Grass 14-16 inches tall.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass 14-16 inches tall.

Grass 14-16 inches tall. What will be the best way to cut this?

Cut with your deck all the way up, you'll need to cut it a few times. If this isn't a regular cut in the future, I would pass on it all together.

**Beware of hidden obstacles!!!** Walk it first and take it very slow when mowing if you decide to do it.
    Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
    Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
    CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Cut with your deck all the way up, you'll need to cut it a few times. If this isn't a regular cut in the future, I would pass on it all together.

**Beware of hidden obstacles!!!** Walk it first and take it very slow when mowing if you decide to do it.

I AGREE^^^ DONT WRECK YOUR MOWER OVER A 1 TIME CUT. . You Never Know What Is Hiden In That Grass!!

Comment

what are you going to try & cut it with?
        Evansville Lawn Mowing
        Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Grass 14-16 inches tall. What will be the best way to cut this?
          Use your weed whacker to knock it down, Then you can mulch it with your mower.

Comment

Follow up

I am new and have a craftsman 21 inch mower, and already purchased an echo trimmer. If I use the trimmer first then cut it with the mower will the bag still catch most of the grass? Or will I still need to hand rake it.

Comment

I cut overgrown grass all the time. I cut a normal height and go real slow. If I set my deck height up ,it just lies down and doesn't get cut at all, even with new sharp egdes. Most time you will need to double and triple cut it to get all the grass.
              [IMG]http://www.********.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225801&stc=1&d=1310868 945[/IMG]
              14 to 16" ,Try 8' I cut this about three weeks ago. Those are 8' tall weeds next to my Grasshopper.
              [IMG]http://www.********.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225811&stc=1&d=1310877 357[/IMG]
              Attached Files

Comment

14" tall grass & a 21" mower - your best bet is probably to walk away from this one. The potential damage to your equipment is probably not worth what you would make doing it.
                Evansville Lawn Mowing
                Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Heh. I think all I did this spring was cut high grass.

Here, check out these pics of my Toro chewing up some ridiculous growth...
                  http://www.gopherforum.com/showpost....8&postcount=33

I don't think my old Craftsman would have been able to do it, but the Toro is a beast. Cut on max height, then lower it. You can try mulching first and bagging on the second (or third) pass if you need to keep it neat.

Good luck!

Comment

I am new and have a craftsman 21 inch mower, and already purchased an echo trimmer. If I use the trimmer first then cut it with the mower will the bag still catch most of the grass? Or will I still need to hand rake it.
                    I would walk away, or charge enough to buy a new pushmower.
                    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

If you decide to do the job consider a brush hog **** big line trimmer on wheels. Go over it once with the hog cutting higher than the mowing height then go over it with your mower for a finish cut.
                      http://www.drpower.com/trimmer-mower_features.aspx

The cords will damage things that a regular trimmer wouldn't so use the hog for the bulk work only. Get around the edges and details with a regular trimmer.

I'd rake the cuttings from the first cut since you would have to dump your mower bag really often if you picked it up that way.

Ask the customer about sprinklers or other known obstacles. Examine the area carefully for obstacles and problems.

Charge appropriately for all that work and rental of the brush hog. If they won't pay the price then don't take the job. Be sure they know that a normal mowing is much cheaper.

Comment

I recently cut a property where the grass was 28 1/4 inches high. now, with two people doing this property it took us a little over an hour. @ $35 per man per hour.

We mowed over the grass 4 times. We started by cutting the grass down by 3inches using trimmers (not the curved shaft) then mow it over slow at 2nd minimum speed. The grass looked like it was never that high.

I charged the property manager $150.00 for the hour work.

Comment

SHEEP !!!!! lol

Comment

I recently cut a property where the grass was 28 1/4 inches high. now, with two people doing this property it took us a little over an hour. @ $35 per man per hour.

We mowed over the grass 4 times. We started by cutting the grass down by 3inches using trimmers (not the curved shaft) then mow it over slow at 2nd minimum speed. The grass looked like it was never that high.

I charged the property manager $150.00 for the hour work.

I'm a bit confused, did you charge the low rate of only $35 per man hour? I figure that to be about $90 if 1hr 15min per guy @ $35 per hr.

If you charged the $150 it sounds like a better $60 +/- per man hour which in my opinion is a fair rate for the extra abuse on the equipment.

Either way the rates which you state you were working and billing are conflicting.

Just sayin'

Comment

SHEEP !!!!! lol
                              I've seen property owners (not in the city) who apparently thought the grass was to expensive to get under control or just more work than they wanted to do just burn their yards in little controlled burn areas. I suppose this get's it all back down to the nice even height of ground.

Maybe, they were just hoping to get a chance to file an insurance claim that would pay off well enough to replace the landscape.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X