Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ferris 36" Walk Behind - Woo Hoo! (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their zero-turns are smoooooth riding. Give them a try.
    I have heard that. When I worked for my mentor we only used walk behinds and I really can't see myself on a zero turn.

I'm going down to the dealer next week to give a Toro and a Ferris a test run. I was planning on using the push mower I have now, but those two larger accounts I recently obtained are a bit much for a 22 inch.

I may hop on a zero turn as well....I didn't marry the first woman I met or buy the first truck...or the first gun I shot. So i'll give one a whirl. haha

Comment

lookin good . wish i could afford something like that .

Comment

Twas the month before Lawn Season, Hedge's Husky was crappy
        No one was happy with it, not even Pepe.
        The trimmers were hung out in the garage with care,
        In hopes that Lawns soon would be need their care.

The equipment was stored all snug in their place ,
        While visions of cut grass put a smile on Hedge's face.
        With Hedge in an Echo shirt, and a new Ferris cap,
        Had just settled in to give the new mower a wax.

Yes I am bored....

And excited to boot! Just landed a $800 mulch job! Got the email this morning. and on my way out to give a bid on mowing.

Comment

lookin good . wish i could afford something like that .
          Thanks.

Funny thing is that I couldn't afford a used one. Sure, you can find them used for less on Craigslist or something, but I don't have $2-3,000 cash lying around after a winter with no work. 0% financing for 3 years made this possible after determining what the payments would be.

Comment

Mkay... I don't think it's a 2011 model after all.

I don't know how these things work with dealers, and I HAVE seen a lot of places selling brand new units that are several years old before, but I'm a bit irked that I asked if it was a 2011 and was told "Yes".

At the open house, I asked the factory rep some questions, and while talking about the controls, he said that they USED to have an "electronic sensor-grip operator presence system" (eliminating the need to depress the typical "presence bar"), but they stopped making those. (He didn't say when)

Well, today in my yard I was practicing with it and took my right hand off the operator presence bar (there's only one on this model) - the engine didn't stop. Huh?
            My left hand was still lightly touching the grip and when I moved it away, the engine started to cut off. I quickly grasped the handle and the engine roared back to life. I looked closer at the grips and there's some sort of "name" molded on them indicating that it's the electronic sensor-grip.

I then did something I never thought to do at the dealer - I looked for the manufacture date label. It appears to indicate that it's a 2008.

I'm not sure if I should be upset by this or not. The factory rep said they have remained virtually unchanged for years, aside from minor feature changes from time to time. So did I get an outdated model, or not? I have no idea.

I will say that the electronic sensor-grip makes operation a bit easier in that I'm not forced to keep my right hand on the operator presence bar at all times. It also allows me to make quick changes to the forward speed because there's a few seconds lapse before the engine starts to stall. Hand off the grip, adjust forward speed, hand back on the grip, all without stalling it out.

I'm not so much unhappy with the unit, as I am wondering if I didn't get the deal I thought I did with this being (at least from what I can tell at the moment) a 2008.

Comment

I'm not so much unhappy with the unit, as I am wondering if I didn't get the deal I thought I did with this being (at least from what I can tell at the moment) a 2008.
              Most mowers do not have years but the model would have changed from 2008 to 2011 or 2012. To help tell you what year it was look at the manufacture date of the engine. Most engines are used in the same year as they were produced. Also a tip I just found 2008 models at home depot with signs telling customers that they are 2012 units. Personally I have 12 units at the store I manage and prob another 14 at the other store, this way we are likely to sell them all this year and buy more, at least then we are only a few months behind unless they change the model.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

The Date of Manufacture listed on the ENGINE is: 1008
                Listed exactly like that in a big, silver box - I assume that translates to October 2008, as nothing else would make sense to me.

The mower has a label on it with a "Part No." (5900756) and a "Serial No."

I just sent an email to Ferris with the above numbers asking if they could identify the "model year" of the mower for me.

Comment

The Date of Manufacture listed on the ENGINE is: 1008
                  Listed exactly like that in a big, silver box - I assume that translates to October 2008, as nothing else would make sense to me.

The mower has a label on it with a "Part No." (5900756) and a "Serial No."

