Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ferris 36" Walk Behind - Woo Hoo! (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain barrels are a catch-22....people think they're great to conserve water, but no one wants to intall them because it isn't raining!
    You should start another post about the installation of these. I bet other readers would be interested in hearing about the benefits of them.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• I finally used the Ferris with the mulch kit installed.

Me likey.

I cut 4 lawns with it yesterday and it cut all of them well.
      One was a bit high (3 weeks since last cut) and it did leave a few small clumps in the thickest part, but overall, I'm THRILLED that I no longer have to map out a "plan" to mow a lawn.
      "OK, I can't go this direction 'cuz I'll throw clippings in the koi pond and I can't go that direction 'cuz I'll blow grass in the flowerbed..."

Eff that.

Now I just mow away, or I should say "mulch away!"

Today I used it on several other biweeklies that I feared would be an issue.
      I won't say that I was thrilled with it, but I was certainly impressed that it did as well as it did considering the grass height. Actually, these ones were skipped last week, so it had been 3 weeks since last cut.

If it works this well on high grass, cutting a weekly lawn should yield very favorable results indeed.

I'll post a few pics later.

Comment

• I really like the mower, if this year goes well, I think I might purchase a larger walk behind and a sulky to use as my primary mower, and use my residential ztr for fall and spring cleanups.
        sigpic
        Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

• Unless you have gates you need to squeeze through, I suggest something larger than a 36".

I mean, it IS faster than using my 21", but the difference isn't as big as I had hoped.
          The cut quality is superior though and it will power through some serious growth.

Side note:
          My mouse just died and I have to use the stupid "finger pad" thingy on my laptop which is going to seriously put a damper on my web browsing/post-wh0ring.

Comment

• Unless you have gates you need to squeeze through, I suggest something larger than a 36".

I mean, it IS faster than using my 21", but the difference isn't as big as I had hoped.
            The cut quality is superior though and it will power through some serious growth.

Side note:
            My mouse just died and I have to use the stupid "finger pad" thingy on my laptop which is going to seriously put a damper on my web browsing/post-wh0ring.
            Yeah I plan on going for like a 52". I don't want to go off the bat and buy a $10000 ztr or $8000 stand on, I think walk behind with a sulky would be good for me for now, and if I have a larger property 1 acre or more, I'll use my residential ztr, I just want to be as easy on that thing as possible.
            sigpic
            Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

• Yeah I plan on going for like a 52". I don't want to go off the bat and buy a $10000 ztr or $8000 stand on, I think walk behind with a sulky would be good for me for now, and if I have a larger property 1 acre or more, I'll use my residential ztr, I just want to be as easy on that thing as possible.
              If you buy a 52" commercial walk behind with a sulky you won't even think about using your residential ZTR because of the cut quality and speed of the walk behind will be twice as fast as the residential mower.

Comment

• yeah, the one ferris I looked at can cut 3.2 acres an hour, man thats cruisin!
                sigpic
                Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

• If you buy a 52" commercial walk behind with a sulky you won't even think about using your residential ZTR because of the cut quality and speed of the walk behind will be twice as fast as the residential mower.
                  I'm torn between getting a ZTR or a walk behind, I know a ZTR you can cover more ground quicker with less fatigue, but can't really get into tight spaces.

Walk behind with a sulky will beat you up a little, but you will be able to take it places you can't take a ZTR.

Going to be a tough one.
                  sigpic
                  Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

• yeah, the one ferris I looked at can cut 3.2 acres an hour, man thats cruisin!
                    I bet you will find in reality it will cut less then that
                    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

• Yeah, of course it will, thats based off of no obstacles in a straight line, and that rarely ever happens
                      sigpic
                      Carlisle Lawn Care

Comment

• Had a scary moment today. I thought I was going to lose the Ferris to a hillside at the same moment it hung up on something, bending the transmission rod. (I think that's what it's called - goes from the pistol grip lever down to the hydro)

The other side showing how it SHOULD look - nice and straight...

This is what it got caught on - a "ladder hook" on the side of a shed.

I can't even explain how it happened, but when it did, the mower was trying to go forward, over a hill, while hung up on that hook. I was trying to reverse it and having little luck as one tire was spinning, but I was able to back it up enough to get it "unhooked".

A few more views...

Everything on either end of the rod looks fine. The lever isn't bent, nor does the bottom part that manipulates the hydro look damaged. The rod bent and the left handle is "opened" more than it should be now, but it's still usable.

Unless I discover something else I missed initially, it looks like I'll be able to order a new rod and replace it myself.

Sigh.

Comment

• I done that to my walk behind once hooked up on the back end of a tractor and bent the crap out of the rod. We took it off and put the rod in a vice I slid a pipe over it and bent it back to shape...lasted 5 or 6 years after that.
                          If you can't be good..Be good at it!

Comment

• WOW Who would have even thought that could happen!
                            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

• I done that to my walk behind once hooked up on the back end of a tractor and bent the crap out of the rod. We took it off and put the rod in a vice I slid a pipe over it and bent it back to shape...lasted 5 or 6 years after that.
                              I am with you just bend it back, you have an adjustment turnbuckle so you can make it to where nobody would even notice that you bent it.
                              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

• If the part isn't priced outrageously, I'll replace it, but if it is, I may give that a try.

So mad that it happened. So relieved, as it could have been much worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X