No announcement yet.

New lawn care business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To avoid clients not wanting to pay you, you need to only accept post-dated checks.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Grass Doctor; 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

So I'm doing my first real job this week, all my clients so far have been family and friends. It is going to just be a one time mow no trimming, but I will be blowing the grass off the driveway. It is about a 3 minute drive from my house, his yard is about 20k sq feet, and is pretty easy to mow. About how much should I charge? I was thinking $25 dollars.
      sigpic
      Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

everywhere is different with prices. You really need to figure out your cost and the going rate in your area. I would charge $50-$60 if that helps.

Comment

everywhere is different with prices. You really need to figure out your cost and the going rate in your area. I would charge $50-$60 if that helps.
          That seems pretty steep for a job that would take me only about a half hour to do.

I tried the calculator and it said to only charge 12.50 for the job. I think an easy way for me to do quotes would aim for a certain amount of money made an hour. So if i'm looking to make 25-30 an hour, I should really only charge him about $20, I then have my mothers house to mow which only takes me about 45 mins and I only charge her $25, so thats almost $45 an hour.

I'm really not sure about estimating and pricing, but i'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.
          sigpic
          Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

chearge the client 40.00 them ur mom 20.00 thats 60.00 an hour

Comment

Okay, so $40 for just a mow, how much should I be charging if I were to do the trimming and the edging of this place to? $60?
              sigpic
              Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

That seems pretty steep for a job that would take me only about a half hour to do.

I tried the calculator and it said to only charge 12.50 for the job. I think an easy way for me to do quotes would aim for a certain amount of money made an hour. So if i'm looking to make 25-30 an hour, I should really only charge him about $20, I then have my mothers house to mow which only takes me about 45 mins and I only charge her $25, so thats almost $45 an hour.

I'm really not sure about estimating and pricing, but i'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.
                Well first off most shoot for $45-$60 a hour. You have to account for travel time and all your expenses in your hourly rate. You wont last long charging $25 a hour and will become miserable soon.

The lawn calculator is based off the numbers you put in. This is what it said when I did it. If the job will take you 26 minutes your total bid should be $43.46 which includes your profit mark-up.

If its just a small amount of trimming it wont add much to the price. Maybe $5-$10 if that. I always include trimming in the price.

Comment

How much profit markup did you put in the calculator?
                  sigpic
                  Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

Nevermind, I figured out what I was going wrong, I only work about 10 hours a week for lawn care, and I was putting that under the amount of weeks worked a year, not under the amount of hours worked a week, no wonder it wasn't working right ;P silly me.

Now that I figured that out. It says I should charge exactly $30
                    sigpic
                    Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

How much profit markup did you put in the calculator?
                      didnt change that just added my expenses. Instead of truck payment I add my auto, and GL insurance and so forth. A easy way to bid is a dollar a minute but with lawns you should figure a price for 1/4,1/2,3/4 and 1 acre. Then adjust based on difficulty and trimming.

Most have minimum charge between $25-$35 no matter how big the property is.

I would have your mom call 2 or 3 companies for estimates. Then youll see what the competition is charging and you already know how long it takes to do it.

Comment

I would have your mom call 2 or 3 companies for estimates. Then youll see what the competition is charging and you already know how long it takes to do it.
                        Okay, I like that idea Im going to ask her to do that for me.

So if I charged a minmum of $25 to go out, how much would I charge on top of it to do the job? The estimator says $30 for the whole job, so with a $25 base fee and $30 estimated cost, should it cost $55 for the job? Or should i charge like $40.
                        sigpic
                        Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

Another question, I live in pa, winters are very strange here, sometimes we get hammered with snow, others there is no snow.

I considered doing snow removeal in winter, that honestly when I could use more money anyways. I don't want to get a snowplow for my truck, but I do have a snowblower. Could I use the snowblower to remove snow from customers driveways, or is that just stupid?

I would also hand shovel their sidewalk, and anywhere I missed with the snowblower, then salt their driveway.

I know it would take much longer with a snow blower, thats why i'm asking if its even worth it.
                          sigpic
                          Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

lol. I've never had the calculator come up with a price that low. At the very least you need to have a minimum charge to show up. For me that's $ 50 bucks. Or tell the customer it's a monthly fee just like the phone bill. $ 150 per month to keep your place in good shape and I decide how to go about that.

Comment

Anyone have any input on my snow removal idea.
                              sigpic
                              Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

Anyone have any input on my snow removal idea.
                                people do it with blowers or atvs. The problem is you have to charge the same as the guy that uses a plow and does the driveway and walks in 5 mins. So you can still get $40-$50 a driveway but youll be working longer and harder then the next guy.

A idea would be to find a plow guy that doesnt do walks. This way you just go house to house doing the walks. This will cut your time down a lot and youll get volume.

Comment

Working...
                                X