I just sent an email to Ferris with the above numbers asking if they could identify the "model year" of the mower for me.
                  ok the mower would have likely been produced for 2009 or 2010 most likely 2009. I would not expect much of an answer from Ferris but good luck.
                  I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

ok the mower would have likely been produced for 2009 or 2010 most likely 2009. I would not expect much of an answer from Ferris but good luck.
                    If they don't give me an answer, I'll then ask when they stopped making the units with the electronic sensor-grip operator presence system, and see what they say.

I've been able to find a LITTLE info on that feature, but not much. I presume that either people didn't much like it, or it had flaws/didn't hold up, but I'm hoping it was the former. I like it. It's better than having to hold down that bar.

Supposed to rain tomorrow. Maybe I'll start waxing it in the garage...

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it not being a new model especially when features were deleted on the newer models. I'd love to have that electronic sensor on my Toro. I hate the handle lever. HATE IT. I want to clip it so it never shuts off.

Just enjoy your nicely priced production machine!
                      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it not being a new model especially when features were deleted on the newer models. I'd love to have that electronic sensor on my Toro. I hate the handle lever. HATE IT. I want to clip it so it never shuts off.

Just enjoy your nicely priced production machine!

I'm going back and forth via email as we speak.
                        Initially, he didn't give much of an "answer", but then replied with:

Your unit should be an 08/09 unit. We did discontinue the sensor grips and we now offer a kit to remove them completely which adds a second override handle to whichever side it was not built with.
                        I just sent another email asking what changes have been made since MY unit was produced. Really, that's what I'm most interested in. I mean, if it's just "little things" like the grip sensor, I don't mind, but if they've revised something that really makes a newer unit measurably BETTER, then I have a valid reason to be upset.

And yeah, unless the sensor grip is problematic down the road, I can see no reason to replace it with a "lever". As it is, it makes controlling it much easier than I thought after my initial run with it.

Comment

That was fast.

Here's my previous email to them followed by the reply...

Thank you.

I purchased the mower new last week.
                          I ask because I noted that the "model number" on the tag at the dealer was listed as "CCWKAV1536" and in the brochure (copyright 2011) it's listed as "CCWKAV1636". I asked the dealer "I noted that the model number is off by one number, is that one last year's model - Is it a 2011?" and was told "Yes, we ordered it before the price increase in January, so you get it at last year's price."
                          I wouldn't mind so much if I was told up front that it was much older than that.

What I'd most like to know at this point is what changes have been made since MY mower was manufactured. The "deal" that I got may not have been as much of a deal as I thought if I'm not buying current production technology/design.

Thanks again for your time. I do appreciate your assistance.
                          The only difference on your unit over one coming off the assembly line today is a different engine may be on it. Only reason that may be is because the manufacturers change engines multiple times a yea so our engines are always changing not for any such reason of a particular engine having issues. Other than that they are identical in every way.

Yours does have the sensor grips on it which are more comfortable than holding down 2 handles, many people would prefer to buy a unit with the sensor grips on it versus the newer ones that do not. And if yours has problems with the sensor grips down the road and you decide you want to eliminate them we can have the dealer install the kit for you to make them the same way new ones are.
                          36 CCWs have seen the least amount of changes of any of our product.

I feel better now.

Comment

That was fast.

Here's my previous email to them followed by the reply...

I feel better now.
                            Wow glad they answered you. hope you are happy with it.

Comment

I just ordered a SenDEC hour meter for it.

I looked online at the Tiny-Tach and the SenDEC units and decided on this. The model I'm getting is just an hour meter - no tachometer.

I considered looking for one of the ones with service reminders, but decided against it. So long as I can see the hour/usage, I can keep track of the rest.

Comment

Finished waxing it today. Juiced the tires up while I was at it.

I probably should have been doing more important things, but I've never spent this much money on something like this and was just having a good time waxing every inch of it - if there was red paint, and I could reach it, it got waxed!

One bonus to spending the time detailing it, is that I am now much more familiar with the machine. I saw things that I never would have otherwise.

Hopefully I can get it in a nice lawn for some better pics while it's still clean.
                                My lawn looks like crap and the sun was too bright - the pics make it look more orange than the deep red that it actually is.

What it looks like from a blade of grass' point of view...

Comment

Working...
                                X