Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been thinking about this for a while...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been thinking about this for a while...

I really have....

So tell me what you guys think. I have been thinking about quitting my full time job and trying to make it full time in the shop. Optionally, I could do some other things like spraying and pressure washing until I got busy enough in the shop. I am actually very intrigued with the success that swstout and picframer have had with spraying, etc. I have a mower and a lawn tractor (an older one) and a 4 wheeler. I have a back pack sprayer and could probably get a pull behind sprayer easily. I also have a pressure washer, though it is a small and cheap Craftsman model, I suppose it would do until I could get something better or put something better together.

I feel like I have all winter to think about this, perhaps do some research about this and get a plan together if I decide to do it.

What do you guys think? Is there more to it than I realize? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eli

How much of what you'd like to do full time can you do now part time??

How would doing it full time put you in a better spot?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How much of what you'd like to do full time can you do now part time??

How would doing it full time put you in a better spot?
      I can do most of the things now, except I do not have time to do all of them. I run out of time. Because of this, I don't get machines done as soon as the customer wants and they get impatient. That is not my goal at all. I want to be a business that they can truly say is "Superior". I am also limited by the kind of jobs I can take because of time.

On Saturday at an auction I spoke to several people who said they would be bringing me work. One of them said he would be bringing me a skidloader that has engine problems. If I had very many of those jobs and would try to do them part time, I would not have time to do the smaller jobs.

Comment

What's your take on the competition in the area? Do you feel there is a need for you to go fulltime with these services? Also have you thought about when during the year would be the best time to go fulltime with it?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What's your take on the competition in the area? Do you feel there is a need for you to go fulltime with these services? Also have you thought about when during the year would be the best time to go fulltime with it?
          As far as the shop, there is some competition, but its mostly 15+ miles away. As far as the other things I mentioned, I doubt I would do much in the way off mowing so I really do not think there is that much competition. I know someone who does power washing so I may talk to him soon if I can. He may tell me not to get into it since he would consider me competition though! lol

Comment

Do you feel there is a certain time of year that would be better to go fulltime with this venture than other times?

If so, why not save some money and then go and do it.

I don't know much about it but I figure if you could become certified to handle warranty repairs, you could probably get some pretty steady work with that.

I think it could be a lot of fun, especially for someone who really enjoys small engines!

Comment

Organic Spraying

Organic lawn spraying is not that difficult.
              Products:
              • Nature's Magic - The best soil builder available
              • Aerify - Organic aerifying agent that is far superior to mechanical aeration
              • Bio-Dethatcher - Bio-enhanced dethatching agent far superior to mechanical dethatching
              • Insect Guard - Natural Insect Repellant
              • AquiGold - (US name Gluten8) for organic pre-emergent weed control
              • Beneficial Nematodes - Biological insect control
              • Fish Emulsion - Micro nutrient supplement
              • Bio-enhanced fertilizers - Safe Organic lawn food
              • Wipeout - Over winter insect control
              • Liquid Lime - Raises soil pH
              • Liquid Sulfur - Lowers soil pH
              • Liquid Iron - Important soil conditioner
              • Botanicals - Organic insect control (Caster Oil from the castor bean - kills chinch bugs that have become immune to chemical pesticides) 
              The beauty of these is that they can be mixed and applied simultaneously.
              The biological's here need climate control (41 to 78 degrees F). They are living organisms. Also, the biological's are harmed by chlorine in municipal water supplies. You can get pond de-cholrinator from Lowe's to add to your mixtures.

Different turfs have different requirements. You can customize treatments for particular turfs. If you decide to go this route, I can help with the mixtures.

Application is easy. You an train someone to apply them in a day or two.

I'll help you in any way I can.

Steve

Comment

Spring is the time I would do it if I did. Saving money is not really gonna happen anytime soon. I am trying to get my tools and parts together as I go. I may have to wait another year or so. But there are things that are making me want to do it (things I can't discuss. lol).

I used to think that I would never quit law enforcement but the entrepreneur bug seems to have bit me...

Comment

Here is a video that I think might be helpful at such a cross roads

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQXKOxGhMuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQXKOxGhMuA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

Organic lawn spraying is not that difficult.
                    Products:
                    • Nature's Magic - The best soil builder available
                    • Aerify - Organic aerifying agent that is far superior to mechanical aeration
                    • Bio-Dethatcher - Bio-enhanced dethatching agent far superior to mechanical dethatching
                    • Insect Guard - Natural Insect Repellant
                    • AquiGold - (US name Gluten8) for organic pre-emergent weed control
                    • Beneficial Nematodes - Biological insect control
                    • Fish Emulsion - Micro nutrient supplement
                    • Bio-enhanced fertilizers - Safe Organic lawn food
                    • Wipeout - Over winter insect control
                    • Liquid Lime - Raises soil pH
                    • Liquid Sulfur - Lowers soil pH
                    • Liquid Iron - Important soil conditioner
                    • Botanicals - Organic insect control (Caster Oil from the castor bean - kills chinch bugs that have become immune to chemical pesticides) 
                    The beauty of these is that they can be mixed and applied simultaneously.
                    The biological's here need climate control (41 to 78 degrees F). They are living organisms. Also, the biological's are harmed by chlorine in municipal water supplies. You can get pond de-cholrinator from Lowe's to add to your mixtures.

