X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xandrew245x
    started a topic New lawn care business

New lawn care business

Hey guys, I have recently started a part time lawn care business. I have a lot of background with maintaining lawns. I have been taking care of my parents businesse's lawn, my grandmothers lawn, my moms house and my moms rental house for the past 3 years, so I have a little background with lawn care.

I'm set with my equipment, I have a 5x10 trailer, a 50" zero turn, a push mower, string trimmer, edger, backpack blower and a lawn sweeper.

So I can do the mowing and trimming part, but i can't say i'm to good at the business part, so I have a few questions.

My first question is pricing. I used the estimators on this site and for a lawn that I will be mowing this week for a new customer it says I should only be charging $12.50, that doesn't seem worth it. Should I say, charge a minimum service charge of $15-20 and then add the 12.50 on top of it?

My second question is, what happens if my clients grass doesn't need mowed yet for that week. Should I just mow it on a higher setting and charge them for it, or should I water their grass, and find some other things to do for them to occupy my time there, and then charge them for a visit.

Thank you in advance for all your input.

• xandrew245x
    replied
    Received a call today for hedge trimming and mulching! (hedgemaster, I could use some pointers from your specialty)

The way she described it, it should be a pretty easy straight forward job, she has a row of hedges on one side of her property line and wants them trimmed then mulch put under them. Should only be 1 yard of mulch.

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    Call me...I will help you out with the big stuff so we both can make a few bucks...
    Will do, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
    replied
    Being a one man operation, and right now only doing this part time what services could I handle doing. I offer mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, flower planting and grass seeding, fall, spring and storm cleanups and weeding.

I know I could handle most of them on my own, but weeding and mulching concern me. If its a house with just normal beds around it that's only about 4 yards at most of mulch, I could handle that, but what if someone wants a job done thats like 10 yards or more of mulch, that is a lot of mulch to move by one person.

Should I just turn these down, or find some quick help to get it done, or even sub it out to someone else?
    Call me...I will help you out with the big stuff so we both can make a few bucks...

Leave a comment:

• Rdelahunr
    replied
    I would advertise on all eight and they cover almost every category, including oldies, soft hits, hot country, talk, etc. I would get them for free so it's a nobrainer but want I know what kind of response I'll get. Also, should I start advertising this summer in order to catch all the lake cabin owners before they winterize their cabins even though I'm not starting my business till next summer?

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    Being a one man operation, and right now only doing this part time what services could I handle doing. I offer mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, flower planting and grass seeding, fall, spring and storm cleanups and weeding.

I know I could handle most of them on my own, but weeding and mulching concern me. If its a house with just normal beds around it that's only about 4 yards at most of mulch, I could handle that, but what if someone wants a job done thats like 10 yards or more of mulch, that is a lot of mulch to move by one person.

Should I just turn these down, or find some quick help to get it done, or even sub it out to someone else?

Leave a comment:

• SECTLANDSCAPING
    replied
    Has anyone here tried advertising through radio? My family owns eight stations and I get free advertising. Will that fill me up with 20 accounts within a month?
    TV and Radio both probably work good. Since most dont know what it cost or even who to contact to pull it off. We dont know much about it.

Now what would they normally charge? How many times a day? What time of day? What genre is the radio station?

Leave a comment:

• Rdelahunr
    replied
    They give me everything I need but things like golf clubs, spending money, etc. I have to get on my own. And it's a group of eight stations throughout my whole family, my immediate family only owns 1 1/2 stations. I want money so when I go to college I can afford not to eat Mac and cheese and ramen noodles everyday.

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    If your family owns 8 radio stations..Why r u mowing grass
    Better question is, if it's free why question it, just do it and see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
    replied
    If your family owns 8 radio stations..Why r u mowing grass

Leave a comment:

• Rdelahunr
    replied
    Has anyone here tried advertising through radio? My family owns eight stations and I get free advertising. Will that fill me up with 20 accounts within a month?

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    Does anyone remember the thread about a guy inventing a leaf collector that would mulch and bag it for you, I can't seem to find his thread. I wanted to share this with him.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home...eafy-and-green

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    Well, this being my first real bid I want to try at all costs to get it, but I don't want to sound desperate, but if I don't hear anything in a week or two, i want to know whats up.

Leave a comment:

• willshome
    replied
    i never do but thats just me

Leave a comment:

• xandrew245x
    replied
    So I never really got an answer to my question, should I call them in a couple days or should I wait a week or more, or should I not bother calling at all?

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X