New John Deere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New John Deere

I brought my new John Deere 2520 home today, has a loader, backhoe, snow blade etc. This is my larger trailer, it's quite a load!
    Attached Files
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Here is three of the 5 tractors
    Attached Files
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I assume you love John Deere

Is your lawn tractor the X series ? I'm thinking of investing into one of those

Comment

Oh that looks great! How do you like using it with the snow plow on the front?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Yes it's the X500, I had an LA145 for about two weeks, just no traction. The X500 has Dif lock however I have never had to use it just the weight difference and tires make all the difference, I use the X500 in the winter for sanding and it works great. It has the Gator blades which I fell in love with last year, really happy with the results.

As for loving JD, they have served me well, the sales and service people always go above and beyond and they are 15 min from my home. I generally buy the best I can afford but only if i can get it serviced locally, with in the case of ZTR's limits me to Toro or JD.
          Last edited by picframer; 02-27-2009, 08:59 PM.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Oh that looks great! How do you like using it with the snow plow on the front?
            It works really really well, it's made by Horst in Ontario and is a quick connect, I can go from bucket to plow in under two min's, it's 6' wide. I had John Deere put a divetor valve on, basically I press a button and it switches the Hydro from the curl on the loader to the angle on the plow or the Top and Tilt cylinder on the box blade, I just use the loader joystick rather than adding another control unit.

I have a rear blade for the 2305 which is 5 feet and a 60" blower which mounts to the 3 point hitch, I prefer pushing snow rather than looking behind.

Then on the Super H (1947 which I have owned for 30 years) has an 8 foot 6" blade and the 700 Kawasaki Brute Force has a 5 foot blade.

we have 70 cm of snow coming, storm is to hit Sunday, I will have all four units out and about clearing snow, big bucks in these big storms.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Here is a pic
              Attached Files
              Andy
              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

When my Husqvarna reaches 500 hrs, i'm thinking of going to buy a John Deere X300. I don't see myself getting a X500 like yours. I don't see myself using is more than a mower unless I get bigger in the future. I love the warranty on John Deere... 4 yrs / 500 hrs.. WOW nothing beats that.

Comment

we have 70 cm of snow coming, storm is to hit Sunday, I will have all four units out and about clearing snow, big bucks in these big storms.
                  WOW that is fantastic!

For the readers considering going the route of buying a tractor and a snow plow vs a pickup and a snow plow can you tell us why you might want to go with one over the other?

What would you say are the pros vs cons of each?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

WOW that is fantastic!

For the readers considering going the route of buying a tractor and a snow plow vs a pickup and a snow plow can you tell us why you might want to go with one over the other?

What would you say are the pros vs cons of each?
                    The advantage of a truck is that you can cover greater distances faster, the cost would be far less that a tractor I have bought.

The advantage of a tractor is it will take the abuse of plowing and never bat an eye, therefore maintenance costs are next to zip, I have been plowing with the 1947 for 20 years and total mintenance is less than $500.00, a tractor will use far less fuel, I can plow for 8 hours on $28.00 +/- diesel, better traction, I have pulled probably 10 guys with plows on trucks out so far this season and that was with the smaller 2305 tractor. Another advantage is the loader, I can pile snow high and widen driveways, clean bus stops, fire hydrants and just picked up a contract for three fire halls.

Big advantage of these CUT's (Compact Utility Tractor) is the attachments you can get, all of which will expand your business and make you good coin, the average hourly rate around here is $105.00 and because you can do so many things there is good demand, I would take a tractor over a skid steer anyday as they are lighter and faster.

