No announcement yet.

Flower Bed Rescue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel such jobs compare with mowing jobs? Are they more profitable or less per hour?

Sometimes it seems certain types of jobs will perform better than others.
    Not my question, but I can weigh in with one point of view.... a bit long winded....

As a small outfit, I find that mowing is always more profitable in the long run. I usually only provide this kind of work for existing customers or commercial accounts or where lawn work will follow.

For instance I manage the lawns for one of the McDonalds franchises. One store was in terrible shape bed wise as the landscape contractor let the property go. I parlayed that into a nice bedding reinstall and maintenance contract with my customer for ALL the properties. It worked out like this: he paid separate rates to get the beds back into maintainable shape and now pays a monthly maintenance fee to keep them that way.

The formula that works best for me is to hire (experienced) help for larger bedding jobs so that I can finish quickly and still make a decent profit without breaking my back. I bid probably more than than average outfit because I don't typically want these types of jobs. So when it works out, I am not left wishing I had not taken the job or underbidding myself which is easy to do as we all know. The trick is not spending too much time on the estimates so that my time is wasted. Thankfully, this does not happen very often.
    Workin' for a livin'?... nah, working for my family.

Comment

How do you feel such jobs compare with mowing jobs? Are they more profitable or less per hour?

Sometimes it seems certain types of jobs will perform better than others.
      Mowing is a higher profit work but the flower bed jobs was more rewarding and also gives you a break from pushing a mower for 10 hours a day.
      all in all work is work and you do what you have to in order to pay the bills

Comment

The formula that works best for me is to hire (experienced) help for larger bedding jobs
        What do you look for in an employee that can perform better? How does one with more experience work on beds compared to a less experienced employee?

Do you train them at all to improve their speed?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Nice job.. thats a lot of work hand picking beds like that.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X