Started two months ago - Status

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started two months ago - Status

Well we officially started working two months ago. The Trailer still needs some layout work to keep the equipment secure and easily removable.

We started with one client that I work full time with - He and his wife seem pretty happy as they had us back for a second month

One other person from work had her lawn Killed and re-seeded (Marathon II) and it was being scalped by someone. So I started on it, re-seeded the bare spots and we have grass shots in some areas. Seems the guy who seeded it mixed WAY to much 15-15-15 and I've found white areas of powdered material just below the surface while I was breaking up the surface dirt.

Lots of people have seen my trailer and two have called, converted one into a client and doing a proposal for the second. The could be a re-sod or re-seed not sure of pricing on that one.

Thankfully one the Deacons at Church has been doing this 30 years and wants to retire. He is willing to Mentor me on some of these issues. He is also willing to train the troops as I need them and than just roll into a Drive around Quality Control person. So I'm pretty excited about that.

So we have done some flyers (small sample sets in two areas- Zero calls - So the flyer needs work. I'm listed on YP, Angie's List ( have to get my existing clients to fill out reviews) and need to start pressing the word of mouth.

I did a presentation for the local Pop Warner offering to do a fund raiser for them. I figured $5.00 for weekly and 2.5- bi-weekly donations for paying clients puts me in front of 200+ families.

So currently I'm doing 8 people a month filling in with lawn work after my full time job. Today, I need to sharpen the mower blade and clean out the trailer.

Progress? I believe so.

John

Nice! That sounds like a great start. Congratulations.

Do you have a specific number you are aiming for in terms of customers this season?

Comment

Mayor of Mow Town,

When doing my ROI, I figured I needed to get up to somewhere around 4 a day (after I leave my full time job) so that's about 20 lawns, those could be shifted to a part time person for part of one day and a full day on Sat. This would free up my weekdays again and build it until I could give move it to a full day on Friday. I figured I'd do that until I filled up a single two man crew with a 6 day work week and than get another trailer and start over. That way I can build slowly and control the growth rate. That also keeps me in the positive cash flow as I'm doing the work without need to meet a payroll.

If I can do 14-16 a day per trailer than I'll be doing alright and can hire someone to run the crews. 5 years of that and I'll be able to be debt free and can devote my full time to growth.

I need to capitalize on segments of Los Angeles/orange country that are more "green" to accelerate the growth rate. I'm thinking down by UCI - 30 minutes away. If I can find a way "IN" down there, it would be worth the extra travel time as all the lawns are small and I can take over a whole cul de sac.

Learning for now so I don't blow an area with my ignorance. Some areas I won't even go into as I'm not sure I could maintain the level of service they receive now. Some of these are Highly manicured and beautiful. I'd hate to roll in there get some clients and kill their landscaping, bad form for sure.

John

Comment

That is fantastic!

Thankfully one the Deacons at Church has been doing this 30 years and wants to retire. He is willing to Mentor me on some of these issues.
        What kinds of issues do you feel you need mentoring on currently?

I did a presentation for the local Pop Warner offering to do a fund raiser for them. I figured $5.00 for weekly and 2.5- bi-weekly donations for paying clients puts me in front of 200+ families.
        What's a pop warner? Could you explain a little more about how this would work?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a plan! Awesome.

Good luck with it all.

Comment

mentoring

That is fantastic!

What kinds of issues do you feel you need mentoring on currently?
            Not sure of cut patterns for different shapes of lawns, here in California there are a lot of curves. Hedging - Not really "Feeling" it yet, I have some waves and dips in the tops and sides. Also not sure how to get a continuous radius for some shrubs. Getting rid of weeds without getting fined!!! or fertilizer for that matter.

What's a pop warner? Could you explain a little more about how this would work?
            Pop Warner is the local Youth Football league - there are 208 kids playing. I figured if half (104) families used my service that would fill up one week easy. In return I would donate between $5 and $2.50 a month so they would get about $520 or $260 a month for a donation. That build me quicker and being that my cost to get a client is so low and I write off the donation as a Tax Deduction it's a win-win. So we'll see how that goes.

John

Comment

What kinds of things are you doing with this group to get your marketing message to the parents of these kids?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

That seems to be the hard part. I will probably be showing up at practice and going though the team Moms. I'll do flyers at the games and possibly sponsor a Pizza Day.

John

Comment

I wonder if you could set up some kind of solar power display or maybe some solar panels that could help keep drinks cool. Then when people come up to you to ask about it, you could explain it and give them a business card for your company.

Comment

hmmm

I have enough "extra" gear laying around I could rig up something like that for going to the games.

I'll think about it. Maybe a Solar Ice Shaver - it's going to be Hot in Cali this year.

John

Comment

Now how cool would that be! Even if you gave it away for free. It would be a great marketing idea. I would also contact the local newspaper about it too. They could come to a game and take some pictures.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X