Charging for grass catchng?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for grass catchng?

This has always been one topic in lawn maintenance that completely illudes me. Some guys bag grass at no additional cost, some do, and some absolutely refuse to bag all together.

I have always personally felt that it should be necessary to charge extra because it usually takes longer (especially in the spring) and, of course, there is the cost of dumping issue. I'm starting to focus my marketing on high income areas where the lawns are a lot nicer and everyone seems to bag. I'm not sure if they are charging for this or not. I would like to give the customer the option, but I have found in some cases people are turned off to the approach of charging extra. For instance, I have one customer that signed on in the spring. I said to him it would be $25 for no bagging and $30 for bagging. His repy was, "why does it cost me more to have the grass clippings bagged?.. doesn't everyone bag?" I explained to him the additional cost in dumping and extended labor but he still didn't seem to understand. I wonder sometimes if people who own Walkers, for example, just include the price of bagging into the quote. I mean I could say it's $30 to bag, meanwhile the guy next door with the Walker might be saying it's $30 as well. But he wouldn't even be giving the customer the option because he just bags all his customers anyway.

I'd like to hear from everyone what there take on this is. Do you charge, if so, how much more? If not, why don't you?

someone with a Walker is not mowing for $30
    I charge $10 to bag if dumped there
    Last edited by willshome; 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

We have always bagged the grass. When I have a new customer to take on for the season, I tell them the price and let them know that we bag everything. I don't tell them I charge extra, I add it into the price that I quote. I feel people would respond badly if I gave 2 prices for bagged and not bagged.

Comment

I feel people would respond badly if I gave 2 prices for bagged and not bagged.
        They shouldnt, its more work and a trip to the dump. The local transfer stations wont even take clippings here. So you would have to have a place to store it.

If bagging is requested I charge $10 extra dollars but it never is.

Comment

In two years only one person specifically requested to have his lawn bagged.
          I agreed to it only because he was willing to let me leave the bagged grass there in trash bags that he would put out for pickup.

The only time I bag is when it is necessary. I never mention the "method" to clients and nobody asks. If they did, I'd up the price slightly.

Comment

I never bag. I never will. Don't bring it up with the customer, and they won't have anything to say. Heard this saying? "You talked yourself out of a sale".

If they ever bring up anything about bagging, tell them the clippings are a natural fertilizer and will save them money in the long run from buying store brand fertilizers.

Comment

i use to bag when i start mowing lawns obliviously that looks phenomenal, clean sharp, etc , then after reading several studies from different university's i found out that: mulching it more beneficial for the lawns the bagging and that bagging was a thing of the pass for conventional mowers now days every one wants to go green etc. if you see most of the lawn mower come with mulching system etc. benefits of mulching always removing 1/3 of the grass more will not do good for the grass plant.

1. makes the grass stays moist for longer periods.
              2. macro-nutrients and micro nutrients return to the soil.
              3. protects the grass plant in winter from winter damage.
              4. it will not contribuite to the mith that it will be creating thatch in the lawns that if i dot cut more than 1/3 of the lawn at the time.
              5 the lawns will require more that's a great one for us mowing
              and i can go on end on with this.
              CONS: lawn have to be dry other wise what a foooking mess
              BAGGING BENEFITS .
              1. immaculate cut.
              2. removes the grass cleanings from the lawns.

CONS
              3. stopping every freking time WHEN the bag gets full.
              4 mower gets heavy.

so this what i do SOME times when i want a sharp mowing i will mow with the grass catcher not very often 1 month in spring and moth in fall maybe. and then i dump the bag in to their garbage.

here i introduce you to Graig the gardener
              <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RKsto2FmBzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

lawn have to be dry other wise what a foooking mess
                exactly... between grass being wet and growing like weeds in the spring.. how is anyone suppose to possibly not bag? i would say 60% of my lawns this year would have looked like absolute crap if I didn't bag in the spring. the grass seemed to be wet everyday for about 3 months.

Comment

I never bag. I never will. Don't bring it up with the customer, and they won't have anything to say. Heard this saying? "You talked yourself out of a sale".

