://www.longisland.com/articles/0...ng-island.html

Comment

I would like to thank you Steve. I have noticed you do a lot of web site posting and for your site members and I for one appreciate it, a lot of good readings.

Comment

You are welcome. I do look forwards to hearing more updates on this. I bet it is going to be an adventure!

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X