Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The top money-making services

Hi Everyone!

I'm just starting out with my lawn-care business. I've been going at it now for about a month. I have grossed about $1500 in one month. By all means I understand this is nothing to brag about I'm just trying to give all the relevant information.

I'm willing to offer all kinds of services to my customers. My question is, what are the top profit-producing services? Can some-body give their opinion of the top money-making lawn care services?

Thanks,
    Will Sewell

SewellsLandscaping.com

What i would say right now, Exceptional work in high end neighborhoods!

As far as the best profit producing, i would say new installs, and mowing more efficiently!
    (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

Installs are awesome I love installs, and full sod jobs from A-Z. big money, 2 man crew can do 12K sq.ft. in a little under 12hours total. BIG BIG MONEY .

The higher end neighbor hoods do yield more in profit but, you also have about 80% more bitching, complaining and call backs to "redo" a job than any other. Pays off tho, and if youre there ASAP, they tell EVERYONE, evolves into a full time job.

Clean-Out is MY big money maker.

If you are just starting out, MAKE SURE TO DO ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DETAIL WORK. I mean, lay that weed eater down and make a perfect circle around trees, mail boxes, EVERYTHING. Make sure your areas at the base of trees and out lying fences are CLEAN, barry the weed eater line and make a nice perimeter around the yard at fence lines and away from plants. I am OCD about Detail. It is my way of standing out from other yards with service. My lawns look like a million dollar bill when i leave. I dont worry about "lines," i cut it and trim it to a T and I.

Matt
      M.A.K. Landscaping

http://www.ma-klandscaping.com

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
      Seminole County FL

"Treating your property as if it were OUR own!"

Comment

Try this

For me, I think it would be mulch. It's light to carry, easy to spread, and quick.

Also doing dirtwork like putting it against foundations and grading it. I get it for $10 a yard and charge $50 a yard plus delivery to spread it. I could do 3 yards in half a day and charge $200. two of these jobs in a day and I gross profit $340 by myself.

If you are limitted on equipment, weeding is a big money maker. You basically need your hands and trashbags.

Or... How about poop scooping. here they charge 10-15 per lawn. It's easy and quick.

Comment

Clean-Out is MY big money maker.
          What do you mean by clean outs? What should others be doing to make them big money makers?

Also, what about organic fertilizer applications?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What do you mean by clean outs? What should others be doing to make them big money makers?

Also, what about organic fertilizer applications?

My organic Fertilizer Apps - Composting is about it now...

"Clean-outs" - Large clearing jobs usually. I can clear 2/3 acre in two days by myself...

"Clean-up" - Basic blowing all my work clean with a back pack blower

Matt
            M.A.K. Landscaping

http://www.ma-klandscaping.com

407-949-1073

Volusia County FL
            Seminole County FL

"Treating your property as if it were OUR own!"

Comment

For me it changes from month to month depending on a host of factors, while excavation is the top profit maker, we have a host of services that require a small investment that yield a very good profit.

Pressure Washing - at the moment we have four commercial units going four days a week, it's perfect timing as it's pretty hot here at the moment. Our city has a large amount of maple trees which cause a black fungus/mold to grow on vinyl siding. We also offer pressure washing Bio Bins and garbage cans while we are on site.

Organic Spraying - while we spray some lawns the entire season, April/May/September are the big months.

Wood Chipping/tree cutting - we do some of this from March to November however the prime months are March to May and September to November due to the cooler temps.

Cleanup's - Mainly fall, due to the hardwoods and the fact you can not put your leaves out with your garbage, we have two tow commercial leaf collectors that mulch the leaves into powder, we leave in a neat pile and spray with an organic product that is very high in nitrogen to brake the leaves down quick into compost.

Mowing - I have shed the company of all lawn mowing contracts except for private communities and a few very large lots, as we all know it's hard to make a living mowing however these properties pay very well, and I do not have to move equipment very often.

We have a lot of other services we offer that make good money but those are the ones that are the core.
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working my regular day job is the best money maker for me. Sence I started this back up I have just a big goose egg to show for it. Not even one call.
                White Company

Comment

Ranking your most profitable services

For me it changes from month to month depending on a host of factors, while excavation is the top profit maker, we have a host of services that require a small investment that yield a very good profit.

Pressure Washing - at the moment we have four commercial units going four days a week, it's perfect timing as it's pretty hot here at the moment. Our city has a large amount of maple trees which cause a black fungus/mold to grow on vinyl siding. We also offer pressure washing Bio Bins and garbage cans while we are on site.

Organic Spraying - while we spray some lawns the entire season, April/May/September are the big months.

