Another lowballer add GRRRR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lowballer add GRRRR

How am I suppose to eat with this crap? The add is below, names and places have been removed.

"Mowing & Weedwacking.
    I do yard work. Excellent references available. I charge $10.00 per hr. or an agreed upon flat rate. Please call ***** at ***-****

I was averaging $140 per hour over the summer and with all expenses still had trouble getting ahead. Clearly this guy is not licensed or insured or paying taxes.
    White Company

There will always be someone doing that and there will always be some customers willing to have their property hacked apart.

Those offering such services at such prices never seem to last very long.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

"We cuts your long grass & grass on house we cut it for 1 dollar & if you are nice we cut for $0.50 good service, pruhfezzinal & lawn amazing service, if you wanted a full season service we charge $3.00 for twenty 4 cuts, goodbyenight."

^ Typical craigslist advertisement.

Those damn professionals man!

Comment

loball

i dont know about you but im staying on the high end and high quality workmanship.

Comment

loball

you know if you have good equip. good appearance and do quality work and be fair. you will get the work i know it sucks but just keep doing what you do best and it will take care of its self.
          Last edited by jdrt09; 12-19-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

you know if you have good equip. good appearance and do quality work and be fair. you will get the work i know it sucks but just keep doing what you do best and it will take care of its self.
            Do you have any suggestions on how one can leverage or market their appearance and quality of work to stand out and attract new customers?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

First of all, if 140 per man hr cant keep your head above water then you really need to work on production cost. You should be looking at 15-20 per man hour in cost. I run over 4mill in insurance and I'm on the low end of that.

You market your education, quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction. Why can you do a better job? How can you inhance the property? If you target quality clients then they will want a better comp. You just need to let them know why he charges what he does, and why you charge what you do

Comment

low ballers

i see more and more of this bull all the time. im dealing with it in snow removal real bad this year. sometimes it comes back to use, like i put a mowing bid in for
                $300.00 per mow, and a other guy put one in for $50.00. well the company called and said he was a no show and my bid was the lowest other than his
                and i got the job. i think he knew he bit off more than he could chew on this one. these people can not be a real company theres no way, on this job for fuel for the truck, mowers, trimers, is like $25.00 so he would be making $25.00, take your tax out of that, they need to stop, they are killing us.

Comment

i see more and more of this bull all the time. im dealing with it in snow removal real bad this year. sometimes it comes back to use, like i put a mowing bid in for
                  $300.00 per mow, and a other guy put one in for $50.00. well the company called and said he was a no show and my bid was the lowest other than his
                  and i got the job. i think he knew he bit off more than he could chew on this one. these people can not be a real company theres no way, on this job for fuel for the truck, mowers, trimers, is like $25.00 so he would be making $25.00, take your tax out of that, they need to stop, they are killing us.
                  Most of the people your talking about have no real experience in this biz. They are people that lost their job and are trying to get into lawncare because it is a easy business to start up (money wise). These people don't know their true costs. Ya it sucks trying to compete on bids with these people but 99% of them will fail and not be in biz very long. You can only control what you can control.
                  Forget about the wannabe's. Do good work , network with people and things will take care of it's self.

Comment

Most of the people your talking about have no real experience in this biz. They are people that lost their job and are trying to get into lawncare because it is a easy business to start up (money wise). These people don't know their true costs. Ya it sucks trying to compete on bids with these people but 99% of them will fail and not be in biz very long. You can only control what you can control.
                    Forget about the wannabe's. Do good work , network with people and things will take care of it's self.
                    thats true, im just hoping for a good winter with lots of snow, so i can make some money. its great im still getting snow contracts this late
                    in the season. i have picked up most of my accounts just in the last two
                    weeks.

Comment

How am I suppose to eat with this crap? The add is below, names and places have been removed.

"Mowing & Weedwacking.
                      I do yard work. Excellent references available. I charge $10.00 per hr. or an agreed upon flat rate. Please call ***** at ***-****

I was averaging $140 per hour over the summer and with all expenses still had trouble getting ahead. Clearly this guy is not licensed or insured or paying taxes.
                      It's like a bad itch, sooner or later it will go away and the customer gets what they pay for, we took on a few new customers who had initially signed with what we call low ballers and the quality of the work would make most of us shake our heads.

You may want to take a look at your business, if you are averaging $140.00 and still having problems, you might want to bring in someone that can give you some direction, we offer just about every service going a homeowner could want and other than spraying, I don't know of any that can average that much, even in excavation which is really good money I might average $105.00 before expenses and financially we are doing very well.
                      Andy
                      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Do you feel the low ball ads appear for snow plowing too? It seems many members talk about making good money with plowing, over mowing. Maybe it just costs more to get into plowing?

Comment

Do you feel the low ball ads appear for snow plowing too? It seems many members talk about making good money with plowing, over mowing. Maybe it just costs more to get into plowing?
                          It does cost a lot more to get into plowing although one could just get a good blower and throw it in the back of your truck or a trailer, but it seems many in the mowing business at least where I live can't even afford to do that so no I don't see it for plowing.

Learning curve is much steeper and the first time to dig a clients lawn up, you have pretty much signed off and that customer will be gone, it happens in a heartbeat thus training.

I can for example plow a gravel driveway and loose almost no gravel, this has taken a lot of time to master but I have it and clients comment all the time, because in the sprint I see what the competition has done, granted they made work for us.
                          Andy
                          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

its worse in lawncare, but its getting bad in the snow removal at least in my area. there is people that dont do lawncare but have plows. and they lowball plowing to make some side money. But again they dont have the overhead. I have been plowing lots sense 2003 so i see it more and more
                            each year. people dont want to pay us $25.00 to do there driveway because kids with shovels will do it for $10.00 not saying its bad for the kids to get out and make some money, but it does slow down business.

Comment

people dont want to pay us $25.00 to do there driveway because kids with shovels will do it for $10.00 not saying its bad for the kids to get out and make some money, but it does slow down business.
                              And it could be that way in the city here however we worm in the burbs where people have driveways from 150 to 900 feet long either on the ocean or a lake, kids walk away from a foot of snow in that stuff. Now in the city the average driveway is probably 30 to 50 feet long and I could see tough competition there, but that is not our targaret market.
                              Andy
                              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                              X