When is enough enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is enough enough?

I'm sure a lot of people ask that question. Is enough enough when you just don't enjoy it anymore? When it gets harder to make ends meet? How long on the end of the losing stick before giving in?
    White Company

If you're not succeeding/excelling in this business after 1.5-2 years you might consider getting a job working for someone else.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of people ask that question. Is enough enough when you just don't enjoy it anymore? When it gets harder to make ends meet? How long on the end of the losing stick before giving in?

My honest answer.

When all the woman in the world board their space ships & leave us men behind.

I would be happy living in a cave with a bag of chips & a case of beer.

Add a woman to the picture, we burn ourselves out until we obtain them as a partner. We relax, & enjoy our success just for a short while. Then they leave us for relaxing too long for not being romantic 24/7.

Woman are never satisfied, the fact is, woman don't know what they want. They live their life testing out everything & anything possible. They are Pokemon trainers trying to catch each and every one of us, seriously...

They want a man who works all day & brings home the bread, then they feel lonely (get a damn job your man is working for your happiness).

Woman will leave that man for a bum, they will feel "free like a bird"... give it a week & she'll be saying, "so what are your plans for the future.. hmmm that doesn't interest me.. NEXT"

So basically, the thing that keeps me going is the poon.

Comment

brother BREEZE I think you went off topic

Comment

LOL yes I think the topic was scued a little bit, maybe just a tinny bit. Woman is a stupid reason to stay in business, well unless your a jigalow but that's not the topic.

That being said I have been tossing this very topic around a lot. My personal situation is as follows, I am really not making any money, I am staying in the black but just barley. After gas and other expenses I may have like $5 per month extra that I cant even touch but rather put in the bank just in case another peace of equipment caves in. Right now with our weather I only have one regular client who only gets there lawn mowed once per month for $40 so my business is taking in $40 per month right now. I am starting to just not enjoy it anymore. I figure that's it I quit. I have a few other ventures that are taking off like wildfire so I will quit and focus more on them but for some reason I keep going. I say I quit but then tomorrow I get right back at it. It strange to me I mean
          1- No money
          2- No clients
          3- Not enjoying it
          4- Far less time with family
          5- Other ventures doing well.

The clear answer is QUIT but for some reason I just cant. I don't know its weird.
          White Company

Comment

Keep in mind also that I have only been in business for 7 months so for being under a year old and in a failing economy I am still managing to keep it in the black each month which I guess says a lot for itself. I just figure sense this is not my first rodeo I should have skipped a lot of loose ends and pulled a profit sooner I don't know. I guess so long as it stays in the black maybe its worth hanging onto a little while longer.
            White Company

Comment

The clear answer is QUIT but for some reason I just cant. I don't know its weird.
              Can you tell us a little about why you feel this way? If you sit there and think, I am sure answers would appear.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Can you tell us a little about why you feel this way? If you sit there and think, I am sure answers would appear.
                Steve, honestly the answer is not there. I just got done working in the office all morning. I don't get paid to work in the office but again hit some red tape. Had that change the name on file for the business license then run the new license to the bank. I am fighting back and forth with the insurance company so I finally told them to stick it and called a new one. I look back at all the work I did for free for the past 5 hours and think screw it I quit but I know it wont work out that way. I mean realistically I love all aspects of business. I love for example the bank or city for a change asking me what I want to do rather than me trying to figure out what they will allow me to do. I love talking to my clients about there ups and downs, there is something fascinating about not just the business end of the call but to hear all about how there new years went. I love going over the schedule and seeing where I can fit in my employee, unfortunately now he is for the most part SOL but just the feeling of depending on myself and the good decisions I MUST make it awesome. Even though its stressful knowing someone ells depends on me for a paycheck its all good. When other depend on the money you make it means you are doing something right. On the other hand I have never yet had to put so much into something for such a small return. Everything ells I have gotten into just had massive cash flow strait away. No matter if I went to Mexico for the weekend or worked in the office 48 hours strait there was still hundreds if not thousands of dollars daily coming and going. I have never ever ever had to scrutinize my business finances to make sure I can put gas in the truck this month but now I do. I have a little voice in my head saying just quit and move on yet when the corporate wheels start turning there is no stopping them. I am an Entrepreneur by design. I have a day job and hate having a boss there, I have for the past 13 years been involved in some sort of venture for profit on the side of my day job. Maybe the is the essence that keeps me going.