If they ever bring up anything about bagging, tell them the clippings are a natural fertilizer and will save them money in the long run from buying store brand fertilizers.
                  again, how can you not bring this up? and how can the clippings be a natural fertilizer when the grass is so high and wet it leaves big nasty clumps on the grass that will create dead patches in the lawn? and if I explain to them the benefits of mulching the grass, how do you explain that you have to charge more when the grass is either wet or growing really fast if you just said that you shouldn't bring up charging more?

Comment

We have always bagged the grass. When I have a new customer to take on for the season, I tell them the price and let them know that we bag everything. I don't tell them I charge extra, I add it into the price that I quote. I feel people would respond badly if I gave 2 prices for bagged and not bagged.
                    this is what i suspected and i'm starting to think maybe i should just do the same to avoid any confusion

Comment

I guess it depends on the type of grass, grass height, and type of mower used because I rarely need to bag and it doesn't look like "crap", nor are there clumps.

I'm not using anything special either - just a Toro Super Recycler.
                      I have noted that my 36" Ferris walk behind does not mulch as well when wet. I think it's because of the greater volume of grass being cut at once.

Comment

again, how can you not bring this up? and how can the clippings be a natural fertilizer when the grass is so high and wet it leaves big nasty clumps on the grass that will create dead patches in the lawn? and if I explain to them the benefits of mulching the grass, how do you explain that you have to charge more when the grass is either wet or growing really fast if you just said that you shouldn't bring up charging more?
                        I don't bring it up because they don't ask. They pay for a service...for me to mow. If they do ask, tell them you don't bag it, and they really can't tell the difference. Nasty clumps = long grass that should have been cut a week prior. I have some customers who refuse to get weekly cuts, so they pay for biweekly. When I mow and it leaves clumps, I strap on the blower and walk the yard. They of course pay extra.

With customers and sales....the more you open your mouth, the more likely you are to lose the sale. My best advice...quote them and SHUT UP!!! So when you advertise, and someone says "Hey, I want you to cut my grass. How much is it??" And you quote back "Well Sir, for me to come weekly, it would be $40." He then says "$40 a week? NO WAY!! I want it cut every 2 weeks!" At this point, its a perfect time to educate him on why its so good to cut the grass weekly. (I'm not typing why its good to do it weekly because Im lazy) You can explain to him that you cut weekly when the grass grows fast, and change to biweekly when the grass grows slow. Thats how I do it...because it gives me time to free up my schedule so I can advertise more, and take on a bunch of side projects.

You shouldnt charge more when the grass is wet. And if its raining, you shouldnt be mowing. A little damp is fine to cut.

Everyone here has a different way of doing things, so each guy/girl will have a way they do it. We all live in different areas, so everyones different. For example...I can't offer snow removal, but my cutting season is March/April to early November.
                        Last edited by LawnBoy0311; 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I don't bring it up because they don't ask. They pay for a service...for me to mow. If they do ask, tell them you don't bag it, and they really can't tell the difference. Nasty clumps = long grass that should have been cut a week prior.
                          i still don't think you're quite understanding me.. i do cut weekly.. in fact i refuse to cut biweekly. i see your from the east coast, where at exactly? i'm in NJ and most of my lawns grow very fast in the spring. so like i said, every week when i come to cut the lawn it's wet and really long in the spring. a lot of the lawns i have with sprinkler systems continue to grow pretty fast all throughout the year. so to not make a mess i HAVE to bag. if i were to stick to a strict no bagging system, i would have to tell the customer it's going to cost more in the spring. so again, how can you not bring this up? just bag it in the spring and throw an extra charge on there without telling them?

Comment

This isn't rocket science. If you're going to bag on a regular basis, you charge more for it - you have to. You spend more time dumping bags, loading into truck, driving to dump, paying dump fees...

No need to "bring it up", just charge accordingly and mow away!

Comment

. a lot of the lawns i have with sprinkler systems continue to grow pretty fast all throughout the year.
                              I bid with bagging for yard with watering systems, they are willing to pay to look good

Comment

Working...
                              X