Andy
                    Andy
                    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

When my Husqvarna reaches 500 hrs, i'm thinking of going to buy a John Deere X300. I don't see myself getting a X500 like yours. I don't see myself using is more than a mower unless I get bigger in the future. I love the warranty on John Deere... 4 yrs / 500 hrs.. WOW nothing beats that.
                      The X300 is a nice tractor, I belong to a tractor forum and have never seen a complaint on the X series, they are really built well.
                      Andy
                      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Here is the image I took last fall I was looking for
                        Attached Files
                        Andy
                        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Andy,

For lawn care business owners who have a tractor or are thinking about getting one, what is the best way to market the services you can offer with a tractor? Should you network with others in your area and let them know you can be called to sub-contract out tractor work? Or should you market to your customers that you have a tractor and can do the following jobs?

What is your advice on that?

Comment

Andy,

For lawn care business owners who have a tractor or are thinking about getting one, what is the best way to market the services you can offer with a tractor? Should you network with others in your area and let them know you can be called to sub-contract out tractor work? Or should you market to your customers that you have a tractor and can do the following jobs?

What I did was send a post card and cover letter to my current woodworking clients, I exported a client list into excel then sorted by postal code, I wanted to start with clients who live in what we quite often call the rich or upper scale are. The letter basically said Oakridge Woodworking has expanded into Organic Lawn Care (anything Organic is a big seller here), deck construction and mini excavation, from the 200 +/- letters I sent i received just over 50 inquiries, we now have a few months of excavation work and quite a few lawn care contracts, some want snow removal also.

Now what I did with snow removal was I was only interested in our area, so after or during a storm I would drive around in the truck, I had a card made up for snow removal, if a driveway wasn't plowed I left the card in their door, if they were outside I stopped, introduced myself, said I offered snow removal if they wanted to give their back a break just give me a call, by the storm or every storm, picked up just over 30 driveways which is more than enough, word of mouth spread and I started getting calls from others.

What I did also was tell these people I offer lawn care, mini excavation, tree chipping, I try to take note of something I could do at their home, it's tough as we have so much snow but if I saw a tree(s) that needed to be removed for example, I would simply say if you are interested we perform tree removal and chipping, give it some thought and give me a shout in the spring/summer.

Next we have a medical clinic in our area with a free bill board for local services, I posted these cards there, the local pizza joint and a take out, I have since taken these down as I do not want any more driveways this season.

Here are the cards I had done up, maganetic sign to match the color of the truck also.

There is an area fairly close to here I call the retirement area so I did up a funny card which I will have mail dropped to this area only, probably in late April.

Now when it comes to buying a tractor, most of the CUT's are similar, I believe JD is considered the most expensive however, what is critical is that you have a very good feeling about the dealer, it doesn't matter much what brand although you should do some research but stuff happens and when you need service you need to know the dealer will back you up, that is #1 in my books. They can be expensive and if you are considering a tractor, I would encourage you to buy something a little bigger than you need, they hold their value very well and I believe there is 0% interest financing in the USA at the moment from many of them. Join a tractor forum and ask for assistance, I personally belong to My Tractor Forum, they are great and most do not care what color your tractor is, they just want to help you.
                            Attached Files
                            Andy
                            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Andy,

Should you network with others in your area and let them know you can be called to sub-contract out tractor work?

Sorry I overlooked this question, personally I stay clear of sub contracting work, I can't be bothered trying to collect money from a contractor that says they are trying to collect from the owner, I go direct and will go head on with a bigger more established company.

If you know the contractor well and are not concerned about payment, then yes this will get you a pile of work fast. I have had contractors call me but I tell them I really appreciate the consideration however we are booked solid at the moment, a polite way of saying thanks but no thanks. I consider myself fortunate that I do not need the extra work at the moment.

I picked up a reno project in the wealthy area of the city, all inside work that will take myself and two helpers at least two months, building and installing Jatoba cupboards and stairway. It's funny as a neighbour came over on Friday and asked if I built decks or did outside work, and I replied sure, lets wait for the snow to clear and have a coffee over what you would like, we will make it the talk of the neighbourhood, perhaps it won't be but people like to feel important and they are.
                              Andy
                              Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Working...
                              X