Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some equipment advice

Hi all,

I am starting out next season (virginia) in a new business. Have decent equipment except for my mower. It is a 2 year old Craftsman yts 3000 (same person makes as makes Husqvarna AVP) cuts good and is in good order. I can get a practically new Cub Cadet ltx1046 for $1000 (14 hours). Looking at it from image point of view I am thibnking the Cub sittn on the trailer will look a little more legit/professional than the craftsman. Any pointers will help

If you think that image is more important, just get a can of paint so nobody knows it's a Craftsman.

Use what you have until you can afford to upgrade. I started this season with all residential grade equipment - mostly Craftsman - and I now have a Stihl trimmer, Echo Handheld blower and Backpack unit that I purchased (all new) as replacements/upgrades to the original gear.

Comment

I started out with a old MURRY rider that i bought off a guy on craigslist, i used that for a year. . . looked like a POS but did the job. . .start out with what you have and upgrade when you can afford too. .

Comment

Looking at it from image point of view I am thibnking the Cub sittn on the trailer will look a little more legit/professional than the craftsman.
        This is a very interesting question.

Looking at it from a consumer's point of view, what do you think they would see and why? How would that effect their interaction with you?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

well

Well as a customer i can hire any kid with a mower to do it. but if i am looking at signing a contract i want the firm to look professional. when I look out on the trailer i wanna see equipment that looks like it will last the whole season of doing my lawn(and others). and from a business owner just starting out i wanna have any advantage I can over the 'fly-by-night' firms. I am also a police officer and in my experience when u look like u can do the job correctly and efficently .... it helps (think of the fat cop eating the donuts... perception IS reality to most people)

thanks

Mike

Comment

I would save your money for when you can afford to get a mower that is commercial grade. The Cub that your looking at is not really any better then the mower you have.
            I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

A solid 80% of my clients are not home when I mow. They have no idea what equipment I use. The only people I'm going to impress with "good stuff" is the other landscapers who see me while I'm on the road and I'm not trying to impress any of them.

Comment

A solid 80% of my clients are not home when I mow. They have no idea what equipment I use. The only people I'm going to impress with "good stuff" is the other landscapers who see me while I'm on the road and I'm not trying to impress any of them.

I can see how running around with a nice truck and a commercial grade ztr would help you gain some customers. However a cub vs a craftsman is not going to make enough difference to warrant the money your talking about. Save your cash if you want to look like a pro and buy a good ztr or walk mower.
                I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Why is a police officer running around mowing lawns? I am sorry you all were thinking it, I just said it. Ok that being said F all that. I use ALL MTD stuff, mostly TB and my push mower is Bolens, they are all made by MTD. My truck is a 1996 Dodge, nice truck but by no means new, my trailer is a 10yo converted boat trailer. Its not about the size or color, its how you use it. My tractor is a 2009 TB and still runs and looks like new, just take care of your crap and it will last forever, if you go out trying to look "Legit" you will be out of business in 3 years for spending all your money on shinny new needless equipment. Steve, Can you please link the article you wrote about the rig I started with? I think that can help greatly here.
                  White Company

Comment

Why is a police officer running around mowing lawns? I am sorry you all were thinking it, I just said it. Ok that being said F all that. I use ALL MTD stuff, mostly TB and my push mower is Bolens, they are all made by MTD. My truck is a 1996 Dodge, nice truck but by no means new, my trailer is a 10yo converted boat trailer. Its not about the size or color, its how you use it. My tractor is a 2009 TB and still runs and looks like new, just take care of your crap and it will last forever, if you go out trying to look "Legit" you will be out of business in 3 years for spending all your money on shinny new needless equipment. Steve, Can you please link the article you wrote about the rig I started with? I think that can help greatly here.

Top of my head? Because it pays better?

May not be the case here, but have you ever seen what police officers get paid? It's insulting.

"tricitylawnenforcement"... That's awesome. Is that your business name too?

Comment

thanks

Yes that is my business name. Tri-City Lawn Enforcement LLC. The slogan is "In Pursuit of Your Lawn's Order"

@jason....because I have have 7 years to retire. And I am tired of cop work but have too much invested in the retirement system. and sometimes I just wanna get the heck away from the 'job'

@hedge..... u are part right. We dont make a fortune but this is for extra since with the budgets the state has we get 0% OT.... we get comp time. so when i have to take this 'comp' time off I can go out and make some cash.

@all others.... thanks for the advice, I will just keep my yts for the first year and if all goes well I will put the money into a zero turn next season

Mike

Comment

Well as a customer i can hire any kid with a mower to do it. but if i am looking at signing a contract i want the firm to look professional. when I look out on the trailer i wanna see equipment that looks like it will last the whole season of doing my lawn(and others). and from a business owner just starting out i wanna have any advantage I can over the 'fly-by-night' firms. I am also a police officer and in my experience when u look like u can do the job correctly and efficently .... it helps (think of the fat cop eating the donuts... perception IS reality to most people)
                        Mike I agree with you that image is everything. However can the average home owner tell the difference between a consumer 21" mower and a commercial one?

For instance look at these two photos, would a home owner think one was better than the other?

My view is no they wouldn't. The one on the right is a commercial unit, but how would they know?

Instead of spending money on the mowers, would it make a bigger impression to make sure you have some nice customized shirts, pants, and hat to create your own uniform?

Or make sure your truck and trailer look nice and clean and have signs on them?
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Well I agree with you to a point but your customers can tell the diffrence between these two mowers.

The problem is what can you afford starting out. It will likely take you a few years before you start doing well at any new business, debt will kill you.

Comment

That is a good point, so maybe using lawn tractors should be avoided? I do wonder though what kind of thoughts a home owner would have on that.

Since there are commercial grade garden tractors such as this one:

Is it possible that to home owners, the look of a ztr looks more professional than anything else?

Comment

May not be the case here, but have you ever seen what police officers get paid? It's insulting.
                              I can attest to that. There is a reason I have a side business.
                              One of a dying breed; the servicing dealer. A Servicing Dealer services what they sell and are factory certified to make these repairs. Find & support them.

B&S Master Service Technician, Kohler Expert Technician & Honda Engine Technician. Website

Comment

Working...
                              X