No announcement yet.

Is there money to be made in lawn care?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there money to be made in lawn care?

My names Matt. I used to own a lawn care service called Hometown Lawn Services. I started it when I was 18 and sold it when I was 20. It was a great business while I was in it and made great money ( for a young guy ). Im now 23, out of college and I currently own a carpet and window cleaning company. I make great money but HATE the work. I always loved lawn care other than it being hard on my back.

Im now going back towards the idea of starting another lawn care business in the spring of 2014. Right now im used to making 100 bucks an hour cleaning carpet. I know thats not the case with lawn care, but my question is.. Is there good money to be made in lawn care? Is anyone getting rich off it? If not, what kind of things are you doing to make really good money? I was not in the business long enough to truly know what kind of potential there is or what things I would need to do to make good money. Thanks for all your help!

You can make HUGE $$$
    Takes money to make money, you will get what you give to this industry.
    AVOID!!! Craigs List, Flyers and door hangers. You don't want to look like a "lawn guy"

You need to be 100% legit.
    You need to be great with sales.
    Look ,speak, and be professional.
    Be creative in your marketing.
    Set a minimum rate and stick to it.
    Never compromise your prices just to land a job.
    Know the business.
    Know the business.
    Know the business.
    Invest and reinvest. PAY YOURSELF NOTHING for 1 year.

If you are building a company then build it as a company.
    The only way to reach your goal is to go all out,,,,AND DO IT!!!

This works I know for a fact

The secret to success in this business??? Is you.

Comment

You can make HUGE $$$
      AVOID!!! Craigs List, Flyers and door hangers. You don't want to look like a "lawn guy"

Know the business.
      Know the business.
      Know the business.

Thanks for the quick response! When you say huge money, give me an example of what a truck can make. Just an owner operator and then what a truck with two guys in it. Back when I was in lawn care I remember doing yards for as cheap as 25 bucks. That seems to be pretty common around here. Mind telling me your minimum?

Comment

You can make HUGE $$$

Know the business.
        Know the business.
        Know the business.

Also, avoid flyers? What other routes would you suggest? Im actually pretty good at marketing my business. I'd say its a strong point of mine. I do a lot of internet stuff. But do people really care that much who cuts their grass? For my carpet cleaning business its a little different because we are inside someones home. But mowing 90% of the time the customer isn't even home. Im a full uniform kinda guy, even mowing lawns

Comment

I would hope you already have an idea of its potential after being in the business for a couple years. Being in Michigan, with its short season, you could continue doing what your doing by adding employees while you are more active in the lawn care during the season. Break up the monotony of both while cashing in on both.
          Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
          Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
          CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! When you say huge money, give me an example of what a truck can make. Just an owner operator and then what a truck with two guys in it. Back when I was in lawn care I remember doing yards for as cheap as 25 bucks. That seems to be pretty common around here. Mind telling me your minimum?
            1 man should be able to do around 5,000 per month, 4,000 less expenses.

But that's not how the big money is made.

The whole 2 men in a truck does not work for me, we run 4 men to a truck and focus only on large jobs.

As far as a minimum rate.
            I do not service residential customers any longer. When I did I had a monthly minimum rate of 270.00 this price was for full service. we serviced 80+ at one time.

Too many factors to give you a per truck earning potential. But in my area it is not uncommon for a 2 men truck to do 10-12K per month.

Comment

Also, avoid flyers? What other routes would you suggest? Im actually pretty good at marketing my business. I'd say its a strong point of mine. I do a lot of internet stuff. But do people really care that much who cuts their grass? For my carpet cleaning business its a little different because we are inside someones home. But mowing 90% of the time the customer isn't even home. Im a full uniform kinda guy, even mowing lawns
              I do not advertise my company.
              That is why I get the customers who care.
              The best advertising is being seen. Make them see you.

Comment

I do not advertise my company.
                That is why I get the customers who care.
                The best advertising is being seen. Make them see you.
                Im interested to hear what you mean by big jobs. Commercial jobs? Schools, plazas, etc? Aren't those prices hacked quite a bit because of the low ballers? I have a friend here doing all commercial and making roughly 45 an hour.

Comment

[QUOTE=anolog139;131343]Aren't those prices hacked quite a bit because of the low ballers

NO.

Comment

[QUOTE=Florida Lawn Man;131352]
                    Aren't those prices hacked quite a bit because of the low ballers

NO.
                    So you suggest not touching residential and just going after commercial?

Comment

You may need to get going with residential customers first until you get some commercial clients.
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Where are you located in Michigan? If your in an area like where I am then you have to take on residential customers along with the commercials. Word of mouth is the best advertising one could ever have...I do a lot of big jobs and a lot of medium size jobs and a few small ones too...but I generally make more profit on the smaller jobs...not always but mostly...you can realy whip them small ones out fast...

Comment

Where are you located in Michigan? If your in an area like where I am then you have to take on residential customers along with the commercials. Word of mouth is the best advertising one could ever have...I do a lot of big jobs and a lot of medium size jobs and a few small ones too...but I generally make more profit on the smaller jobs...not always but mostly...you can realy whip them small ones out fast...
                          I'll be mowing in the Brighton mi area

Comment

I agree with ^^^^.

Florida Lawn Man is no spring chicken. Read more about him. Guys like him and DPLD have been around for a while. They know how to make the money. But they didn't start off big. They have also been around long enough to know their costs inside and out.

Get your feet wet again. Work your way up. Going big on commercial contracts can either make or break you. There are plenty of people who jumped in too quick too fast and got in way over their head. A $50K contract may sound awesome, but did you quote it right? Are you equipped? Lets say you buy all the equipment you need for it, and you lose the contract. Now what???

Lawn mowing can be profitable. Research and develope your own attack plan and go for it. Advertise, advertise, advertise. Word of mouth is very hard to get your first year. Just keep that motivation going and sell sell sell.

Comment

I can tell you with your business experience, you already know what battles you will face.
                              But it really does not matter what business your in, it has its ups and downs. Plus you are still young enough to retire by the time you are my age if you get it going again.
                              Have you thought about keeping your window and carpet biz run itself?
                              08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                              05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                              4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                              3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                              1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                              20' Enclosed trailer
                              18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                              2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...