Just dose not feel right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just dose not feel right?

So last Friday I went to do a bid on cutting some weeds. I did what I do and told the person I would put some numbers together and get back to them this next week. I did hang around and chat with the person for a little while and to be honest just do NOT have a good feeling about this job. I feel I am going to work my butt off and then probably wont get paid. At this point I am ready to just leave it alone and pretend I did not even go over there and move on, I thought about demanding payment up front but I don't feel right about that ether. Any advice?
    White Company

what feels wrong?
    get 50% down payment

Comment

I would follow my gut.
      If you can't be good..Be good at it!

Comment

that's it 50% up front

Comment

I would get at least 50% up front. There is nothing wrong with that.
          http://www.fentonslawncare.com

Comment

I know plenty of people that require 50% up front. Then, if they don't pay you, at least you got half of the check...nothing wrong with that at all.

Comment

Life is to short to not trust your gut. Move on.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I think it is best to walk away from this one. %50 down is not to bad of an idea, only that I dislike taking any money up front and %50 would probably be a loss for me. If you can't make a profit why do it right? Anyway thanks again.
                White Company

Comment

I don't take any work if I know it's not something I want to get involved with.

There is this belief that just because we're grass guys, we should WANT to do every single crappy job out there, and that if we don't accept the work we are somehow bad at running our business - this is complete b.s, and you'll often hear it from people who are used to getting their way 100% of the time.

Forget the job. I turn down business all the time and understand it can be stressful to listen to the clients run their mouths after, but it's totally worth it.

Comment

Not only that but why do people think they don't have to pay us? I mean try not paying a ticket and see where you go. I hate that people think we are just bums who can't get a regular job. I DO have a full time job but do this for fun and extra money. I provide a professional service and deserve respect AND PAYMENT!! I am getting better and better at judging character so low lifes are no longer a big problem for me, at the same time though I do hate turning down jobs.

I don't take any work if I know it's not something I want to get involved with.

There is this belief that just because we're grass guys, we should WANT to do every single crappy job out there, and that if we don't accept the work we are somehow bad at running our business - this is complete b.s, and you'll often hear it from people who are used to getting their way 100% of the time.

Forget the job. I turn down business all the time and understand it can be stressful to listen to the clients run their mouths after, but it's totally worth it.
                    White Company

Comment

at the same time though I do hate turning down jobs.

It takes some getting used to when you first start out. I drove myself crazy when I'd lose even the worst clients, clients who would go without paying.

Something in our minds says a client is more important than how they effect our business, we have to rid ourselves of that thought. A client is only worth anything if we are happy doing business with them.

I dropped a good chunk of my clients one year to start fresh, and ever since I've been happier by being more selective with who I allow myself to do work for.

Remove the guilt from your life, take charge

Hope you find your way!

Comment

Gotta ask,

Why does 50% not cover your costs? Are the prices that low? If you do not want to do it, just raise your price and require a deposit. Don't ever leave a customer without a price as they may just take you up on it. Who knows, everyone else may have turned it down like you were thinking and he will have to pay your price.

For a $45 lawn, what do people figure as their cost? I'll bet that most do not know those figures.
                        Pat

Comment

My prices are generally higher than some but it's hard to explain my area where I may have a 2 hour round trip just to do a job. This job was to cut an entire property, not your average city lot but a fairly large country property. This time of year I do not use my tractor because of the HUGE fire danger around here which means I will be walking behind a field and brush mower. I estimated 8 hours total to cut the whole thing, they wanted it cut and all clippings removed, my quote was to cut and remove no clippings at $150, this is already $50 lower for a days work than I aim for, I got the sob story of money being tight and figured I would do them a favor, $50% down "$75" if they skipped out on the other 50% like I fear then it would be a big loss, not a loss on gas, wear and tear but a big loss on my time.

Gotta ask,

Why does 50% not cover your costs? Are the prices that low? If you do not want to do it, just raise your price and require a deposit. Don't ever leave a customer without a price as they may just take you up on it. Who knows, everyone else may have turned it down like you were thinking and he will have to pay your price.

For a $45 lawn, what do people figure as their cost? I'll bet that most do not know those figures.
                          White Company

Comment

If this is a full days worth of work then your really low balling yourself. If you gotta use the brush mower and then clean up all the clippings that's a ton of work, plus the 2hr round trip. I would definitly charge upwards of $400 for a days worth of work, more if i had to rent a brush mower. (which costs $150 per day). Just my 2 cents. would walk away if he doesn't want to pay up front and you got a bad feeling.

Comment

My prices are generally higher than some but it's hard to explain my area where I may have a 2 hour round trip just to do a job. This job was to cut an entire property, not your average city lot but a fairly large country property. This time of year I do not use my tractor because of the HUGE fire danger around here which means I will be walking behind a field and brush mower. I estimated 8 hours total to cut the whole thing, they wanted it cut and all clippings removed, my quote was to cut and remove no clippings at $150, this is already $50 lower for a days work than I aim for, I got the sob story of money being tight and figured I would do them a favor, $50% down "$75" if they skipped out on the other 50% like I fear then it would be a big loss, not a loss on gas, wear and tear but a big loss on my time.
                              Well it looks like the problem is the bid. If they think your low bid is high. I would not even consider doing it. You wouldnt have made out with the job even if they paid.

Comment

Working...
                              X