Wood Chipping/tree cutting - we do some of this from March to November however the prime months are March to May and September to November due to the cooler temps.

Cleanup's - Mainly fall, due to the hardwoods and the fact you can not put your leaves out with your garbage, we have two tow commercial leaf collectors that mulch the leaves into powder, we leave in a neat pile and spray with an organic product that is very high in nitrogen to brake the leaves down quick into compost.

Mowing - I have shed the company of all lawn mowing contracts except for private communities and a few very large lots, as we all know it's hard to make a living mowing however these properties pay very well, and I do not have to move equipment very often.

We have a lot of other services we offer that make good money but those are the ones that are the core.
                  Picframer,
                  Can you rank your most profitable services in order. I'm really interested in the fact that you say mowing is not as profitable. How much and how do you charge for these services. If mowing is one of the least profitable then I need to start focusing on some of these others.
                  Thanks picframer or Andy.

Will Sewell
                  Sewellslandscaping.com

Comment

Picframer,
                    Can you rank your most profitable services in order. I'm really interested in the fact that you say mowing is not as profitable. How much and how do you charge for these services. If mowing is one of the least profitable then I need to start focusing on some of these others.
                    Thanks picframer or Andy.

Will Sewell
                    Sewellslandscaping.com
                    The lawns we mow make a profit or I would drop them, they do not make the profit margin other services do. If I do not net a 30% return after expenses but before depreciation and tax, then I do not continue with the service.

To put them in profit order, profit being a percentage of return then

Excavation
                    Organic Spraying
                    Wood Cutting and Chipping
                    Landscaping (sod/seed/top soil/mulch)
                    Pressure Washing
                    Clean Up's
                    Mowing
                    Andy
                    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Tree Cutting
                      Landscaping
                      Brush Cutting/Clean Up
                      Hedge Trimming
                      Mowing

Comment

How much do you charge for organic spraying

The lawns we mow make a profit or I would drop them, they do not make the profit margin other services do. If I do not net a 30% return after expenses but before depreciation and tax, then I do not continue with the service.

To put them in profit order, profit being a percentage of return then

Excavation
                        Organic Spraying
                        Wood Cutting and Chipping
                        Landscaping (sod/seed/top soil/mulch)
                        Pressure Washing
                        Clean Up's
                        Mowing
                        This is great! I'm actually looking into adding organic spraying as a service. What is in your spray? Do you use your own formulation or do you buy a product wholesale.
                        Do you use a simple pump-tank sprayer or something bigger?
                        How much do you charge for this service?

Thanks for all the info.
                        Time to make some $

Will Sewell
                        Sewellslandscaping.com

Comment

We have a 45 gallon 3 pt hitch unit, a 25 and 15 gallon tow unit, 4 Gilmore backpack, two Fimco battery hand cart units and three hand units. We have 246 clients at the moment that we spray.

We buy our sprays from Natures Lawn Care http://www.natureslawn.com/index.php

and

Environmential Factor http://www.environmentalfactor.com/

No two lawns are the same so I add various products to meet the needs.

Charge depends on what we are spraying and the size, min $65.00 per lawn, the average is around $285.00
                          Andy
                          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Marketing Organic Fertilizer

We have a 45 gallon 3 pt hitch unit, a 25 and 15 gallon tow unit, 4 Gilmore backpack, two Fimco battery hand cart units and three hand units. We have 246 clients at the moment that we spray.

We buy our sprays from Natures Lawn Care http://www.natureslawn.com/index.php

and

Environmential Factor http://www.environmentalfactor.com/

No two lawns are the same so I add various products to meet the needs.

Charge depends on what we are spraying and the size, min $65.00 per lawn, the average is around $285.00
                            How do you market your organic fertilizer? Door-to-door demos? Fliers? How do you get people to pay for this? I'd love to get someone to spend $285 on fertilizer.

Thanks,

Will
                            SewellsLandscapes.com
                            352-514-5618

Comment

Andy, when your marketing this, what do you call it?

Organic lawn applications?

Organic Spraying?

What is your key phrase that explains the big idea?

You know, hello sir, i see your lawn is in need of some help, would you be interested in "insert the catch phrase here" to improve your soil and turf?

Im having a hard time figuereing out what to say with this, thanks

Is Organic Fertilizer the right classification?

and you say you differ in applications due to site conditions, i know you have lots of experience, and may be able to just tell by looking, or do you determine what the soil needs after a test of some sort?
                              Last edited by LawnMoore; 08-03-2010, 10:39 PM.
                              (352)682-3094 Suwannee River, Florida 32680

Visit my site, http://www.lawnmoore.com, Thanks!

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X