No announcement yet.

Price per SF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your quoted price of $345.39 for an approximately 35 minute job works out to about $590/hour! That's pretty sweet if you can get it.
    $590 per hour, WOW I am in the wrong business...... wait no I'm not lol. I have been trying to stay away from an hourly rate, its not what you make in an hour its what you get done and what its worth to the person paying you there for if someone was going to pay you $1,000 per hour to pick your nose then get to pickin.
    White Company

Comment

the lawn was 3/4 acre and it took 45 min per cut this house had so many beds all over there yard then it took awhile to all the blowing the final bill was 155$
      If they request the extra cuts then I charge them for it. If I do it to satisfy myself then it's on me. I do often spend the extra time on a lawn for my own personal satisfaction.
      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

If they request the extra cuts then I charge them for it. If I do it to satisfy myself then it's on me. I do often spend the extra time on a lawn for my own personal satisfaction.
        I agree. If you cant be happy with your work then whats the point. I find myself spending more time than I want to with a lot of jobs but I just cant see myself driving away until it looks like I would want it to look if it were my house.
        White Company

Comment

Lawn Prices

I am thinking of starting a business. I have most things in order at this point. I called a few places to get their estimates, one was 65 bucks for my lawn which is 1/4 acre or 11, 000 sf, $65 was to high but then i got another and the guy said 25 bucks which is a good price (for the customer) but i think that is unfair to other lawn mowing businesses undercutting them like that. I was going to charge 34 dollars for each 1/4 acre and then for every 1/4 acre after the first i do a 20 percent discount. I think those are fair prices for me its not to high and not to low, you've got to keep things competitive i wish all businesses could get on the same track but with greed and ppl just needing the money it probably won't happen.

Comment

I am thinking of starting a business. I have most things in order at this point. I called a few places to get their estimates, one was 65 bucks for my lawn which is 1/4 acre or 11, 000 sf, $65 was to high but then i got another and the guy said 25 bucks which is a good price (for the customer) but i think that is unfair to other lawn mowing businesses undercutting them like that. I was going to charge 34 dollars for each 1/4 acre and then for every 1/4 acre after the first i do a 20 percent discount. I think those are fair prices for me its not to high and not to low, you've got to keep things competitive i wish all businesses could get on the same track but with greed and ppl just needing the money it probably won't happen.
            Undercutting will never stop. It will get a lot better when jobs come back to America and this economy improves, the bottom line is there are to many desk jockeys out mowing lawns now and dont care if we stay in business or not.
            White Company

Comment

I can't follow what's being discussed in this thread. It's as though everyone is on a different page with these calculations. Something does not compute.
              I realize that California rates are going to be higher than here in PA, but by THAT much??? I don't get it.

Honestly, I'm too new to this to know what a 1/4 acre lot looks like. (or even what the dimensions are) When you say "1/4 acre", is that a ballpark figure for an entire property, including the house, or do you just "count" the grass area?

I tend to think of it in "time needed to complete the job", as opposed to "size" at this point. It takes me about 30 minutes to do my lawn and I'm told that the average cost to cut a lawn my size/in my neighborhood is around $35.

Comment

I can't follow what's being discussed in this thread. It's as though everyone is on a different page with these calculations. Something does not compute.
                I realize that California rates are going to be higher than here in PA, but by THAT much??? I don't get it.

Honestly, I'm too new to this to know what a 1/4 acre lot looks like. (or even what the dimensions are) When you say "1/4 acre", is that a ballpark figure for an entire property, including the house, or do you just "count" the grass area?

I tend to think of it in "time needed to complete the job", as opposed to "size" at this point. It takes me about 30 minutes to do my lawn and I'm told that the average cost to cut a lawn my size/in my neighborhood is around $35.
                A 14 acre for me dose not count the house, only what I am cutting and I charge for the most part $50 for it unless its impossible to use my tractor because of a steep grad or to many rocks then we go hourly to use trimmers.
                White Company

Comment

A 14 acre for me dose not count the house, only what I am cutting and I charge for the most part $50 for it unless its impossible to use my tractor because of a steep grad or to many rocks then we go hourly to use trimmers.
                  Assume you meant 1/4 acre...

