No announcement yet.

Confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the worst situation I have seen was a guy smoking a cigarette while mowing on a zero turn with some torn up clothes. That just doesn't look professional and it was VERY sick for me to see it because it was on a commercial property.

I usually park a block away from a client, smoke, then pull up. LOL.

I'm sure it wasn't the owner, and if it was, he's probably just having one of those days. It's hard to be on your best behavior 24/7 all season long. Sometimes, the last thing you could give a damn about is what people think of you - but you are right. Appearance will always be important.

Comment

That is true. Sometimes people do just have "one of those days". I've had a few myself.

As you said if its the owner I'm sure he was just having a bad day.

It seems a lot of the guys around my area don't even attempt to dress decent.

I suppose they have too much business to really care about gaining more clients.

Comment

I suppose they have too much business to really care about gaining more clients.
        It's a shame that little things can effect us in the long run.

Me personally, one clients attitude can effect me for an entire season. All it takes is one of them to do me wrong, that I lose trust in all humanity, lol!

When something bad happens, the little annoyances start to add up, and in order to vent you may do self destructive things like not caring about image or quality work.

When you are working for a company, you are upset when you aren't paid and often slack off. Being a business owner means to always give 100% even when losing money, it's tough sometimes.

Comment

I actually had a few bad situations over the summer that made me rethink a lot about things.

I had a customer that was about an hour away from me and I put West Charlotte on my craigslist advertisement on one of the areas I serve and put $10 extra surcharge for gas. So I went to this job to mow their lawn and stood out front for 30 minutes ringing the door bell the lady said she would be at work but her brother would be home to pay me and unlock the back gate. So I was getting pissed and went to my car and the guy looked out the window and was saying "I dont need a lawn guy I'm cutting it myself! GO HOME!" so I was super pissed and was like "an hour ago your sister told me to come cut your lawn and I drove an hour for this property" and he insisted I go home so I went to my car super pissed and he finally came outside and said he was sorry and wrote me a check for way more than I was asking for my trouble.

So I cut it, went home, and then cashed the check and it was a bad check. Small claims charges $80 in Mecklenburg county to investigate and the check was for $60.

Just one situation where I really questioned humanity.

Comment

So I cut it, went home, and then cashed the check and it was a bad check. Small claims charges $80 in Mecklenburg county to investigate and the check was for $60.
            How did that ultimately work out? Do you think there were any lessons you learned from that which have effected the way you operate?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

The biggest lesson learned was you can't trust everyone especially as a business owner. Many people want to get "something" for absolutely "nothing".

Also not doing contracts or even a "one time service" agreement for the one time cut was a bad idea.

Now I plan on typing up a "one time service agreement" and for the one time cuts and of course aim for contracts on the long term clients. I also do not accept checks anymore but maybe in the spring when I get a business bank account opened I will.

Comment

Now I plan on typing up a "one time service agreement" and for the one time cuts and of course aim for contracts on the long term clients. I also do not accept checks anymore but maybe in the spring when I get a business bank account opened I will.
                In such situations as performing one time cuts, do you feel it is better to have them sign a lawn care contract or work signing an estimate agreement that authorizes you to do the job for the written cost, be easier to present?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                X