On a lighter note the good news is my company has gone through a transformation in the past couple of weeks, this is one reason for the name change. Rather than being a little old lawn care company it has changed to a private holding company. This way I can tie all my ventures into it and take advantage of it during tax time as well as through out the year. I no longer have to keep separate financial records but one master file for the parent company. I do have to now be very careful with my personal records now to keep track that for example another venture is not keeping this lawn care thing afloat. That would be ridicules.
                White Company

Comment

Yeah I did go off topic, my bad! My issues kinda followed me onto this thread.

It sounds like an unsettling situation you have going on.

I'm not sure if I have a real answer because I haven't had it rough yet. Though if I just stop enjoying what I do, & I'm too far off by being able to have a self sufficient company... Hmmm.

I think I'd be pretty hopeless.

I don't have anything to fall back onto that I'd enjoy doing more, I'd be trapped.

Though there are some times I just wanna throw my hands up in the air & say why bother... There is so much stress involved, sometimes I think to myself, "isn't running a business supposed to make my easier,better,etc". Though I guess if you are lucky, you could hire someone to take on the crummy parts of the business, but that just adds more stress sadly.

Comment

Yeah I did go off topic, my bad! My issues kinda followed me onto this thread.

It sounds like an unsettling situation you have going on.

I'm not sure if I have a real answer because I haven't had it rough yet. Though if I just stop enjoying what I do, & I'm too far off by being able to have a self sufficient company... Hmmm.

I think I'd be pretty hopeless.

I don't have anything to fall back onto that I'd enjoy doing more, I'd be trapped.

Though there are some times I just wanna throw my hands up in the air & say why bother... There is so much stress involved, sometimes I think to myself, "isn't running a business supposed to make my easier,better,etc". Though I guess if you are lucky, you could hire someone to take on the crummy parts of the business, but that just adds more stress sadly.
                    According to my business plan that's exactly what I am working on. I want to be involved in major decisions and quarterly financial reviews but no other part of the business. I tried already to hire a manager, I was going to pay him out of my own pocket regardless of the business income, give him a company car and pay for all the gas and everything but I guess unemployment is better as he opted to stay on it rather than take the job.
                    White Company

Comment

Keep in mind also that I have only been in business for 7 months. I love going over the schedule and seeing where I can fit in my employee, unfortunately now he is for the most part SOL
                      OK so here is what I recommend for you.
                      After only 7 months, do not give up you are half way there.
                      However, as a start up you should not be hiring anyone, keep it a solo gig until you can't handle it anymore by yourself. If you can't work alone then maybe you should take my fir bit of advice, before I new you were only 7 months in, and get a job working for someone else.

you must work alone for 1.5-2 years to get the company off the ground where you can hire someone.

Treat yourself to a part time helper (for a day) only when you really need it or you feel yourself burning out. (one a month tops, unless you pull some big clean up job that requires help)

Good luck either way you go.

Comment

It depends on how long it's been going on for. Everyone has bad periods of business. As for the not enjoying part, consider selling the business. I'm sure you would be suprised how much you could make..

Comment

Sometimes I feel like

Comment

It's also very difficult to do anything when you have a day job. A day job by design, is created to suck the life out of you and only let you have enough energy to get to work, to get back home, eat and pass out.

It is very possible that by trying to juggle a day job and a business, the stress is overwhelming and you simply don't have enough energy to put into your business to get the returns you want.
                            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

It's also very difficult to do anything when you have a day job. A day job by design, is created to suck the life out of you and only let you have enough energy to get to work, to get back home, eat and pass out.

It is very possible that by trying to juggle a day job and a business, the stress is overwhelming and you simply don't have enough energy to put into your business to get the returns you want.
                              For sure!

And it's a big decision to make the jump into the job you like more. People might be financially satisfied due to working two jobs & will refuse to let go of the one job that makes their life miserable. Sometimes you have to let go & things wont start off pretty, but in time you'll be making just as much as you did, or even more. Not only that, you'll enjoy it when it gets to that point!

Comment

Working...
                              X