Price per SF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price per SF?

Ok so I got sick of ether always bidding low or bidding high so I devised a plan to bid the same for every single lawn. I got a measuring wheel today. I use my lawn as an example. I pay myself $20 to mow and edge my own lawn, it is 700SF according to the wheel which breaks down to about $0.03 per SF. Is $0.03/sf a good price to charge or am I wrong? I figure if its like mine, just a quick mow and go then $21 which is $0.03X700 is a good price. Any comments?
    White Company

My lawn in 11513 square feet. According to your formula how much would you charge me?
    Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

My lawn in 11513 square feet. According to your formula how much would you charge me?
      $345.39 dose that sound about right?
      White Company

Comment

No! 11k sqft is 2 small city lots (about a quarter acre). I charge $30 takes about 35 minutes. I think I see a bit of a flaw in your plan.

Comment

ouch! That is really steep...
          http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

I look at the lawn and estimate how long its gonna take me to complete the mowing trimming blowing edgeing. Then I bid a dollar a minute this has never failed in getting anything I quote.Try it see if it works for ya

TNT

Comment

I look at the lawn and estimate how long its gonna take me to complete the mowing trimming blowing edgeing. Then I bid a dollar a minute this has never failed in getting anything I quote.Try it see if it works for ya

TNT
              I tried the whole $1 per minute thing but it did not fly up here. I dont know what the deal is with people. I have had several of them call me back after crying about $35 per hour for something only to find I was the cheapest.
              White Company

Comment

Ok so I got sick of ether always bidding low or bidding high so I devised a plan to bid the same for every single lawn. I got a measuring wheel today. I use my lawn as an example. I pay myself $20 to mow and edge my own lawn, it is 700SF according to the wheel which breaks down to about $0.03 per SF. Is $0.03/sf a good price to charge or am I wrong? I figure if its like mine, just a quick mow and go then $21 which is $0.03X700 is a good price. Any comments?
                Pricing by the square foot works great if you are cutting empty lots with no side walks or obstructions. It falls apart really quickly on a lot with lots of trimming, edging and tight places that depending on your mower size may end up being cut multiple times as you transverse the property.

You might be able to tweak your formula and add a multiplier depending on how difficult the property is. Of course the calculators on this site pretty much take care of that for you.

Is your calculation based on actual lawn or the size of the lot?

Comment

No! 11k sqft is 2 small city lots (about a quarter acre). I charge $30 takes about 35 minutes. I think I see a bit of a flaw in your plan.
                  Thats not 2 small city lots, maybe where you are from but like I said I am judging of my lawn which is 700sf, about the same size as every other lawn in town. I do have about a half acre but i am not estimating the entire thing, only the green grass outside the front door. I have not attempted this on any large areas yet, I normally will charge $50 per hour to do the larger areas out here. Maybe the formula for SF has to go down with size, for example the little front lawns here would be good at $0.03/sf but maybe something like 11,000sf would be better charged at $0.01/sf for a total of $110? Dose that sounds better? Maybe the $0.03 is good for everything up to 2,000sf or something then you go to $0.02 up to 6,000sf then go down to $0.01 for anything larger than that.

I know there is a formula to use sf for billing, its just a matter of massaging it to figure out the proper price. I think I am getting somewhere with this lowering it a penny every couple few thousand square feet though.
                  White Company

Comment

... maybe something like 11,000sf would be better charged at $0.01/sf for a total of $110? Dose that sounds better? ...
                    No. That's still about 4 times too much. About $30 is my price for 11k. If you charge about $50 per hour then your price should be somewhere around $28 for 11k.

Comment

THat's not a bad plan but how do you take into consideration longer services due to overfertilizations by other companies or the customer themselves? How do you handle double cuts or bagging clippings in these cases?

Comment

No. That's still about 4 times too much. About $30 is my price for 11k. If you charge about $50 per hour then your price should be somewhere around $28 for 11k.
                        How do you make any money doing it that cheap? One of the properties I did last weekend was an acre and I did it for $200, maybe its just the difference in area that we are in but this acre needs to be cut as low to the dirt as possible and takes about 4 hours time to hit it with the tractor then go all the way around the fence with the trimmer. I mean for $30 I could not even load the tractor up and drive the truck out there. I know my price for that particular property is good to because I know the people and know what they paid before having me do it which was about $480 for 3 Mexicans to do a half a$$ job. Thats why I got the job because I was cheaper and do it how they ask for it to be done. I know after adding it up for the property size my price is only $80 more than yours but I like to have money left over after paying for gas and insurance and licensing and all that fun stuff.
                        White Company

Comment

To be honest, use the wheel to measure beds for size when your doing mulch jobs to figure how much product you will need. Estimate how long it will take you to cut the lawn and quote what you feel it should be. Using a $1 a minute is a good way to look at it. That would include the time to do the trimming.

Comment

To be honest, use the wheel to measure beds for size when your doing mulch jobs to figure how much product you will need. Estimate how long it will take you to cut the lawn and quote what you feel it should be. Using a $1 a minute is a good way to look at it. That would include the time to do the trimming.
                            How would using that method work on larger jobs? For example for my yard that would cost the client about $30 which is not bad but for the larger one I did last week it would cost the client $240 which is actually $40 more than I charge them. Dose that mean I am under bidding that big job or would you drop the time/min for larger properties?
                            White Company

Comment

Its really how you feel. You may have gotten $240 for that job or maybe not. People will pay if they like the quote. Even $200 was probably a good idea, I usually round off also. Depends on the situation, if there is a lot of trimming to do etc, if its an easy mow.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X