No announcement yet.

Another start up thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did he ever say why he was getting out of the business or offer you any business advice about getting customers in your area?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

that was an exceptional boat! i would have loved to have that (if i had 3k)
      looks very good on the set up, (I wanna see the mower tho!) i am in the same process you are, my first season and all but i don't have a current job, i have school tho but still have tons of time to focus on the business, i have been reading books on how to start my business and everything.

I started writing my business plan Friday, I wasn't sure if it was really necessary to have one when I am just cutting people's grass.... but I am 25 pages in to it and it really is an eye opener. I am nearing completion of it and will be getting my professors to look at it over the week. Now that i have gotten in the process of writing the plan i would highly recommend you write one as well.

I would summarize a business plan as "putting your ideas on paper"

my professors really emphasize on the importance of having one, they say its a business's number one tool. if something isn't working, you go to your plan and change it to get it working the way it needs to be.

I have used this plan as a guideline, I would say its a pretty decent one (because they are still in business today) but, it is missing the financial parts which in my eyes are the most critical.
      http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-...sinessPlan.pdf
      Last edited by Chaz; 01-23-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

here is the mower. good idea about the biz plan write out.

as for getting business from the guy, unfortunately no. he bought out another guy and some of this equipment came with the deal. so he basically bought
        some accounts and got a boat haha

Comment

Chaz,

how many miles were on that truck? geez thats cheap!!!

as for the trailer, i would not need one that is enclosed because i would keep my equipment in my garage for certain. This was it is safe, no need to pay for a shop. Only thing i would imagine an issue would be is the rear gate being too tale. i am sure i could figure something out though. Just remove it every night or something.. not sure but thats a small issue right now.
          forgot to reply to this...
          285k on the truck, but my previous car had 405k so that doesn't scare me.

it isnt an enclosed trailer it has sides that are 24" high, this trailer is excellent for mulch! I bought it off of craigslist for 1,000 the guy had bought it like the year before for 1,700 (had receipt) and said he used it about 4 times which it looked like.

they have cheap trailers all over craigslist for like $200+ but I wanted something that i know wasn't going to break. it has full size tires and everything. I also wanted the 24" sides to haul mulch and other things in, If i do a clean up job it is very convenient to load by hand on to a tarp and then just pull the tarp off of the trailer (depending on debris weight). With such tall sides it isnt too hard to secure 4x8 boards to extend the height.

this is a picture of it on facebook
          http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5316428&type=1

The mower looks great, Dixie chopper is one of the top brands around here.
          Last edited by Chaz; 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

ive thought about getting rid of the enclosed trailer and doing one like yours. but i am in a tossup. i see most end up getting enclosed if they can afford it and obviously is better for bad weather and could be used for many things. throwing trash after clean up wouldnt happen though. would but then i have a huge cleanup when i get home. problem is the weight. but not too bad and could deal with it with the right vehicle. still need to get a hitch installed on my dads Isuzu Trooper 1998. wife's 2008 Mazda CX-9 would work but don't want to get it dirty. its the baby mobile.

once and if and when i get this off the ground, i will defiantly pick up a truck.

as for the mower, runs GREAT! i think it is a great starter for me and yes, one of the better brands. i know by means is this a top of the line mower but confident it will do ME right..

Comment

I bet most would say keep the enclosed for security reasons. I'm small time and I operate of my truck on the side but that means loading and unloading. Next year I will move up but since I have about 15 customers and to much going this year I just can't expand(new baby, air force school, coach soccer, and a full time medical job). Wish I had a enclosed trailer.

Comment

Thanks and good point. Thing is, i have to keep the trailer in the front of the house all the time, still with no accounts as i mentioned, i just got the equipment. don't want someone to take the trailer of course, and if so, defiantly not all my equipment. would be different if it was in my backyard or something. thinking of putting the trailer at my dads storage lot in the mean time until i get some accounts. hopefully within a year i will be buying a house and plan on having a shop in the backyard. maybe park the trailer next to it or something and only taking the mower out.

as it is right now, i have no locks for anything and the trailer is completely empty. i do like the idea of keeping everything in the but not the mower. or parking it to where the gate is not accessible..

Comment

Thanks and good point. Thing is, i have to keep the trailer in the front of the house all the time, still with no accounts as i mentioned, i just got the equipment. don't want someone to take the trailer of course, and if so, defiantly not all my equipment. would be different if it was in my backyard or something. thinking of putting the trailer at my dads storage lot in the mean time until i get some accounts. hopefully within a year i will be buying a house and plan on having a shop in the backyard. maybe park the trailer next to it or something and only taking the mower out.

as it is right now, i have no locks for anything and the trailer is completely empty. i do like the idea of keeping everything in the but not the mower. or parking it to where the gate is not accessible..
                  i would decal your trailer asap, that's free publicity in your neighborhood. also put a padlock on the hitch in the closed position. that will help deter someone.

Comment

Put a lock on your trailers hitch mount.

Also, you asked about pressure washing your equipment.

A regular hose, even with a 'pressure' nozzle will not do any justice.

Get out the pressure washer and watch your equipment turn brand new before your very eyes!!!

Watch out for the electrical + battery, and filter, other than that go crazy.

I would also suggest getting these products;

As your ride’s exterior ages, rubber, plastic and vinyl exterior hardware of all colors will dry, crack, flake and deteriorate. This oxidation can be stopped and reversed with MothersŪ Back-to-BlackŪ, our favorite auto-care concoction. This trim treatment is great for all sorts of exterior hardware in all colors — bumpers, molding, louvers, window trim, vents, seals, skirts, door handles, wiper arms — anything that’s plastic, rubber or vinyl. Apply Back-to-BlackŪ to sun-burnt plastic, rubber and vinyl to revive the factory-new sheen, then re-treat that exterior hardware regularly.
                    Your equipment will always look new, and freshly painted.
                    Last edited by CHEESE2009; 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. figured i would put a small rag over the exhaust and unplug the plug cap and go to town and hope for the best on everything. with the mower, pretty much just go at it.

Comment

i would decal your trailer asap, that's free publicity in your neighborhood. also put a padlock on the hitch in the closed position. that will help deter someone.
                        I disagree with the closed positioned padlock I lock it it in the open position you can take most hitched apart enough to get it on the ball and reassemble it locked. when you lock it open you would have to cut the lock to steal the trailer safely.
                        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

because it would bounce off or something over a bump or angle change from rear of vehicle to tongue right? is that what you mean by in open positioned?

Comment

I disagree with the closed positioned padlock I lock it it in the open position you can take most hitched apart enough to get it on the ball and reassemble it locked. when you lock it open you would have to cut the lock to steal the trailer safely.

I'm trying to picture all of this in my head.

I would personally lock it in the closed position. If it's open, anyone with a hitch can pull the trailer, especially if they have duct tape to secure it

If someone had the patience/nerve to break the lock and hook up the trailer to their vehicle, they've earned it, and it's long gone.

Comment

or anyone with some big go-nads could just put the chains on there and drag it away. thats my ultimate fear.

i think i like the locked position better though.

Comment

or anyone with some big go-nads could just put the chains on there and drag it away. thats my ultimate fear.

i think i like the locked position better though.
                                Well... I was in a broken old truck, which was just chained to another truck in front of me. The other truck was tugging me to the junkyard and I had to keep the vehicle as steady as possible and apply the breaks when necessarily. IT SUCKED!

The person who does this will most likely have a noticeable dent/hole in the back of their vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X