Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ferris 36" Walk Behind - Woo Hoo! (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ferris 36" Walk Behind - Woo Hoo! (pics)

Today I purchased my first walk behind mower!

Ferris ComfortControl DD 36" hydro floating deck.

Crappy cell phone pics first...

It's a 2011 model that the dealer purchased "before the January price increase". They originally had it on sale for $4,999 and today was an open house/show, so they had in-stock items marked down a little more - today only.

I asked what the price would be for the 2012 model and was told $5,399 - same unit.
    I paid $4,750. Also 0% financing for 36 months.

As some know, I had picked up a residential ZTR in January and although I hadn't cut grass with it yet, I had several problems with it. Yesterday I decided to return it. and put the money towards a commercial unit. A commercial ZTR is not in the budget, so I then began scrambling to research what type of walk behind mower to get.
    I narrowed it down to Exmark, Ferris, or Toro. (avail from local dealer)
    I also set a maximum price of $5,000.

Toro doesn't offer a hydro until you get up to the 48", so that was a factor, as I was leaning toward a hydro if affordable.

The Exmark in a similar size - 36" Turf Tracer S-Series (floating deck hydro) was "show priced" at $5,400. (Reg $5,900) Doesn't even have electric start!

What sold me on this Ferris:

- It has the infinitely adjustable deck (not in 1/4 or 1/2" increments like others) that can easily be changed by turning two cranks.

- It has electric start. Not a major issue, but certainly a nice option.

- Price. $650 less than the Exmark and under my $5,000 maximum budget.

I can't wait to go back and pick it up. It wouldn't fit in the trunk of the Cavalier!!!

ETA:

I want to say "THANK YOU" to everyone who posted in my "need advice quick" thread. Your input was very helpful to me indeed.
    Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Hedgemaster; 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM.

Shes purrrrty!

Still have any wax left over?

Comment

Shes purrrrty!

Still have any wax left over?

LOL! As a matter of fact I do, smartass.

Funny thing is, I am actually "rationing" the wax I used on the Husky because it's no longer made, so I am a bit perturbed that I wasted some on that mower.

The Ferris is certainly Astro Shield worthy and will receive the ole "wax on, wax off".

Comment

Congrats! Lookin gooooooood

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase. Please keep us updated on how the ferris works out for you. I currently run exmarks, but I really want to try out the ferris. I have heard nothing but good things about them so it should serve you well. Good luck this season.

Comment

Congrats! Lookin gooooooood

Thanks. Wait 'til I get a coat of wax on it and take pics with a real camera.
            Anyone wanna put on a bikini and lay across it for a photoshoot?

Comment

Congradulations. You will be able to cut more grass for sure now. Make sure to wax under the deck so grass don't stick

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase. Please keep us updated on how the ferris works out for you. I currently run exmarks, but I really want to try out the ferris. I have heard nothing but good things about them so it should serve you well. Good luck this season.
                Thanks man!

I was really liking what I was seeing about the Turf Tracers, and after laying my hands on the Enhanced Control System I nearly went that route, but ultimately, it was the price that was the deciding factor. Several people said I couldn't go wrong with either of them (or the Toro for that matter), so I'm comfortable with my choice.

All I see around my immediate area is Toro (and a few Exmarks) because the Toro dealer is right here. This Exmark/Ferris dealer is a 30 min turnpike drive away from me, but fortunately owned by the same guy as my local Toro dealer. Either shop can do warranty/service work for me.

I've nothing to compare it to, as I've never used a walk behind before, but I'll certainly be posting my thoughts as I use it.

Comment

Different world from the ztr you had. Did you get a sullky for it?

Comment

Congratulation man
                    I hope this works out better for you than the other affair you had as fleeting as it was.
                    I am an eXmark man my self and someday I hope to own one.
                    But in till then my trusty old Honda will have to do.
                    as for a bikini wearer to lay in front of the mower ........
                    I hear Cheese2009 is available.

Comment

Anyone wanna put on a bikini and lay across it for a photoshoot?

Good idea, I'll have my wife do that when I get mine. ha!

Comment

Are the blades timed on that mower? I just ask because they are not offset so there is no overlap unless the blades are times to not be in the same place at the same time. Just wondering.

Looks nice. I'm looking forward to your reviews.
                        Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

Different world from the ztr you had. Did you get a sullky for it?
                          Indeed.

No. This was a big enough expense as it is. Perhaps later.
                          I figured I'd do some research before buying anything else for it anyway. I don't know if the machine is big enough to do that or not for sure and at the moment, I have no HUGE lawns anyway. I can walk.

I inquired about the mulch kits to see what his opinion on it was. He suggested I try cutting without it first to see how I like it. He then mentioned that adding Gator blades may also improve the clipping reduction without needing a mulch kit.

At least he wasn't trying to push extras on me. I could have gotten 10%-20% off anything today, but I can wait. Besides, if I should think of something else I want, the local shop is having another open house on Mach 23rd with the same discount.

Comment

... He suggested I try cutting without it first to see how I like it. ...
                            That is good advice. I'd get a bagging system before a mulching kit. You'll only use a mulching kit in July and August when there is no moisture in the grass and no leaves.
                            ... He then mentioned that adding Gator blades may also improve the clipping reduction without needing a mulch kit. ...
                            Meh. A set of high lift blades will make a nice cut and disperse the clippings. Gators suck. They don't make the clippings any smaller and they don't throw them nearly as far or disperse them nearly as much as the high lift blades will.

That's just my experience though. You should experiment.
                            Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

Congratulation man
                              I hope this works out better for you than the other affair you had as fleeting as it was.
                              I am an eXmark man my self and someday I hope to own one.
                              But in till then my trusty old Honda will have to do.
                              as for a bikini wearer to lay in front of the mower ........
                              I hear Cheese2009 is available.

CENSORED!

Post reported for obscenity and for just generally being a Canadian!

I hope you get your Exmark! I didn't operate it, but the handles on the one I looked at were pretty nice.
                              If not for giving up the Husky and the 0%/36 mo offer, I'd not have had this for at least another year.

Comment

Working...
                              X