Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it near impossible to get any more customers at this time of year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it near impossible to get any more customers at this time of year?

So, as we all know, during the first few weeks of spring, our phones ring off the hook with people needing their lawn mowed. Like late March (for some of you) and most of April.

I know I couldn't reply to e-mails, texts, and missed calls fast enough. Then it slowed down.

I feel like I need more regular, reliable clients, but I feel like it's too late in the year.
    I'm still posting several ads on craigslist daily, passing out business cards, passing out flyers, trying to talk to people on the street. But the numbers aren't coming in like they did in April, which is completely understandable.

I feel like people already have their arrangements done. They probably hired a company and signed a contract, or they already have their neighbor's kid mow it.

I guess what I'm saying is: It's too hard to break-in and score the client during this time of year. Do you agree?

What's actually funny is I was talking to a guy my age (~18) who is back from college for the summer. His parents are making him work. So he was telling me how its doing lawn mowing. This guy just got back about 3 weeks ago, and fooled around for 2 weeks or so I imagine. Then he said, oh yeah, I mow about 12 lawns. And I'm just like "how did you get that many? Just being some hooligan neighbor kid who smokes pot all the time?"

There are always people who are moving into a new home who need lawn care, people moving OUT who need lawn care until the house sells, people looking for better/more reliable service, deaths, new careers, "last guy stopped showing up", and so on.

I have a bunch of regulars who I picked up a year or two ago in the middle, or the end of the season.

Comment

When I started, it was towards the middle of June. By the end of the year, I had 16 lawns.

I always advertise. Around my area, everyone is selling their house. People are moving like crazy. Kids come back from college or school, mow till they go back or get tired of it, then I get a call.

Keep getting your name out there. The calls will come, just at a slower pace. Not to mention...where do people go around us? To OC for a few weeks. Once they get back, they start to call again.

Comment

Think about all the reasons why someone might want to hire a lawn care professional now.

Is the weather getting warmer?
        Are they already getting tired of mowing their lawn this year?
        Do they have someone else?
        - Are they not showing up regularly?
        - Are they not doing a good enough job?

Make a list. Ask everyone you know. Then use those thoughts in your marketing and make them your attention getting headlines.

Here is a flyer that might get you thinking from the free lawn care flyer section here.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I started out at the beginning of May and had 20 clients by summers end. What I did was ride around and look for over grown lawns and go knock on the door. that's how I got 90% of my business. Also if you know lawns that an LCO is cutting you could look to see what they are not doing that you could offer the customer. I found that this helped me get some jobs too. Believe it or not but The small town where I live a lot of LCO's don't offer drive way / concrete edging. They don't blow off surfaces either. I offer this as a standard service. Just get out there and go door to door.

Comment

a lot of LCO's don't offer drive way / concrete edging. They don't blow off surfaces either.
            Do you point that out in your sales pitches and do you include that in yoru marketing material?

I bet that could help you stand out.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I picked up a new client today.

While there giving the estimate, the lady next door asked for a quote - she's going to talk to her husband.

While loading my mower at another job, a car stopped and the people asked if I mow lawns, and could I stop at their home around the corner for a quote.

Also, a call came in today for a "one-time/short term" cut - on a street I already have clients on and was mowing TODAY! LOL Talk about perfect timing - no need for a second trip just for a quote!

As you can see, people always need lawn service - not just at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Do you point that out in your sales pitches and do you include that in yoru marketing material?

I bet that could help you stand out.
                Yes I do point that out. This service has gotten me several jobs that I probably wouldn't have gotten. It has also kept me from losing clients too. When another LCO is going door to door looking for lawns to mow and offering cheaper prices. My clients ask them do they offer edging and blowing off surfaces? They reply that they don't and my client will say no thanks, have a nice day. What I like is after I get the 6" plus of grass grown over the sidewalk edged back nice and pretty the client is amazed at how much better it makes their lawn look overall.

Comment

Yes, Heaps of hope. even though July and August you can find more work. There is a LOT more to do than just grass!

Comment

While loading my mower at another job, a car stopped and the people asked if I mow lawns
                    I love when this happens. AS you're unloading your mower from your truck full of equipment, someone walks up and asks "oh hey..I was curious if you mow lawns?"

What I like is after I get the 6" plus of grass grown over the sidewalk edged back nice and pretty the client is amazed at how much better it makes their lawn look overall.
                    Yes. This huge transformation is very much appreciated by the customer. And it makes me feel very proud of my work too. One issue I'm having with cutting overgrown grass back from an edge is that it seems impossible to get it perfectly edged after years of overgrown. What do you do?
                    Zoysia is the worst...that grass literally grows like carpet to overlap the sidewalk.

I got an account yesterday. It was a corner house, so lots of sidewalk trimming (thanks Santa, just what I wished for!!). There were dead, dried clippings pretty much rotted into the sidewalk and the grass had even started to grow onto the sidewalk over the clippings. I can imagine the grass hadn't been properly edged in years, if ever. I ran my trimmer sideways over the overgrown grass and probably reclaimed ~4in of sidewalk width, but it still looked like crap.
                    It was a $40 lawn, I told the owner (rental property of course) "hey man, this is pretty much the best possible turn-out for the situation I was given, it will get better with every cut".

