Starting up and using subcontractors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up and using subcontractors

I'm starting up a lawn care and landscape business. Right now I can only focus on the mowing and general care side of the business, but I was wondering to help it grow faster and get my name out to more clients would it be feasible to offer the services of the installation side of the business and use established and legitimate companies as subcontractors?

I'm starting up a lawn care and landscape business. Right now I can only focus on the mowing and general care side of the business, but I was wondering to help it grow faster and get my name out to more clients would it be feasible to offer the services of the installation side of the business and use established and legitimate companies as subcontractors?
    Not trying to bust your balls but if some new guy in the industry contacted me and wanted me to subcontract to him I would take that as a sign of disrespect. If there an established comapny they probably have full scheduals and would laugh at the though of subbing to the guy who just started cutting lawns. Every one on here says there is enough work for every one, and i agree, to an extent, I have friends in the business and I will Never take there work. But I HATE when new guys come into the buisness and think they are the sh** when they have not worked to get to the point where they can brag about there work. Again not trying to be a jerk and bust your balls but seriously....

Comment

Not trying to bust your balls but if some new guy in the industry contacted me and wanted me to subcontract to him I would take that as a sign of disrespect. If there an established comapny they probably have full scheduals and would laugh at the though of subbing to the guy who just started cutting lawns. Every one on here says there is enough work for every one, and i agree, to an extent, I have friends in the business and I will Never take there work. But I HATE when new guys come into the buisness and think they are the sh** when they have not worked to get to the point where they can brag about there work. Again not trying to be a jerk and bust your balls but seriously....
      I'm not trying to step on toes and I'm certainly not trying to come in the door thinking my sh** doesn't stink. All I'm asking is as owner of company A providing basic lawn care with a goal of adding installation services in the future and I establish a working relationship company B who is further along than me why would it be bad to request the services of company B? For example I'm out mowing a lawn and my customer mentions she'd love to have her cracked concrete walkway replaced with pavers and I mention that while I don't currently offer those services I know a company that I work with and trust that can do it. I then submit the job to company B who does the work and I get a finders fee.

Comment

I wouldn't advertise those things that you don't do. I would know people that do good work and ask for cards that way if a client asks for something refer that company and have a referral agreement set up with them. You can also ask to participate to learn those things.
        Liberty Landscaping LLC
        www.libertylndscpng.com
        Woodbridge, NJ

Comment

I can only focus on the mowing and general care side of the business, but I was wondering to help it grow faster and get my name out to more clients would it be feasible to offer the services of the installation side of the business and use established and legitimate companies as subcontractors?
          I would say it would be better to focus on you and what you can do. If you know of another company that can perform a service that is needed, sure send them work, but I don't think it would be good initially to actively look to take on work you can't do and are looking to sub-contract out.

That could become more of a problem than it's worth. Now your reputation is being hung onto another company's ability to please the customer. It's hard enough to do that when you are there doing the work yourself. The more people you get involved and the less control you have over a job makes for more problems for you.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I don't think a "finder's fee" is the same as subcontracting.

Am I wrong?

Comment

I don't think a "finder's fee" is the same as subcontracting.
              I agree, it kind of puts a little more distance between you and the other contractor performing the work. Although, if you tell the customer this is a trusted contractor, they better do a good job or you will hear about it.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X