problem #2..springs in back yard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem #2..springs in back yard

I took this job mowing from a guy that wanted to give it up last year (ya I know red flag) but it was my first year and wanted the work. The back yard is about 50ft wide and slopes down th a path leading to the ocean. When I mowed it last year it was wet in the center for about 300sqft of it. It couldbt be done on my rider so I pushed it. No big deal. I was able to get my rider down the side to mow the lower portion and the path. BIG DEAL IF I HAVE TO PUSH THAT! Now its spring and I cant get my rider past this spring area to get below. I tried pushing and sank to my ankles in the turf. I have called the owner and they say its like that every year so I have mowed the front and partial rate waiting for this to dry up enough. My problem lies in that the back is going to get out of hand and require a lot of work to bring back into lawn if I cant get on it in the next week or so. And to make it worse the rains are moving in for the next few days. Any suggestions????

Don't go back.

Seriously. I'll see if I can find the pics of the "mush yard" I picked up 2 years ago. A 21" push mower left ruts.

Price it at the rate YOU think it should cost. If they think that's too much, let some other sucker deal with it.

Edit to add pics...

Here you go.

How much was THIS job worth? I priced it at $40/wk.
    That was BEFORE I knew that if it rained AT ALL, it would be this way for at LEAST 3 days after it rained. My feet sank into the mushy ground with every step and I'm not a big guy.

Brand new mower too. That pile of grass to the right is what I scooped out from under the deck.

This job was not worth the hassle of rescheduling any time there was rain in the forecast.

Buh-BYE!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hedgemaster; 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Yup thats it! But it has been that way for weeks. I talked with the owner today and suggested drainage such as french drain type. She seemed enthusiastic about it. That is way outside of my capabilites at this time. We'll see.

Comment

Hedge, I remember when your posted those pictures last year, that is crazy how wet that is.

My moms property is divided from the neighbors property by a spring that runs on top of the ground, a good 10' on the one side and a good 5' on the other is so saturated that you can't even push mow it, The spring is probably 50' long.

Even though the spring belongs to the neighbor, he is elderly and can barley mow his grass, so my mom takes care of the spring. I have to string trim the whole thing, that is the only way to do it.

That may be your only option. I tried last year to push mow, and i got within 5' of the spring and the mower started sinking.
        sigpic
        Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

I took this job mowing from a guy that wanted to give it up last year (ya I know red flag) but it was my first year and wanted the work. The back yard is about 50ft wide and slopes down th a path leading to the ocean. When I mowed it last year it was wet in the center for about 300sqft of it. It couldbt be done on my rider so I pushed it. No big deal. I was able to get my rider down the side to mow the lower portion and the path. BIG DEAL IF I HAVE TO PUSH THAT! Now its spring and I cant get my rider past this spring area to get below. I tried pushing and sank to my ankles in the turf. I have called the owner and they say its like that every year so I have mowed the front and partial rate waiting for this to dry up enough. My problem lies in that the back is going to get out of hand and require a lot of work to bring back into lawn if I cant get on it in the next week or so. And to make it worse the rains are moving in for the next few days. Any suggestions????
          its call weedwacker simple assss that

Comment

springs in back yard
            Do you know for sure what is causing the wet ground? Is it poor drainage? Is it an underground spring? Or is it something else?

Once you know what it is and why it is happening, you can fix it.

I'd love to see a picture of the property.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I will get a pic this week. Im sure its springs. This area is full of them. The town is Stockton Springs for a reason. Im going to try and push mow it and string cut it this week. But I will get those pics.thanks guys.

Comment

Went over today and was able to push mow it although it was still spongy. It will dry up a tad nore but not much. Was able to walk and mow without leaving marks.

Comment

Well that is a good thing! Maybe you won't have to do anything more than mow the yard.
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X