I feel like a tard leaving the job like that, but I can't be expected to spent 2 hours cleaning up years of overgrowth, can I?

P.S. I do have an hand-held power edger, but it can only really re-establish edges, cutting through thick grass like that is a pipe dream

Comment

Yes. This huge transformation is very much appreciated by the customer. And it makes me feel very proud of my work too. One issue I'm having with cutting overgrown grass back from an edge is that it seems impossible to get it perfectly edged after years of overgrown. What do you do?
                      Zoysia is the worst...that grass literally grows like carpet to overlap the sidewalk.

I got an account yesterday. It was a corner house, so lots of sidewalk trimming (thanks Santa, just what I wished for!!). There were dead, dried clippings pretty much rotted into the sidewalk and the grass had even started to grow onto the sidewalk over the clippings. I can imagine the grass hadn't been properly edged in years, if ever. I ran my trimmer sideways over the overgrown grass and probably reclaimed ~4in of sidewalk width, but it still looked like crap.
                      It was a $40 lawn, I told the owner (rental property of course) "hey man, this is pretty much the best possible turn-out for the situation I was given, it will get better with every cut".

I feel like a tard leaving the job like that, but I can't be expected to spent 2 hours cleaning up years of overgrowth, can I?

P.S. I do have an hand-held power edger, but it can only really re-establish edges, cutting through thick grass like that is a pipe dream
                      I do exactly what you did. I tell them it will get better with every cut or if they want me to I can get it to looking really nice for XX amount extra if that's what they want. Most will be patient if they see you did a good job the first time as most ppl that have grass growing over their sidewalk are tight a$$es haha

Comment

I just started my lawn service Wednesday and as of today I have 6 clients. Granted it's a new subdivision and the yards are small but it was all done going door to door.
                        Honestly, I was surprised, I thought that most people would have already found their lawn guy.

Comment

This year I didn't go really aggressive on advertising, I have a website, craigslist add, and I handed out some door hangers. Out of about 100 door hangers I got two calls, one I didn't land the job, the other I did. The rest came from craiglist and my website. I added 5 new mowing clients this year, and I had 6 landscaping jobs and a handful of one time or short term mowing.

I didn't do much until late April and all of these clients came after that time, one landscape job came from the neighbor of one I did, he payed me upfront for all the work, and was very happy with it. I may possibly be getting a call for putting some top soil down and leveling the yard then seeding for a guy next door to where I installed the sod.

Here is the perfect example of how you can get a client anytime. My parents neighbor has a large property, it takes me close to 2 hours just to mow it alone, no trimming or anything. They are both very old (I think in their upper 80s). Well he fell and hurt his ankle and hasn't been able to mow for the past three weeks so I have been doing it for them. No I broke a couple of my own rules that I shouldn't have. I didn't charge them near enough, I didn't do any trimming or anything else, I just mowed the grass for them.

Just wait until it gets to be mid summer and really hot and all of the small pop up LCO starting dropping off like flies, I know this will happen for sure, last year i didn't start my business until the summer, I saw a few guys driving around with a homeowner tractor in the bed of their truck, or a small trailer, but the majority were pro landscapers that I saw. Right now, everywhere I go I see a homeowner tractor on the back of a truck or small trailer going to mow grass, but by mid summer most of these people will give up.
                          sigpic
                          Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

This year I didn't go really aggressive on advertising, I have a website, craigslist add, and I handed out some door hangers. Out of about 100 door hangers I got two calls, one I didn't land the job, the other I did. The rest came from craiglist and my website. I added 5 new mowing clients this year, and I had 6 landscaping jobs and a handful of one time or short term mowing.

I didn't do much until late April and all of these clients came after that time, one landscape job came from the neighbor of one I did, he payed me upfront for all the work, and was very happy with it. I may possibly be getting a call for putting some top soil down and leveling the yard then seeding for a guy next door to where I installed the sod.

Here is the perfect example of how you can get a client anytime. My parents neighbor has a large property, it takes me close to 2 hours just to mow it alone, no trimming or anything. They are both very old (I think in their upper 80s). Well he fell and hurt his ankle and hasn't been able to mow for the past three weeks so I have been doing it for them. No I broke a couple of my own rules that I shouldn't have. I didn't charge them near enough, I didn't do any trimming or anything else, I just mowed the grass for them.

Just wait until it gets to be mid summer and really hot and all of the small pop up LCO starting dropping off like flies, I know this will happen for sure, last year i didn't start my business until the summer, I saw a few guys driving around with a homeowner tractor in the bed of their truck, or a small trailer, but the majority were pro landscapers that I saw. Right now, everywhere I go I see a homeowner tractor on the back of a truck or small trailer going to mow grass, but by mid summer most of these people will give up.
                            are u talkig about ur dad tha one that felt.

Comment

are u talkig about ur dad tha one that felt.
                              No the one that fell is my parents neighbors, not my parents.
                              sigpic
                              Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X