first edging job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first edging job

So I worked on my first edging job today, it's going pretty good. I started actually saturday but got put off because of rain. so I went and finished the front yard today and started a little in the back. I dont have a special edging tool just a spade. please feel free to give me your feedback on my job and point out anything I could improve.

I had a number of people walk by and tell me I was doing a good job while I worked on the sidewalks.

after: grass had grown over the side walk 4-8 inches

in the process of edging the driveway

before and during pictures of the front garden

After Pictures:

edit: btw I did not put down new mulch. I think the home owners plan to do that them selfs.
    Attached Files

Get a free website makeover for your lawn care business!
    Go to this thread to learn more:
    http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=44255

Looks good...I'd suggest an edging tool or a flat shovel if you're looking to speed things up. It's amazing how much of a difference a clean edge makes to the overall appearance of a yard.

Comment

Hi Matt,

Great job! Do you have business cards on you at all times? When people are walking by, complimenting you, you should hand them a business card!

Will you be putting these pictures on your website?

Also, what's your view on using edgeing borders? Plastic or metal?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

wow, you did all of that with a spade shovel ?That looks great!
        how many hrs. did it take to complete ?

Comment

Thanks Dave. Do you have a link to an edging tool online so I can see what it looks like?

Steve, I actually never have them while I am doing work but I now plan to take them with me all the time. I think I could have gotten at least one more job if I had my cards with me to hand out.

I currently dont have a website :-\ haha it's funny how I help other people set up websites but do not have my own. I'm still not sure how serious I want to get with lawn care tho, my dream job would be website design and optimization.. I just dont have enough clients to keep me busy all the time. When I set up my website I will put these images on there.

I have never used any edger borders, although I have seen a few places that have those black plastic ones. I dont think they look all that great but I think bricks look real nice.

lol thanks Blaine! yeah this couple I know used to do a lot of landscaping but not that much anymore. They showed me how to edge it with a spade and it seems very simple.

it took about 5 and a half hours for the front and 3 and a half for the back. I had an issue with rain in the front which added probably an extra hours worth of work or more..

before and after pictures of the backyard (some of it)

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Matt,

I'd say get a website up. It would help you sell web site design services as well because you could use your as an example of what you can do with seo.

Do you have any advice to offer me on seo for this site? I'd love to hear it, even if you wanna start another post to do it.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

It's basically just a little flat blade kinda thing, they've got them at Home Depot for sure.

Here's a pic of one I found...let me know if the link works

Edger Pic

Comment

Steve, I will work on a website and try to have one up within the week to show off my design and seo abilities.

I'd love to give you some feedback, are you tracking your stats for this site with google analytics (or another tracker)? If your already getting search engine traffic I could give you some advice on how to move up in rankings for the phrases your site shows up for.

Thanks Dave, that link works! hmm It looks like you would be able to edge faster with that tool then with a spade.. I might have to go pick one up before my next edging job.

also I need some opinions, for the edging job I just did in the pictures. The total price came out to be $90.. Is that fair or did I low ball my self or charge to much?

Comment

Price seems low...for 9 hours (at the $35 per hour I charge) I would've charged $315

Comment

That is the type off work that makes everything else in the yard look better.

NICE WORK! Looks GREAT

Comment

yea, I would have charged $200 - $300 bucks
                      how long did it take you from start to finish?

Comment

Am I missing something here? Why didnt you use a gas edger ?

Comment

didnt know they made a gas edger plus I just started out lawn care this summer to give it a try for myself and see how I liked it.. how expensive and easy to use is a gas edger?

Comment

didnt know they made a gas edger plus I just started out lawn care this summer to give it a try for myself and see how I liked it.. how expensive and easy to use is a gas edger?
                            Yea it would cut that job 99% You could did all that about 15 minutes.

Comment

Do you think knowing this will make you want to go out and get one? Do you have enough edge work to make it worth your while?

Comment

Working...
                              X