Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet then turns hot and dry, what do you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet then turns hot and dry, what do you do?

You start off mowing weekly, and then what happens when there is a drought and the grass goes dormant from the heat? Do you still charge them even tho you may not be cutting anything cause it won't grow? Do you still go threw the motions? IE, Last year it was wet in the spring. Some lawns where getting cut twice a week! But the middle of July-Sept, almost 80% to 90% of the yards where brown and water restrictions where in place. Some cities wouldn't allow any watering of lawns.
    Just curious. Thanks.

Weekly paying customers, no. Customers that have paid for the season in advance, you should have a clause in contract stating no refunds for weeks not cutting due to draught conditions.
    http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Do you still charge them even tho you may not be cutting anything cause it won't grow? Do you still go threw the motions?
      Are there potentially other services you can perform on the property to improve it while you are there?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

You start off mowing weekly, and then what happens when there is a drought and the grass goes dormant from the heat? Do you still charge them even tho you may not be cutting anything cause it won't grow? Do you still go threw the motions? IE, Last year it was wet in the spring. Some lawns where getting cut twice a week! But the middle of July-Sept, almost 80% to 90% of the yards where brown and water restrictions where in place. Some cities wouldn't allow any watering of lawns.
        Just curious. Thanks.
        You want to lose a weekly customer ? send them a bill for mowing when you didn't do it...Do some other trimming,etc.. for them if the grass doesn't need mowed, just make sure you keep them in the loop and they will respect that from you...

Comment

In my opinion, If you only make money when they call, or when you should, there's no point to be in this business for the long run.

Your income should always be consistent, regardless of the conditions of the season. If not, you're screwing yourself over

All the lawn care professionals don't hibernate and starve when the grass doesn't grow. Most will usually charge the clients for the season, and refuse to give 'per mowing' sales. If they want your service, make them pay for a few months worth and nothing less.

-

There's approximately 24 mowing days here, in 2011 if I remember correctly it was a very rainy season. Most of my lawns were cut 17-18 times out of the 24. The clients still had to pay because I'm operating a business, they should understand that.

Comment

There's approximately 24 mowing days here, in 2011 if I remember correctly it was a very rainy season. Most of my lawns were cut 17-18 times out of the 24. The clients still had to pay because I'm operating a business, they should understand that.
            why should anyone pay you for work what wasn't done....?

If I arrange an appointment with a customer to mow their lawn and they say "go ahead and do it, I'll leave the check under the doormat". And I take the check and leave without mowing the lawn, how is that different than what you're doing?

The only difference is my customer KNOWS I'm stealing, yours has no idea.

Comment

why should anyone pay you for work what wasn't done....?

If I arrange an appointment with a customer to mow their lawn and they say "go ahead and do it, I'll leave the check under the doormat". And I take the check and leave without mowing the lawn, how is that different than what you're doing?

The only difference is my customer KNOWS I'm stealing, yours has no idea.
              I believe Cheese charges his customers for a schedule slot. He treats it no different from your cable or cell phone bill. If you only use 1000 mins and pay for 2000 on your cell plan you don't get prorated, you pay your bill. Just another way of billing and his customers know about it as I'm sure he has a contract.

Comment

Just curious. Thanks.
                I know I got tons of those wet and dry days/weeks. I was behind in April on my spring cleanups because of so much rain we got a total of 5 inches of rain on April fools week and the week after that
                Travis: owner of Travis' lawn care

(Making your lawn look the best!)

Comment

I believe Cheese charges his customers for a schedule slot. He treats it no different from your cable or cell phone bill. If you only use 1000 mins and pay for 2000 on your cell plan you don't get prorated, you pay your bill. Just another way of billing and his customers know about it as I'm sure he has a contract.
                  First of all, you're comparing apples and oranges. Second of all, you're wrong about it.

Have you ever heard of rollover minutes? And cell phone companies can prorate a plan. What if they bill on the 1st of the month, and you join on the 20th? They prorate you for 11 days.
                  Cable companies are not selling you limited service, as Cheese, or any other landscaper is. They are selling you the opportunity to use their service unlimitedly.
                  The concept you're not understanding is "choice", or freedom, and who makes that choice and has the freedom. Cheese made the choice to not honor the agreement. This is stealing. With cable TV, or cell phone use, the customer makes the choice to not fully take advantage of the agreement, therefore the customer forfeited his or her opportunity to use the service.

Instead of comparing a monthly contract that does NOT depend on usage, you should have compared a pre-paid cell phone service. That depends on how much service is used. It's like pre-paying for 1000 minutes, and the cell phone company says, "yeah....no...we had some bad weather near the headquarters, so we're going to keep your money, but only let you use 600 minutes." That's wrong and it's stealing.

