Mulch Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulch Install

So I finished a 6 yards of compost, 12 yards of mulch, and a pressure wash today. When I bid I told the client it would 2 days.

Well I bought a kubota in the winter and didnt realize how fast it would speed up jobs. I was out of there in 4 hours.

I go to collect my money and the client ask since it took you less time is the bill less? Hell NO!

For anyone that doesnt know we charge a install fee per yard. I shouldnt be punished for being productive. I couldve sent 1 guy and had him there for a week.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 03-30-2012, 08:08 PM.

I just finished a 15 yard mulch install in 3 1/2 hours. These nice people gave me a $275 tip.

Comment

If you dont mind me asking how much did that tractor cost? Im looking to buy one. Every thing looks awesome!

Comment

If you dont mind me asking how much did that tractor cost? Im looking to buy one. Every thing looks awesome!
        I paid $8500 with 900 hours on it. I been moving about 5 yards a hour. Its definitely productive. If you dont need the 4wd, you could pick up a older skid for half that with some shopping.

I been trying to find a mowing deck for it but so far no luck.

Comment

Were these jobs all the same client?
          I just finished a 15 yard mulch install in 3 1/2 hours.
          That is fast! Did you have to remove the old mulch or did you just dump the fresh mulch on top?

With the ability to do jobs faster now, how will that effect your future bidding? Do you lower prices a bit because you can do it faster or do you keep them where they were?

Very interesting situation!
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Were these jobs all the same client?
            Two very different clients. One tipped at 15% the other thought they should pay less since we were done quicker then projected.

That is fast! Did you have to remove the old mulch or did you just dump the fresh mulch on top?
            No removal, there was some cleaning of the beds.

With the ability to do jobs faster now, how will that effect your future bidding? Do you lower prices a bit because you can do it faster or do you keep them where they were?
            I'm keeping them where there at. I did consider raising my prices by $5 a yard and selling that well finish the job the quickest. The way I see it if you lowered prices because your more efficient, what would be the point of being more productive? I do have to recoup my investment and be able to afford future equipment.

Comment

That is great! It's also a lesson for everyone on how better equipment can help cut back on the need for more man hours to perform jobs!
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Two very different clients. One tipped at 15% the other thought they should pay less since we were done quicker then projected.

No removal, there was some cleaning of the beds.

I'm keeping them where there at. I did consider raising my prices by $5 a yard and selling that well finish the job the quickest. The way I see it if you lowered prices because your more efficient, what would be the point of being more productive? I do have to recoup my investment and be able to afford future equipment.
                agree 100 percent .
                you spent around 16,000 dollars for a tractor to make you more productive and the customer was happy with the job at the price you bid it to begin with,saving time is your benefit not theirs .
                Chris Hoeltke
                serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
                C&S Lawn Service

Comment

I forgot to take pictures this time. The beds were worst then pictured and there was a few more that I missed.

Comment

What made you finally take the leap and buy that tractor?

Any advice for others considering it but not having done it yet?

Comment

What made you finally take the leap and buy that tractor?

Any advice for others considering it but not having done it yet?
                      Having 4-5 guys pushing wheelbarrows for 8 hours.

Its a good investment. You can get a smaller tractor without the 4x4 if you dont plan on using it for snow but either way any loader will save time.

This spring clean up/ mulch install I did last year with 5 guys and it took 20 hours. I did it this year with 3 guys in 8 hours and did the plantings in the front. This frees up 2 days to make more money.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

WOW those are great pics!

What's next on your wish list of equipment to get?

Comment

WOW those are great pics!

What's next on your wish list of equipment to get?
                            Thanks Steve, tomorrow will bring me to 200 yards installed for the season.

I want a leaf loader. The bigger ones are kinda pricey for something that wont be used much. If there was access to use it on every property, or everyone wanted leaves removed and not blown into the woods. I wouldve bought it already.

The other thing thats cool is one of those hurricane blowers but again its only used when you can blow into the woods.

Hmmm this seems to have a vacuum kit now.

Uh oh, I found my christmas present.

Comment

That certainly looks like it would improve efficiencies!

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X