Homemade grass clipping collector project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade grass clipping collector project

I am considering offering a clipping collection service, so I can pull a leaf collector while mowing with the rider and doing double service for more money while doing the same amount of labor. I was thinking of making this dump trailer into a clipping collector. I will be buying new blades soon and will be willing to pay a little extra for the blades I need to give the grass enough lift to go up the chute into the collector. I was thinking of building a large box out of 3/4 in. plywood and cutting a hole in the front of it for the tube. I was thinking of fabricating the bracket to fit the cub cadet mower deck, and then getting some 10 inch flex tubing to attatch the deck and box together for a grass chute. I know I will have to cut a hole in the side or top of the box and cover it with chicken wire of wire mesh to let the air vent. I will be mowing up to 1 1/2 acres. I need to know the dimensions of a box I would need to make to get it all in less than 3 stops to dump the clippings. The trailer is 2' 4" wide, and I will have the length tommorow.

Last edited by 1955_Chevy_6400; 10-28-2011, 11:08 PM.

The bed is 4 feet long, but I could let about a foot of box hang off the back.

Comment

Are you thinking about having some kind of gas powered suction unit assisting your mower? I don't know if it will be able to shoot the grass through a tube and into your trailer without some assistance.

Here are some pictures of what I mean.

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Ditto what steve said. Your tube would be almost 6' long, and there is no way your mower would get it up that far w/out assistance. Why do you want to bag clippings? Much healthier for lawn if left in lawn.

Comment

I meant to say in the original thread to get a suction motor, but I was in a hurry and forgot to add that in. I saw one on another forum and one guy had an idea simialer to mine, but he got his suction motor off of ebay for around $300. I was thinking of mounting this on the tongue. He had a very short tongue on his, so he made a little single axle trailer that went between the collector and the mower, but it was impossible to back up and was basically a lawn train. I plan on using that type of motor, but not that type of setup. I want to offer this service because some people do not want clippings in the yard to tickle their feet, but I do not see the point. But, the customer is always right.

Comment

Maybe you just need a smaller trailer? If you look at some of those leaf suction trailers that are towed behind tractors, they are pretty small and lightweight.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X