Cheese made an agreement with his customer that he would cut the grass 24 times. He charged accordingly. The customer agreed to this. The customer paid for 24 cuts. The customer did not receive 24 cuts. The customer was billed and charged for 24 cuts. How is this not wrong, and stealing?

I understand that it was raining, and I wouldn't expect him to mow in the rain. But the customer deserves a refund, or other compensation such as free bush trimming or something.

If I was a customer, I would be pissed. Why should you (the landscaper) get free money, for not doing work, just because it was raining?

But it's ok. I understand why you're doing it. You chose to make a living from a risky business. And you need more consistent, dependable income. Just don't get caught...
                  Last edited by ratchetmaster2; 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

First of all, you're comparing apples and oranges. Second of all, you're wrong about it.

Have you ever heard of rollover minutes? And cell phone companies can prorate a plan. What if they bill on the 1st of the month, and you join on the 20th? They prorate you for 11 days.
                    Cable companies are not selling you limited service, as Cheese, or any other landscaper is. They are selling you the opportunity to use their service unlimitedly.
                    The concept you're not understanding is "choice", or freedom, and who makes that choice and has the freedom. Cheese made the choice to not honor the agreement. This is stealing. With cable TV, or cell phone use, the customer makes the choice to not fully take advantage of the agreement, therefore the customer forfeited his or her opportunity to use the service.

Instead of comparing a monthly contract that does NOT depend on usage, you should have compared a pre-paid cell phone service. That depends on how much service is used. It's like pre-paying for 1000 minutes, and the cell phone company says, "yeah....no...we had some bad weather near the headquarters, so we're going to keep your money, but only let you use 600 minutes." That's wrong and it's stealing.

Cheese made an agreement with his customer that he would cut the grass 24 times. He charged accordingly. The customer agreed to this. The customer paid for 24 cuts. The customer did not receive 24 cuts. The customer was billed and charged for 24 cuts. How is this not wrong, and stealing?

I understand that it was raining, and I wouldn't expect him to mow in the rain. But the customer deserves a refund, or other compensation such as free bush trimming or something.

If I was a customer, I would be pissed. Why should you (the landscaper) get free money, for not doing work, just because it was raining?

But it's ok. I understand why you're doing it. You chose to make a living from a risky business. And you need more consistent, dependable income. Just don't get caught...

First off ratchetboy I'm really not comparing apple's to oranges. Ok i should have said pre paid, my bad. Lol. What if your sick and in the hospital and can't use your phone? Is that your choice? Anyway its a stupid argument that isnt even mine. Plus its hard to argue with an 18 year old who knows it all. You are a sage ratchetmeister.

Comment

My contract doesn't state how many mows clients are entitled to receive. I offer weekly service with *conditions.

It's pretty much a "take it or leave it" contract that they can accept, that's their choice right from the start.

So for the record, I'm not robbing anybody.

-

My clients understand that in order for me to stay in business, I need to generate consistent income or I will lose interest in my company, thus having them lose me as a service provider.

I like what I do, and I have made my terms clear.

What's so hard to see?

It's just like charging $45 to cut a small lawn, when someone can do it for $10 and coup up a small profit? ... Isn't that just as bad as what I'm supposedly doing?

Profit, profit, profit... What the heck you think we all do this for brotha?!

Comment

Hmmmm, wow. Ok guys. Didn't mean to make this into a pissing match... Haha
                        I spose its like any other contract you sign. If you sign it before reading it, then that is your own dam fault. Period.

Comment

I'm in my first year of business. I have 17 clients on contract. The way my contract reads is basically you agree that I will keep your yard mowed and trimmed for the months of April thrut Sept. You have the option of weekly at 1 price or biweekly at a different price. I will be there once a week through Sept. Period. Now if we have a wet spring I will be on the job a little longer. But come the dog days of summer I still stop by once a week. I may be there a lot less time. I am still there once a week.

Comment

I have around 20 cutting weeks up here, but b-cuz of drought some seasons you may not cut that many times. What I do on my contracts is put "as needed" for those who want to be cut every week, & I have customers that make monthly payments through the season as well, so for those I figure on 14 cuts minimum for the season, but with a clause that states if I have to cut more often b-cuz we got more rain etc. for that season, then I charge for the extra cuts done at end of season..some customers want there lawn "maintained" through the season & if its dry we still show up & do what we can on the lawn; trimming or pick up leaves etc, whatever is needed...

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X