first edging job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edging

Matt, nice job on the edging. What I might do different if you didnt do it already is to clean the edge with your weedwhacker. Makes the edge that much cleaner to the eye.

Mike
    Muldoon's Landscaping Inc

Comment

Nice work.

$90 is probably a fair price for the work but I agree with PNP...you must get away from using a spade as your primary tool.

Get a gas edger or 2 (stick type that PNP showed and/or a 3hp+ push type) also get the "half-moon" hand edger for detailed work.

Why didn't you sell them on edging? You could have tripled your profit.

No worries...you're learning. Learning is what this forum is for.

Good luck. You're doing great.

Keith
      Start a profitable lawn care business.

Comment

Yea it would cut that job 99% You could did all that about 15 minutes.

thanks PNP

Do you think knowing this will make you want to go out and get one? Do you have enough edge work to make it worth your while?
        Yes this is making me very interested.. I do not have many edging jobs but I think I could get a bunch if I advertised it.. I'll let you know if I go through with this.

Matt, nice job on the edging. What I might do different if you didnt do it already is to clean the edge with your weedwhacker. Makes the edge that much cleaner to the eye.

Mike
        Muldoon's Landscaping Inc
        Thanks Mike, The edges in the front by the flower beds could have used this I think in a few places.. I'll be sure to try it out next time!

Nice work.

$90 is probably a fair price for the work but I agree with PNP...you must get away from using a spade as your primary tool.

Get a gas edger or 2 (stick type that PNP showed and/or a 3hp+ push type) also get the "half-moon" hand edger for detailed work.

Why didn't you sell them on edging? You could have tripled your profit.

No worries...you're learning. Learning is what this forum is for.

Good luck. You're doing great.

Keith
        Keith, thanks for replying... Could you explain to me what you mean byt why didnt I sell them on edging? I'm interested in what you mean.. Thanks so much!

Get a free website makeover for your lawn care business!
        Go to this thread to learn more:
        http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=44255

Comment

Countering your lawn care customer's objections.

Keith, thanks for replying... Could you explain to me what you mean byt why didnt I sell them on edging? I'm interested in what you mean.. Thanks so much!
          Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I meant to say: installing landscape edging.

Landscape edging will help make the border permanent. If you are going for a plastic edge, purchase the best quality material you can buy. Metal edge is even better as it won't get chewed up by your weedeater.

It sounds like you tried to sell them a mulching job too? Don't take "no" as an answer.

You should have lots of counters to their objections. Let them know that you buy in bulk so you can get them a better price, tell them that you have a "vision" for their yard which includes color and type of edging and mulch, explain how difficult and dirty it is to haul and install mulch. Always have at least two counters to every objection.

Look at this short article I wrote last year on the art of countering customer objections to always make the sale:

http://www.startalawncarebusiness.co...bjections.html

Additionally, take a look at my main website. It seems like you are off to a great start and this might be very beneficial to you:

http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com
          Lawn Care Business Program

Keith

Comment

tell them that you have a "vision" for their yard which includes color and type of edging and mulch,
            Keith,

One of our forum members in the past, Tim, would tell us how he would create a landscape design for his current lawn maintenance customers so he could sell them on his 'vision' of how their yard could be.

Did you ever find yourself doing that or how best would you advise lawn care business owners to sell that 'vision.'
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Keith,

...how best would you advise lawn care business owners to sell that 'vision.'

Most residential lawn care customers do not require an elaborate presentation.

Have some large notepads made with your business information and logo at the top. Simply carry it with you to estimates and sketch basic designs of how you can enhance the look of their property.

The sketch with prices and details can act as a purchase order agreement if the customer agrees right away. If the customer does not agree immediately, leave your sketch behind as a reminder of the vision you have for their property.

Keith

Comment

That is a great idea.

I bet you could include something like that in an invoice too if you notice something about the customer's property that you would like to improve upon.
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I had this strategy work for me the other day. I was bidding a maintenance job for a guy's lawn and I ended up selling him on landscaping a large empty patch of garden in his front yard...got a solid day's worth of work. I just used photoshop to draw up a rough layout with circles showing where plants would be at the approximate size, then included another page with pictures and descriptions of the plants I am using off the internet.

Comment

Did you just do this on your own initiative or did the customer ask first for you to come up with some ideas?

How did you go about presenting this to the customer initially?

Did you just say, I have some great ideas to spruce up your yard?

Comment

edging prices

I agree dont give your work away.
                      $30-$35 per hour seems fair.

Comment

This thread is from 2008....

Comment

Working...
                        X