Illinois start up ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois start up ?'s

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I've decided to start a lawn care business. I'd like to know if anyone could tell me what licenses and things of that nature I need to start, and a ballpark estimate of the cost of such things. I'm from Illinois if that helps. I plan to offer mowing, fertilizer and weed control (just naming the basics). That being said. I worked for TruGreen for 5 years. Loved the work, hated the corporate BS. My pesticide applicators license has lapsed. Would I be able to simply renew this, or are there more steps involved if you run the business? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'd have to get on your states website and try to look for that information. Its always best to read it directly from the source rather than members on the forum. Seems like now adays laws change every few months!

Equipment is a whole other story. It all depends on what your needs are and the area of turf you'll be mowing.

Comment

Il ?

I run a small service in IL. I do not fertilize currently but did take the general standards test. I still have to take the turf license test. The website is http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environme.../commappl.html. Depending on where you live you can make an appointment to challenge tests. I recommend going to two day seminar and buying the books.

Where are you located?

I am in North Aurora.

Let me know if I can help
      Paco Ramirez
      www.jaslawnservice.com

Comment

I'd like to know if anyone could tell me what licenses and things of that nature I need to start, and a ballpark estimate of the cost of such things.
        Are you looking to find the prices of licensing in IL?

"Commercial applicators must pay a $60 annual license fee and provide a certificate of insurance with proper coverage. The insurance requirements will be sent with your application"
        From here http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environme...e/certlic.html

You also have to make a few phone calls to see what insurance will be in your area. It looks like it will be required to get your license.

That being said. I worked for TruGreen for 5 years. Loved the work, hated the corporate BS.
        What kind of corporate BS issues did you run into that you would like to change within your business?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm located in DeKalb. Hoping to be able to start by spring. Working for TG was overall a good experience. Got a lot of customer service experience. I was top 5 in sales and customer retention every year. Downside... Customers were constantly lied to about the product they were receiving. It was unorganized, and the scheduling was pretty bad. Caused a lot of unnecessary service calls. Liquid products were horribly watered down. That and we were told to put down granular fert (an already cheap and inferior product ) down at a low rate. Not to mention the price of upsell services like aerating. Lowest price was $95. I can't lie, prices were terrible for everything.

Comment

WOW that must have been one hell of an experience! What do you think caused that company to want to push itself to get worse and worse like that instead of improving?

How can a company keep from getting to that point?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X