To give me some perspective, how long do you think it would take you to do that same lawn using a push mower (not a walk behind - a standard push mower) instead of the tractor?

Comment

Maybe 1.5 ours. The only thing I can compare it to is I mowed a half acre 2 years ago with my push mower and the mowing and edging took 3 hours, The next day I got the tractor lol. Yes I meant a 1/4 acre.
                    White Company

Comment

Calculation Form here said it would take 25min. to mow 11000 sq.ft. so call it 30 for loading/unloading and take what you want to make an hour divide it by 2

Comment

Calculation Form here said it would take 25min. to mow 11000 sq.ft. so call it 30 for loading/unloading and take what you want to make an hour divide it by 2
                        Sounds about right.

If I made $590 I could work for one week and skylark the rest of the year. So if I come out to california and work for two weeks, Jasonw keeps half for doing the billing. Then I can go home.
                        Last edited by mark123; 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Ok so I got sick of ether always bidding low or bidding high so I devised a plan to bid the same for every single lawn. I got a measuring wheel today. I use my lawn as an example. I pay myself $20 to mow and edge my own lawn, it is 700SF according to the wheel which breaks down to about $0.03 per SF. Is $0.03/sf a good price to charge or am I wrong? I figure if its like mine, just a quick mow and go then $21 which is $0.03X700 is a good price. Any comments?
                          sounds to low i would do a minimum of 30.00 from what your describing , u really have to bid each job different u need to look at how much edging or blowing , they could have 3\4 of there property paved u would spend 1\2 ur time blowing especially when the pollen is falling , also do they have a gate can u get the bigger mowers back there , time is money i dont know how established u are but before u know it u will b payin high insurance and high taxes . on top of the high grass dont sell ur self short
                          tom

Comment

Thats not 2 small city lots, maybe where you are from but like I said I am judging of my lawn which is 700sf, about the same size as every other lawn in town. I do have about a half acre but i am not estimating the entire thing, only the green grass outside the front door. I have not attempted this on any large areas yet, I normally will charge $50 per hour to do the larger areas out here. Maybe the formula for SF has to go down with size, for example the little front lawns here would be good at $0.03/sf but maybe something like 11,000sf would be better charged at $0.01/sf for a total of $110? Dose that sounds better? Maybe the $0.03 is good for everything up to 2,000sf or something then you go to $0.02 up to 6,000sf then go down to $0.01 for anything larger than that.

I know there is a formula to use sf for billing, its just a matter of massaging it to figure out the proper price. I think I am getting somewhere with this lowering it a penny every couple few thousand square feet though.
                            I base my price on the sq. ft. of the property 'Example' Up to 8,000 $20, 8001 to 15,000 $25, 15,001 to 25,000 $35 etc. I live in Fl. With those prices i'm not the lowest or highest in my area. I'm competitive (smiling) Bye the way i'm licensed n insured n registerd through sunbiz

Comment

Is $0.03/sf a good price to charge or am I wrong? I figure if its like mine, just a q

Could try $15 just for showing up and then multiply the footage by about .0014. This seems to get you within a few dollars of the quarter acre and full acre rates. However I think I would have to determine how long it takes to top, edge, and blow to work that into the formula. Maybe .0009 per square footage mowed, a multiplier for edging, $.50 for each tree to go around and so on.

Comment

How do you make any money doing it that cheap? One of the properties I did last weekend was an acre and I did it for $200, maybe its just the difference in area ...
                                I can only tell you what happened to me on Thursday. I mow a commercial lawn and as I was doing it the secretary came out and asked me to give her an estimate on her mother's lawn for one cut every other week. After I finished the cut, I drove over to do the estimate. It came to $22 so since I was done for the day I went back to tell her.

"$22??! She is not going to spend that kind of money!" I've never in my life heard $22 called "that kind of money". LOL

So, yeah. I'd say it's the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X