Different turfs have different requirements. You can customize treatments for particular turfs. If you decide to go this route, I can help with the mixtures.

Application is easy. You an train someone to apply them in a day or two.

I'll help you in any way I can.

Steve
                    Thanks Steve. I was hoping you would see my post. I have been really intrigued with your success.

But something that seems to hamper me just a bit is I know absolutely NOTHING about soil ph levels, what local soil issues are, etc. I have just recently started reading more about soil and soil health. I found a few articles I liked and posted them in my forum and even made a special little section for those articles... I honestly don't know that much about the sprayers and that kind of thing since I have never really needed to work on them and dad never sold sprayers other than an occasional backpack sprayer.

What kind of sprayer do you use? a pull behind? or should I consider one of those that mounts on a 4 wheeler? I don't really want to use my 4 wheeler if I don't have to since I would not be going fast enough to properly cool the engine. Any sprayer advice?

Like I said though, I have little interest in mowing unless I can get a good account or two. I have some decent connections because of my law enforcement job and feel that it may help me along if I decide to do it.

Comment

So what the **** should I do?.......

Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.

That vid, though I don't cuss, said it about as good as it can be said....

Comment

Thanks Steve. I was hoping you would see my post. I have been really intrigued with your success.

But something that seems to hamper me just a bit is I know absolutely NOTHING about soil ph levels, what local soil issues are, etc. I have just recently started reading more about soil and soil health. I found a few articles I liked and posted them in my forum and even made a special little section for those articles... I honestly don't know that much about the sprayers and that kind of thing since I have never really needed to work on them and dad never sold sprayers other than an occasional backpack sprayer.

What kind of sprayer do you use? a pull behind? or should I consider one of those that mounts on a 4 wheeler? I don't really want to use my 4 wheeler if I don't have to since I would not be going fast enough to properly cool the engine. Any sprayer advice?

Like I said though, I have little interest in mowing unless I can get a good account or two. I have some decent connections because of my law enforcement job and feel that it may help me along if I decide to do it.
                        Here is a good place to start. http://www.swstout.com/soil_is_the_soul_of_the_lawn.html

I have 2 tow behind sprayers, a 25 gallon and a 50 gallon. I use an old Murray mower that I took the deck off to tow it (also a craftsman rider if I need it for more that one job per day).

They are both electric that runs off the tractors 12v battery. Both have an 80" spray swath. A backpack sprayer will really wear you out.

I will look for more info for you and pass it on.

Steve

Comment

Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.
                          Risky Business is a great movie. One of those movies that everyone of my generation was enthralled with...right up there with Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

The video also talks about making mistakes. It's cool to say "what the f..." but you still want to be careful to make the best decision for you.

Have you put pen to paper...accounting style?

You are in the unique position of having a great idea how much you can make per hour. Do you think your part-time per hour revenue will translate into 40 or 50 hours per week? If it will translate, will it be enough to cover your expenses?

Is your current job fulfilling your life enough (not just financially) for you to keep it? Or can you take it or leave it?

Keith
                          Start a profitable lawn care business.

Comment

I think everyone's situation is different and there is no yes or no answer, how is your business doing now? Do you have more work than you can handle, do you have enough saved to carry you a few months without taking a salary, I think an owner should be able to go the first year and not draw a salary, at least in this business, how are things going in your area, what is the required capital investment to get your target market and do you have it.

If memory serves me correct you are a police officer, remember you will loose your benefits, can you take a leave of absense to see if you can make it then go back if you can't? If it failed can you find a job without loosing everything?
                            Andy
                            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

You said earlier, that you had reasons for quitting and going the business route that you didn't want to get into now. Let me take a stab in the dark.

You are a political animal to the right of Washington. With the Obama administration turning over the management and regulation of police agencies to organized labor you feel a loss of personal power and rights. Organized labor has no room for non liberal, non-democrats in their ranks. You, as a police officer and not being a democrat will be on the short end of the promotion Merry-Go-Round. Your dues will be used to promote the liberal agenda without any say on your part. If you do complain, you will get the worst assignments with the least chance of advancement.

The above is why my brother will be leaving LE if Obama gives control of the police to organized labor. And according to him, he won't be alone!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X