Plan for 2013 Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan for 2013 Season

I started late in the season this year, and decided from the start to really wait until next season to get my business into full effect. I have been working on my plan for next year, but I have a few questions. The biggest question being figuring out my operating expenses.

I'm not exactly sure how to figure it out but here is my best guess.

Right now I have a low overhead, I don't have a truck or trailer payment, actually my truck was given to me. Here is what I believe my expenses are right now.

Trailer:$1100
    Gas:1500
    mower:$3000
    advertisement:$300
    trimmer:$300
    Blower:$300
    misc:100

My current expense is only about $11 an hour. Next year I want to aim to be a legitimate business, and work my way up to the correct equipment. What I am confused about is what should I include in my list, even though I don't need a new truck or trailer, should I still calculate it in my operating cost in case I would need to buy one?

Here is hourly operating cost of the things I want:

Truck:$7000
    Trailer:2500
    Commercial Mower:$6000
    Maintenance:$1000
    Gas:$2000
    Misc:$500
    Advertising:$500
    Insurance:$1500
    Trimmer:$300
    Blower:$300

This comes out to a total of $21600 of expenses a season, $36 an hour

Here is a cost of everything I actually need, I already have a truck and trailer, and I don't really need to upgrade them yet.

Commercial mower:$4000
    Maintenance:$1000
    Gas:$2000
    Misc:$500
    Advertising:$500
    Insurance:$1500

That comes out to $9500 a season, about $16 an hour of expense.

Should I still include the price of a new truck and trailer? As well as a price for a new string trimmer and blower?

Let me know if you think any of my numbers are off, this is based off of 20 hours a week and 30 mowing weeks a season.
    sigpic
    Carlisle Lawn Care

A biggie you need to keep in mind is taxes.

even though I don't need a new truck or trailer, should I still calculate it in my operating cost in case I would need to buy one?
    The thing is, all mechanical equipment is slowly destroying itself overtime and will need to be replaced. It's great that you have a truck now, but as soon as you are out there driving it, it will be falling apart and money will need to be put away to buy another.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Should I still include the price of a new truck and trailer? As well as a price for a new string trimmer and blower?

Let me know if you think any of my numbers are off, this is based off of 20 hours a week and 30 mowing weeks a season.
      a new commercial mower, should be faster than what you have, so it being faster will make you more productive!

If you new truck offers no advantages than what ur current has now, i wouldn't bother. If it has a plow, bigger cab, bigger bed, stronger or 4x4 (4x4 is advantage if u find yourself getting stuck i guess) that would also boost productivity

Comment

What you didn't mention was the cost of repairs and maintenance of the equipment and vehicles. Blades, oil, tires, grease. this all adds up over the course of a season. Especially if you don't know how to do the work yourself but will have to pay labor costs.

Comment

What you didn't mention was the cost of repairs and maintenance of the equipment and vehicles. Blades, oil, tires, grease. this all adds up over the course of a season. Especially if you don't know how to do the work yourself but will have to pay labor costs.
          I included maintenance-$1000, I can do pretty much everything myself.
          sigpic
          Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

didn't see that the first time.

Comment

post it notes
              paper clips
              envelopes
              stamps
              staples
              paper
              pens
              highlighters
              ink
              software
              etc...

You get the idea.

Misc. hand tools:
              knife
              wrenches
              pruning saw
              rake
              shovel
              etc...

Even if you think you have everything you need - you don't.

Comment

post it notes
                paper clips
                envelopes
                stamps
                staples
                paper
                pens
                highlighters
                ink
                software
                etc...

You get the idea.

Misc. hand tools:
                knife
                wrenches
                pruning saw
                rake
                shovel
                etc...

Even if you think you have everything you need - you don't.
                Post it notes and envelopes. Two things I always need. I'm about 5 days late with sending out invoices because I kept forgetting envelopes. Then I picked them up yesterday and forgot stamps.

I'm soon to have a workshop. So my list is stuff like welder, tire changer, lift, bagger for my ZTR, leaf loader, and some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                X