No announcement yet.

Starting New in FL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!! I am new here and I too am in Orlando. I started recently but only focusing on the area by the airport. This too is a side job for me. My "real" job pays me well so i bought an eXmark 30 commercial and an eXmark 52 laser x with the red technology. I bought a 6x12 open trailer, made magnetic signs for my current car "wife's 2014 Honda Odyssey-talk about soccer mowing dad", got a website, insurance, license, and just had 1000 postcards printed and mailed out to a radius of within 1 mile from me. Hoping I didn't shoot myself in the foot as I offered a free shrub service with the signing of a 1 year contract. Only limited the time offer until June and they haven't gone out yet. We'll see the results.

Comment

You may think 'I gotta have-insert fancy equipment here- to make money." I know a guy locally who mowed with a push mower for over 20 years. He focused on small yards, that 'THE BIG COMPANIES' could not due truly efficiently. He charged the same that everybody else charged (About 25 per yard) did all the work that everybody does, even stopped and chatted with the old women. He put one kid through college.
      Now as to having only 2 customers-when I first started I had year one with 5 full customers and 3 or 4 that would call when they wanted their grass cut.
      Now you can build slowly, and provide what will become your signature-perfect service. Or you can build fast and get a reputation for shoddy word because you cannot do the work well and do it in 'the right time'. Now there are people who will psha that and say they do great work, fast and built their business fast, but if they were truth full it was only because they had good help.

Comment

I undertand. I plan on building slowly and providing quality work. I have a reputation to keep. I'm on the board of 2 communities and need to maintain a good reputation if I want to acquire HOA communities in the future. Not the ones I manage, but I need to make sure the management company sees my company as a reputable and reliable business providing quality work and knowing that I stand behind everything we do.

Comment

I'd love to see a picture of the set up you have with the van and trailer.

Also keep us posted on how the marketing goes! I hope your offer gets you a lot of responses!
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Postcards are on the mail. As far as the van, I just bought a RAM1500 so no more lawn mowing soccer dad. I'll post pics next week. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the reaction from the postcards. Also got the website finished and online.

Comment

I look forwards to hearing about the postcards.

Also got the website finished and online.
              Don't forget to get your lawn care website optimized with your seo techniques. Either read about that on the forum or in the book.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Well, the postcards were delivered today and my wife got a call at noon. A client wants us to go to his property and give him an estimate. He complains that his current provider barely cleans up after themselves. He has a hard time getting a hold of anyone and he is tired of it. We shall see.

Comment

This sounds very exciting!

I hope you get more calls and this leads you to doing more mailings throughout the year.

Comment

Well, went to give the customer a bid for mowing. This is to include shrubs and keeping the oak trees and palms trimmed up. Also asked me to bid re-mulching, installing a weed barrier and putting up a privacy fence with bushes throughout the back fence in his yard. ;-) He has a 52inch gate in the side leading to the back. I'm hopeful I can get the ZTR back there if not the 30 will have to be. Even mowing it with the 30 shouldn't take more than 35 minutes with edging, trimming and blowing. Any suggestions?

Comment

That sounds like you got some good work there.

How much mulch will you be installing? What do you normally charge per yard installed?

How much do you charge normally for 35 minutes of mowing?

As far as the fence goes, have you installed one yet? Did you measure it out and start looking at the costs involved for materials?

Comment

Check my quote. The areas combined are about 550 sq/ft (5 yards of mulch). The job constitutes removal and disposal of old mulch, re-define the edge of the beds (I have a Stihl redefiner), client wants weed barrier installed, and then add large pine bark mulch to 3 inches depth. With pick up and delivery of materials, dumping old mulch, and labor, the quote was $805. This does not include the privacy fence in the back. I am working on a quote for that one as he wants Podocarpus and wants them kind of tall already. The area is 69 feet long and I am estimating 32 plants. The big ones I am being quoted at around $50 each!!! I can get the smaller ones for a lot less. The area in the back is 69 feet by 3 feet. I have to mark the area, remove old sod, till new sod (top soil) and plant the Podocarpus. Also, I have to define that bed, put weed barrier (customer's request) and mulch. Not too clear on how to price the sod removal. I also quoted him $100 per month to mow, trim, edge, blow, and keep the bushes and plan trees trimmed up. His yard is on the smaller side so with everything it would take me about 30 mins. There's only 2 big bushes and a hedge that's about 13 feet long. One palm tree and 2 oak trees to just remove some of the branches that droop down. Also, the house is less than a mile from where I live. ;-) How did I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, the privacy fence estimate will include relocating of the sprinklers and adding what's necessary to water the privacy fence. That will be done by my neighbor. He's an irrigation contractor.
                        Last edited by mightybslcs; 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Anyone? No suggestions?

Comment

With pick up and delivery of materials, dumping old mulch, and labor, the quote was $805.
                            Did you get the job at that price?

How did I do?
                            How much time did you estimate it would take you versus how much time did it take you if you have already done the job. Once you know the difference in time, you can figure out how you did on it.

Keep me posted.

Comment

Been a while but this is my setup with the truck. I have 2 magnetic signs I put on the doors when I go out to work. Planning on making a large metal sign for the back of the trailer. Just picked up 2 weekly accounts. As far as the bids, I'm not sure if he's ready to do them now. I do know that if I get them I will definitely get a helper or 2 to speed up the process. I bid a small job of installing 200 sq/ft of sod and did it myself at 2 pm!!! I also think I underbid it and wasn't too happy while working it.

20140707_124220_resized.jpg

Comment

Your set up looks great.

I bid a small job of installing 200 sq/ft of sod and did it myself at 2 pm!!! I also think I underbid it and wasn't too happy while working it.
                                What did you bid it at and what do you feel you should have bid it at?

How long did the job take you and how long did you initially think it would take?

Comment

Working...
                                X