No announcement yet.

Company info on truck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you might have hit the nail on the head as not being legit. When I first bought commercial auto insurance something that my agent said was "you dont want to be in a accident with lettering".
    So are you saying that, it is illegal to have signs on your truck if you don't have commercial auto insurance?

I am only starting off next season and I wasn't planning on buying any insurance for the first year as I imagine it being an extra hassle plus extra expenses.

Also to have any logo or signs on your truck, do you need to have an F plate or it isn't mandatory?

Also what are the pros and cons of having commercial insurance?

Thanks guys!

Comment

So are you saying that, it is illegal to have signs on your truck if you don't have commercial auto insurance?

I am only starting off next season and I wasn't planning on buying any insurance for the first year as I imagine it being an extra hassle plus extra expenses.

Also to have any logo or signs on your truck, do you need to have an F plate or it isn't mandatory?

Thanks guys!
      you would have to look into local laws for the answers to your questions.

some insurance policy's will not pay out in a wreck though if you have business signs on your truck but do not have a commercial policy so that is what most people are likely talking about.
      I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Thanks guys!
        its not illegal but if its in the police report or the insurance adjuster sees it. They will use it as a way of not paying the claim. I had a insurance company drop me because I was a pizza delivery driver.

Not sure about the f plate.

Liability. Its about losing your assets. You wont be able to step foot on a commercial property without it. Since 60% of my business is commercial its a must have.

Comment

Thanks guys!

So being protected if you should throw a stone through someone's eye is a "hassle"?

I found business liability insurance for around $350-$400 a year. Not that expensive when you consider everything else that you'll be spending, or the fallout after hurting someone/damaging their property.
          Getting insurance was hands down, the EASIEST part of becoming legit. If you think that's a hassle, wait until you find out all the other stuff you may need to do.

This thread isn't about insurance though. Check your local/state laws regarding required coverage. Some people are saying they must have commercial auto policies, others (myself/PA) do not. (but there are exceptions)

The thing that was mentioned before about the signs is that if you ARE required to have a commercial policy, but do NOT, then having signs on your truck would indicate that it's not a "personal vehicle" should you be involved in an accident. Bad. Well, not really, because if you're operating illegally, you SHOULD be punished.

Comment

A downside I could see to lettering your truck is if your town does not allow you to park commercial vehicles in your residential driveway.

Have any of you ever had a problem with this?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

A downside I could see to lettering your truck is if your town does not allow you to park commercial vehicles in your residential driveway.

Are you serious a law saying you can't park your work truck in your home driveway
              Like were do these people live USSR
              Man that is scary. I hope your just kidding?????

Comment

To Ducke, he's not kidding. Not every city or town has a law like that but some do. The excuse is that a commercial vehicle takes away from the residential look...the real reason is the revenue generated by fines so they can have more money to waste.

A lot of times you see neighborhood Associations pass a rule like this. They want to make every house look the same basically. My buddy lives in one that has rules from no fences unless it's a white post fence to no more than 5 bushes in front of the house, to the color of mulch they can use.

Comment

To Ducke, he's not kidding. Not every city or town has a law like that but some do. The excuse is that a commercial vehicle takes away from the residential look...the real reason is the revenue generated by fines so they can have more money to waste.

A lot of times you see neighborhood Associations pass a rule like this. They want to make every house look the same basically. My buddy lives in one that has rules from no fences unless it's a white post fence to no more than 5 bushes in front of the house, to the color of mulch they can use.
                  Yea Saber you're right. My town has some similar ordinances. We're allowed to have one commercial vehicle in the driveway, but if you have more than one, it's a violation.

Comment

And with that being the case, I wonder how the township would handle a truck and enclosed trailer all lettered up with business information? Would that count as one or two commercial vehicles?
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I live in a condo, the association wont let me park my enclosed trailer in the parking lot. So I park it in the street right in front of the building. lol. So instead of being hid in the lot its in the open.

Then the property group that manages the condos hired me for snow removal for a apartment complex across town. I wanted this property since the contractors last year sucked. My fiance fell twice when she was pregnant.

Comment

That's something I hadn't considered. It's possible, however not as likely as some other ideas mentioned.

According to the rules for operating a business from my home, I'm not allowed to park "commercial vehicles" at my home.
                        I didn't ask what they meant, but assume they mean heavy equipment, although I suppose it could mean "dump truck" as well.

Personally, I don't have an issue with this, as I would be pissed if some slob started a business next door to me and crapped up the neighborhood with all sorts of unsightly "crap". Some people can be trusted to handle themselves in a professional manner - it's those who can not who bring about these "laws".

Comment

And with that being the case, I wonder how the township would handle a truck and enclosed trailer all lettered up with business information? Would that count as one or two commercial vehicles?
                          In my case, I believe trailers are not in the same category. I've had code enforcement officers on my block and they never said anything about my truck/trailer combo.

Comment

I don't have lettering on my outfit, but that's because I was told (by a misinformed individual) that If I put lettering on my truck I would need a D.O.T number. However, that is not the case, and I need D. O. T. numbers anyway.

I guess one would not letter if they were trying to keep their personal auto instead of commercial auto, if they have an ordinance against having commerical vehicles in driveway, or if they do a really crappy job, and don't want anyone to know who they are.

And if you don't have business liablity insurance, get it! What if you put a rock through someones sliding glass door, hit someone in the eye with a rock, or worse yet, hit something that goes into the road and causes an accident, and even kills someone. You will be done. W/out insurance, you could loose everything.... even your home. It's the best few hundred dollars you will spend to cover yourself.

Comment

I don't have lettering on my outfit, but that's because I was told (by a misinformed individual) that If I put lettering on my truck I would need a D.O.T number. However, that is not the case, and I need D. O. T. numbers anyway.
                              What is the situation with the D.O.T. number? When is it or isnt it needed?

Comment

You need a D.O.T. number if your more than 10,000 lbs gvw. My chevy 1/2 ton is 4,600 lbs, and my tandem axle trailer is 7,000 lbs. That's a combined total of 11,600 gvw. Its the total of the gvw, which is what you could haul, not what it weighs. They are free to get.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X