Bi-weekly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-weekly question

Hey guys. I'm new and have a new guy question. I've noticed a couple of times in discussions that bi-weekly mows have been "quoted" cheaper on a per-week basis than weekly mows. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind this? I understand that there would be some savings to the LCO in making fewer trips to the site, or perhaps some other savings I haven't thought of (once again, new guy). Aside from benefits to the lawn itself, I was just wondering what the incentive is to the customer to be on a weekly schedule (preferred by the LCO, it appears) versus a bi-weekly schedule if it is cheaper per week for the customer to go bi-weekly? Thanks!

I don't quite understand what your saying, but for me if I charged say $30 for a weekly mow, if they wanted bi-weekly I would charge them around $45. Yes this ends up being cheaper for them for the month, but I have to charge more for a bi-weekly because it is going to take longer to do, put more wear and tear on my equipment and probably look like a mess when finished.
    sigpic
    Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

I'm new and have a new guy question. I've noticed a couple of times in discussions that bi-weekly mows have been "quoted" cheaper on a per-week basis than weekly mows. I was just curious as to the reasoning behind this?
      On the forum here, we tend to see more of the opposite. The bi-weekly mowing prices tend to be higher than if it were weekly. The goal is to give the customer an incentive to higher you weekly and to minimize the wear and tear on your equipment.
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I don't think I stated my question very well. Using xandrew245x's pricing example in his reply to my question, he said he would charge $30 for weekly and $45 for bi-weekly. My question is what is the reason for charging less per week (weekly $30, bi-weekly $45/2=$22.50) for bi-weekly when the preference is to get the customer on a weekly schedule? Other than the positive effects weekly maintenance has on the appearance of the lawn, what is the incentive for the customer to go weekly?

In other words, in this scenario why not charge $30 for weekly and $65 for bi-weekly and give the customer a financial incentive to go weekly? There must be a good reason - I just want to understand what it is. Thanks again!

Comment

Bi-weekly is a pain in the a$$, it takes longer, grass is taller, you dull your blades faster, it looks like crap, I can go on and on. But yes you seem to understant it now. And i do exactly like you stated above, bi weekly is twice as much as weekly.

Comment

In other words, in this scenario why not charge $30 for weekly and $65 for bi-weekly and give the customer a financial incentive to go weekly? There must be a good reason - I just want to understand what it is. Thanks again!
            Around me, I'd be told to F off and they would find someone else. Yes weekly is the right thing to do, but does everyone have the cash or want to spend the cash on mowing weekly? You'll find a lot don't want to.

Biweekly is a pain in the @$$, but the way I see it, your leaving money on the table by not taking it. Any biweekly job I take, I explain to them it leaves clumps, its bad for the grass, etc. But I get the same response everytime..."Thats ok. Thats what I want."

You are free to charge what you want. If you want to charge twice as much for biweekly, by all means, go for it. But remember, mowing is a very competitive business.

Comment

Around me, I'd be told to F off and they would find someone else. Yes weekly is the right thing to do, but does everyone have the cash or want to spend the cash on mowing weekly? You'll find a lot don't want to.

Biweekly is a pain in the @$$, but the way I see it, your leaving money on the table by not taking it. Any biweekly job I take, I explain to them it leaves clumps, its bad for the grass, etc. But I get the same response everytime..."Thats ok. Thats what I want."

You are free to charge what you want. If you want to charge twice as much for biweekly, by all means, go for it. But remember, mowing is a very competitive business.
              It is very competitive, I lost a potential 3+ acre job last year. They wanted it done every 10 days, I told them I couldn't do that but I could do bi-weekly. I knew biweekly for that large was going to be horrible so I quoted almost double for biweekly. Guess what I didn't get hired.
              sigpic
              Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

I don't think I stated my question very well. Using xandrew245x's pricing example in his reply to my question, he said he would charge $30 for weekly and $45 for bi-weekly. My question is what is the reason for charging less per week (weekly $30, bi-weekly $45/2=$22.50) for bi-weekly when the preference is to get the customer on a weekly schedule? Other than the positive effects weekly maintenance has on the appearance of the lawn, what is the incentive for the customer to go weekly?

Umm... because if you charge them the SAME, or MORE for biweekly as you do for weekly, they aren't saving ANY money, and THAT is the #1 reason anyone asks for biweekly cuts.

I'm sure some guys can do it, but I can't see very many clients agreeing to $65 vs $30 for biweekly vs weekly. Actually, I can't see it happening - period.

$30x4 weeks = $120
                $65x2 weeks = $130

Seriously - WHO is going to ask for biweekly cuts and be willing to pay MORE than if they were getting it cut weekly?

ETA: The only way this would go over is if the client was never told what the weekly rate would be.

Comment

Are you thinking biweekly means 2 times a week?
                  biweekly in mowing means every other week (once every 14 days)

Comment

Are you thinking biweekly means 2 times a week?
                    biweekly in mowing means every other week (once every 14 days)
                    I have some lawns that are strictly bi weekly, they just dont grow. I also have an account that they dont know what the weekly rate would be. They never asked.

Comment

In the last 2 weeks, I've gotten two biweekly accounts to go to weekly and I've dumped 4 biweekly accounts that can NOT be cut every other week without great effort.

I've replaced them with 4 other biweekly accounts that can be mowed EASILY every other week and are a fraction of the size for the same, or MORE pay.

Comment

In the last 2 weeks, I've gotten two biweekly accounts to go to weekly and I've dumped 4 biweekly accounts that can NOT be cut every other week without great effort.

I've replaced them with 4 other biweekly accounts that can be mowed EASILY every other week and are a fraction of the size for the same, or MORE pay.
                        Good deal! How did you incentivize them to go weekly? If there is no financial incentive, is it solely based on the benefits to the appearance of the lawn?

Comment

Good deal! How did you incentivize them to go weekly? If there is no financial incentive, is it solely based on the benefits to the appearance of the lawn?

There you go.
                          These were people who CAN afford to cut weekly.

The others will not pay for weekly service. They can not afford it. Understandable, but it doesn't mean I should suffer. Some other sucker can deal with them now.

Comment

may 15 till july 15th I won't mow unless it's weekly OR the price goes up insanely.

Comment

may 15 till july 15th I won't mow unless it's weekly OR the price goes up insanely.
                              That's sort of what I was going to institute as well.
                              There ARE lawns that can go 2 weeks (or more) without any issue, but during the spring/early summer, most do not fall in that category at all.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X