Called For An Estimate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Called For An Estimate

So I contacted 3 places today to see the going rates over my way. I called one place and they are supposed to come tommorow. I emailed 2, and one of them returned my call a few hours after me filling my info in on there site, and said they would ''mow, trim, and minor edge for $25.00!!!????'' They did not even come out to my house. My guess is they went on google earth or something and found the sq. footage. My yard is 11,900 sq. ft! I would personally charge 35-40 dollars for this. But then I went back on there site and said they were college kids. And that explained alot. What would you charge for this?

So I contacted 3 places today to see the going rates over my way. I called one place and they are supposed to come tommorow. I emailed 2, and one of them returned my call a few hours after me filling my info in on there site, and said they would ''mow, trim, and minor edge for $25.00!!!????'' They did not even come out to my house. My guess is they went on google earth or something and found the sq. footage. My yard is 11,900 sq. ft! I would personally charge 35-40 dollars for this. But then I went back on there site and said they were college kids. And that explained alot. What would you charge for this?
    My price is 11.9 x 1.1 + 14 = $27
    Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

And can you break that down for me alittle?

Comment

me too

that's about the same size as my yard. If you have no fence and no major trimming red flags I could also do it for about $27

Comment

My price is 11.9 x 1.1 + 14 = $27
          what is the 1.1 and the 14?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I don't get it, how are you guys making money?

Comment

what is the 1.1 and the 14?
              I charge $1.10 per 1000 square feet and add a $14 stop charge. The stop charge pays for me to get there, unload and reload equipment.

Comment

Oh that is very interesting!

add a $14 stop charge.
                How does this change depending on the distance to the customer?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

... How does this change depending on the distance to the customer?
                  It's fixed. It's how I base my minimum pricing. I have a similar formula for fertilizing: Area/1000 x $3 + $18. That would make my minimum fertilizing charge $21.

Comment

But I am guessing, your service area is predefined so you wouldn't take on any jobs that were too far out of the way. So the fee doesn't have to change.

Comment

But I am guessing, your service area is predefined so you wouldn't take on any jobs that were too far out of the way. So the fee doesn't have to change.
                      I suppose. My business phone number is local (not toll free) so only calls come from around here. Yeah, I'm not driving to pittsburgh for any reason, let alone driving a truckload of equipment.

The biggest distance I travel is about 13 miles from base but it's only 4 miles from another stop. Distance isn't really an issue if you cluster jobs.

Comment

making money

This is how you make money on $27 lawns.

These are up to 30 minutes to unload, mow, reload and go to the next place.
                        so in 8 hours that is up to 16 lawns.

16x27= 432 daily
                        432x5= 2164 weekly
                        2164x30= 64,800 for the season

64800 - 14000(overhead)= $50,800 not bad for 7 months work.
                        plus they will also add other things like mulch or clean ups, so it turns out to be more

My overhead is fairly low compared to others. i don't have a new truck or $10,000 mowers. I only carry 500,000 liability so its a little cheaper than the 1 mil or 2 mil. Keep a tight route so you save on gas. Keep your equipment well maintained. The key is to keep overhead as low as possible...

For example: my truck was only $5000. but i has a new engine and transmission. The tires are almost new. It is in really good shape. It's an 88 so I save a lot on insurance and licensing. it uses more gas than the new trucks but the savings on my insurance and licensing far outweigh the difference in gas.

Also, since it is an 88 chevy short box. It's in pretty high demand around here for those looking for these types of trucks. Which means, as long as I keep it in good shape, the value of it doesn't drop like buying a new truck.

Comment

Distance isn't really an issue if you cluster jobs.
                          What kinds of things do you feel a lawn care business should do to help cluster jobs?

These are up to 30 minutes to unload, mow, reload and go to the next place.
                          so in 8 hours that is up to 16 lawns.
                          Would this be solo or with a helper?

How long do you think it would take the average lawn care business owner to reach 16 lawns per day?

Comment

What kinds of things do you feel a lawn care business should do to help cluster jobs?
                            Sometimes it's hard but what I try to do is if someone from one area calls I tell them I'm only there on a certain day of the week. Most customers want done on Friday for some reason but I'm only on the north end of town on Friday. If someone from the west end calls they get placed on Wednesday or Thursday. New customers just get routed according to their locale.

There is only three reasons I'll break a route and place someone on a wrong day:
                            • They pay a lot
                            • I really like them
                            • She's really cute.

Comment

I think that is brilliant! It makes sense and is a smart move.

I charge $1.10 per 1000 square feet and add a $14 stop charge. The stop charge pays for me to get there, unload and reload equipment.
                              When a newer lawn care business is looking to come up with their own figures, how should they go about figuring out their stop charge?

What is the benefit of having a stop charge vs including it in the price per sqft to cut the lawn?

Comment

Working...
                              X