Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper etiquet for blowing grass out of the road?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about using a bag on the mower? Thats what I do. What little falls out from edging I blow back into the lawn.

On that note you know what really PISSES ME OFF??? When I am driving my freshly waxed car down the road and some stupid idiot is blowing dirty and grass onto the highway on everyone's car. God I just want to run them down, happen at least once per week around here from the same company
    White Company

Comment

How about using a bag on the mower? Thats what I do. What little falls out from edging I blow back into the lawn.

On that note you know what really PISSES ME OFF??? When I am driving my freshly waxed car down the road and some stupid idiot is blowing dirty and grass onto the highway on everyone's car. God I just want to run them down, happen at least once per week around here from the same company

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I thought you wrote. "some stupid dirty idiot" hahahahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahaahhah

today is a good day

Comment

Ok i have to ask. When the chute is up. Isnt thwe chute not only there to direct the grasss but also as a safety precaution? If you use a bungee to keep the chute like its not even on. Does it pose a risk to injury and also does the grass rain down on the lawn instead of leaving a clumping trail? I think i may have to try this on my lawn first before doing it on someone elses lawn. We are professionals and if we do something considered not safe. how do we look to our customers? Omg he doesnt have his chute down. what if the blade it a stone and the chute wasnt there to deflect it towards the ground verses flying up and taking our that huge bay window. Just a thought scott. Not targeting you. just trying to be efficient and safe at the same time.

Paul

When you use the bungy cord on the chute, your not supposed to raise it all the way up, if you roll over a stone or some other object that could go flying at say a car for instance, not good. BUT, if you raise the chute, all you really need is to raise it no more than an inch, that will be enough to spray the clippings over a larger area so they will not clump.
        http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Hey guys i had the same question when i started and i realized that bagging is indeed a good way of doing things faster it takes less then 20 seconds to take off the bag trash it and put it back on unless you are really lazy lol i bag most of my clippings and only in large properties, 2 of mine, do i leave the chute semi opened yes grass gets scattered everywhere but i use the blower to make it into little piles with the other debris that might be in the property and just rake it up after im done yes it takes a few more minutes but its worth the effort.

my clients love the fact i use the blower around their property to get rid of any debris and i have never scattered debris to the neighbors property rather i get some of their debris and clean it up so they dont complain later on

happy Cutting

Comment

How do you dispose of the clippings when you are bagging them? Do you take them with you or leave them?

Also, what is your view of bagging the clippings vs. mulching when it comes to lawn health?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Mowing down here w/ the chute up or off is pretty standard practice if you are not mulching or bagging. The heavy bahaia & st. augustine grasses we deal with are not like the thinner northern fescue grasses & it's soaking wet all the time from june - octber typically, those rubber chutes clump it up so bad you could run it over 5 times & still have pile lines. I have 3 machines, one is full mulch kit, the other 2 have quick chutes... closed they do a good job of keeping grass out of flower beds & off of homes, sheds, & store fronts but other that that they are full open generally.
              The other thing is this: I have seen sticks, rocks, & pine cones shoot out from uner a mower deck in every direction.... last year a pine cone came out from under the left front edge of the deck like it was shot out of a potato gun, it flew across the street & 2 doors down before landing on a roof! I was like HOLY $H!T!!!! I hit a piece of wire (like a coat hanger but hevier) last year that came out from under the left side of the deck, bounced of the homes stucco & stuck into the back of my left hand like a damn dart. It didn't hurt much but it bled like crazy! My point is these blades spin at incredibly high rpms & can sling whatever wherever at random, just turning them on at all is to understand the liabilities involved. My employess know if anyone is walking or passing on bicycle or a client comes out the door, we shut the blades down & stop the machine i it's place til they are well out of range. This is a standard policy within my company. even still you car hit cars, or houses, or the people in them. It's a risk of starting your mower up.
              Last edited by musician/lawnman; 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Is there anything else that can be used around the deck to keep things from shooting out from below the mower? Or is the airflow needed to get under there?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How do you dispose of the clippings when you are bagging them? Do you take them with you or leave them?

Also, what is your view of bagging the clippings vs. mulching when it comes to lawn health?
                  in the LA Area there is a recycling program for green waste and all the properties have a recycling bin its standard practice to recycle all the clippings in that bin so i leave them, though there are some clients that need me to take the clippings and i do for an extra charge.

Comment

Working...
                  X