Need some advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice please

Its been awhile since Ive posted as I landed a fulltime job. I still want to start a lawn care business and since Ive been getting regular paychecks, in the last 2 weeks I have purchased a new trimmer and a new blower.

My dilemma is I drive a 2 door scion tc and Im having a hard time figuring out how to haul the mower. I could spend 170 and install a trailer hitch and either

A. Save up the money for a 4x8 trailer and go against every manufacturer warning against towing anything or..

B. Spend another 150-200 on a hitch cargo carrier but Im not sure if they make them wide enough to fit a push mower on.

Im so motivated to get my business going and acqquiring a truck is out of the question right now. Can anyone give opinions please? I'd appreciate it!

If this guy can haul a mower, I'm sure you'll figure something out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you?

I bought this because the average cargo carrier isn't wide enough for a mower to fit...

Here's a link to the product.

I think with a sale price and a coupon I paid $179 for it and it's probably the best spent money thus far. I can haul my mower into the city without needing to drag my trailer with me. I didn't want to remove my truck cap just to haul a freaking push mower (mower won't fit inside), and besides, I'm too lazy to be lifting a 97 lb mower in and out of a truck all day. A carrier with a RAMP was just the ticket!

Good luck!

ETA:

My big-a$$ 2 stage snowthrower fits on it as well!

and so does my chipper/shredder...

and you can carry other stuff as well...

Last edited by Hedgemaster; 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Does the Scion have a receiver already?

Comment

Does the Scion have a receiver already?
          No, it does not. I would have to buy one from etrailer.com for almost 100 bucks. Plus some drilling is required on the frame for bolt on.

Comment

Do you have a Harbor Freight anywhere near you?

I bought this because the average cargo carrier isn't wide enough for a mower to fit...
            That is exactly what I need! There is a harbor Freight about 50 miles from me. Thank you so much for the info Hedgemaster!

Comment

I'll just have to watch the tongue weight as it's only rated for 200 lbs.

Comment

I'll just have to watch the tongue weight as it's only rated for 200 lbs.
                From the product info page...
                Shipping Weight: 65.55 lbs.
                66 lb carrier plus the weight of a push mower should be well below 200 lbs.

Heh. I wasn't sure what the thing weighs. I can carry the thing when I remove it to haul my trailer. It's awkward as heck with the ramp on there though.
                I replaced the ramp hinge bolts with locking hinge pins so I can pull them out to remover the ramp, making it easier to carry. That said, I rarely do that any more.
                I added plywood because the open floor made it tough to keep the mower where I wanted it. I just use tie-downs to secure it.
                The thing is a bit of a pain to assemble, but not impossible. If you've ever assembled any "furniture in a box", you can relate.

Make sure you call to see if they have one in stock before you drive 50 miles. (and be sure to use the 20% off coupon!)

Comment

(and be sure to use the 20% off coupon!)
                  I cant seem to find the 20% off coupon...it says theres a sale through the 10th but I wont be purchasing it within that time frame.

Comment

Have you set up an online account with Harbor Freight yet? I believe shortly after I did I received sales info. as well as coupons in my email. Hedgemaster did your coupon come from email or a flyer?

Comment

haha..I "liked" HF on Facebook and now theres an add right on this page.."BUYONLINE20" is the coupon code....wonder if it will still work in a few weeks.

Comment

expires on the 15th, I recommend revisiting the site when you're ready and they'll link you another coupon

Comment

Have you set up an online account with Harbor Freight yet? I believe shortly after I did I received sales info. as well as coupons in my email. Hedgemaster did your coupon come from email or a flyer?
                          We get HF ads in the mail on a regular basis since there are multiple locations around Pittsburgh. They are usually found in with the other coupons or in the Sunday paper coupon section. I have bundles of them paper clipped at home and in the truck.

I've not signed up online, nor have I joined the "saver club" or whatever it's called, but the 20% off coupon is a regular thing. I've seen that same cargo carrier "on sale" for $199 for months and months now. I think SOME of their "sales" are just a way to get people to buy sooner than later, as they never seem to "expire".

Comment

A truck is the way to go Sorry.

Comment

My dilemma is I drive a 2 door scion tc and Im having a hard time figuring out how to haul the mower. I could spend 170 and install a trailer hitch and either

A. Save up the money for a 4x8 trailer and go against every manufacturer warning against towing anything or..

B. Spend another 150-200 on a hitch cargo carrier but Im not sure if they make them wide enough to fit a push mower on.
                              Why not get a hitch and install it yourself and save for a trailer.

Check and see the difference in price between a cheap trailer and one of those harbor freight attachments.

If the difference is slight, the trailer will allow for more growth than the harbor freight attachment.
                              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                              X