No announcement yet.

young people problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what you mean. I'm 19, have been doing this since I was 13. I also don't look a day over 16. What works best for me is to be as professional as possible. When you talk with me on the phone, you don't get the typical "teen" language. I sound professional. On the job, always where a company shirt. My truck, decked out with logo's, phone numbers, ect. My trailer, big sign on the back gate. When I roll up to a property, I give off an extremely professional vibe. When they realize how young you are, they won't question your professionalism or quality of work. I've already proven that. Honestly, we have the upper hand over everyone else that is older. People are more willing to help out someone younger in business. At least that is how it has worked out for me. Good luck!

Comment

TIPS:

You should comb your chest hair so it pops out more, have it protrude from the collar of your shirt....

Wash your clothes in booze, you'll smell like everyone's grandfather.

Shave your head down the center.

Tell them you drank a youth potion before showing up, and if they hire you, you'll think about sharing some with them. - works every time!

Comment

Steve:
        I started this practice when I realized I needed to get commercial accounts in order to stay in business. I know a lot of people do very well with residential but it just wasn't working for me. So I knew there was going to be hurdles getting into commercial work especially since the big guys (who were surprisingly the biggest low ballers, you think the "old man with a pick up and a craftsman tractor" is putting you out of business...you should see what a national company whose name I won't mention but it starts with "B" and ends with "Ickman" was charging to do a development around here)

Anyway, I had enough looks and comments from residents so I figured that if I didn't come up with something that I would never be able to step foot into the commercial bids. And it worked great, knock wood I have never had anyone call me out on this and it got me into the more lucrative market. It might not be the answer for everyone but it worked for me.

Comment

was charging to do a development around here
          Did you find they would low ball a price initially to gain a foot hold and then raise prices later or do they just really bid low?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Make a website and show before and after pictures of your work. This way age doesn't matter, as long as they get those quality results that are displayed in the photography.
            They should be amazed on how young you are, and happy that you are doing something smart. There should be know doubt about your work based on your age.
            Being young, it's always best to have some kind of proof too show what you are capable of when it comes to cleaning a persons yard.
            It takes at least two steps to be 3 steps ahead!

Comment

Did you find they would low ball a price initially to gain a foot hold and then raise prices later or do they just really bid low?
              From what I got out of the property manager, they had the site for 2 years and during that second year they almost lost the contract mid season so I dont think they raised their prices the second year. Unless they started at 5 grand I dont see that. I do see them just charging very low just to get extra work. When you have all that equip and employees its easy to take a little hit just to keep everyone busy.

Comment

they had the site for 2 years and during that second year they almost lost the contract mid season
                Why do you think they almost lost it and what can others do to ensure they don't lose their contracts mid season like that?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Why do you think they almost lost it and what can others do to ensure they don't lose their contracts mid season like that?
                  I don't remember exactly what they did, it might have been just alot of little stuff. As far as I could see they did what they were supposed to. The one thing I remember was that they would miss a bed or two for mulch. So other then that there must have been a lot of little things that must have drove them nuts to almost go to the extreme of a contract cancellation.

Comment

Well as you go, I bet you will hear more from new customers on what they didn't like about a previous lawn care provider. You can jot these thoughts down and remember to not repeat them.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X