My New Lawn Signs - Bartering 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Lawn Signs - Bartering 101

Several weeks ago I went to give an estimate to mow a lawn. Long story short, the homeowner owns a local promotional company that does silk screen shirts and other such items, and when I mentioned that I was looking to have some shirts and signs made, he asked if I'd be interested in bartering - some cuts for some merchandise?

Hecks yeah!

I quoted him $40-$45 to cut his lawn and he offered me two (2), two-sided, 18x24, full color, coroplast lawn signs with upgraded heavy-duty stakes.

Here they are.

He suggested doing a vertical design, as it will stand out from the millions of "standard" 24"x18" horizontal signs that litter the landscape. This made sense to me and I used the same layout for both, but used different text for the "headers".
    As a designer, I was torn between going with a stark, "generic" design using "text only" that could be easily viewed from a distance, or a more "colorful" design that has more visual appeal.
    Since most of the places I'll be placing these are either at intersections (where cars stop for a moment - long enough to view the sign), or along sidewalks where there is pedestrian traffic, I went the more "colorful" route.

I designed them, emailed PDF files to him, and in a few days, he had them ready for me.

for these pics I threw them back by my flowerbed to show scale...

Viewed from the back...

I cut his lawn again today. We spoke of having some t-shirts printed in trade.
    It's a win/win for both of us.
    Attached Files

your signs really look great [like everything else you have done ] .

Comment

Really nice Hedge!

Comment

Very nice signs.

I ran into bartering my serices for goods also. Last year a guy asked if I would continue mowing for a set of saddlebags. Heck yeah!
        www.montgomerysqualitylawncare.com

Comment

Thanks guys!

Time will tell if they generate any business.
          If nothing else, I'm hoping to get some "name recognition" from my promotional pieces.

Comment

Very Nice Hedge
            Very professional they are bound to get you at least a couple of new customers and that will make it all worth while.
            Very Nice man very nice.

Comment

Those have got to be the nicest lawn signs I have ever seen.

How many do you plan on putting out?

When will you start with this? It will be really interesting to see what kind of responses you get.

With your design, you could experiment with different offers printed at the top in that bright yellow text. Then see if certain headlines pull better than others.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Very Nice Hedge
                Very professional they are bound to get you at least a couple of new customers and that will make it all worth while.
                Very Nice man very nice.
                I'm not sure, but I think there's a compliment hidden in there somewhere...

Thanks man.

Comment

Those have got to be the nicest lawn signs I have ever seen.

How many do you plan on putting out?

When will you start with this? It will be really interesting to see what kind of responses you get.

With your design, you could experiment with different offers printed at the top in that bright yellow text. Then see if certain headlines pull better than others.
                  LOL! Thank you, sir.

I just have the two signs for now. I intend to place them in the lawns as I work - not leave them in any one spot.

I considered headlines that were either "offers", or just something brutally simple like "Lawn Mowing", but decided against it for this round - maybe I'll do another set of signs that way. As mentioned before, I wanted more of a "wow factor" in these signs.

I placed them out while cutting two lawns yesterday. I noted that people were looking at them as they drove by. Well, that or they were checking out my a$$ - it's hard to say.

When I did the layout, I tried to balance readability with "eye catchy" design.
                  I could have made them more easily readable from a distance by using text on a plain background, but I kept thinking of all the places I work where people (mainly women) WALK by. The "pretty colors" should "draw them in" and they will be able to read what the sign is "about". (If they aren't too busy checking out my butt )

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Comment

Very nice i made some with vista print but they were way smaller, they were free, lol it has attracted lots of looking a few calls i hope this and the shirts will land you lots of new clients but dont forget to keep posting on craigslist

Comment

How about putting those business card holders on the signs too? Would that help you more?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Very nice i made some with vista print but they were way smaller, they were free, lol it has attracted lots of looking a few calls i hope this and the shirts will land you lots of new clients but dont forget to keep posting on craigslist

Oh, heck yeah. Craigslist has been incredible for me - completely the opposite of what I expected. I haven't even run my ad in over 3 weeks because I couldn't keep up with all the inquiries. I still get a call or two a day - proof that people DO use the search on Craigslist, and proof that keywords are important to include in your ad.

Comment

How about putting those business card holders on the signs too? Would that help you more?
                          You know, we're either both geniuses, or you're just as dumb as I am because I considered doing just that! LOL!

The signs take up enough room as it is though, so I don't know about adding a card holder that I need to worry about too... then again, I could do the "velcro" thing and just add one when it would be most suitable. Hmmm...

Comment

Looks very professional, Nice Job!
                            Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
                            Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
                            CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

Something to consider is, if you redesign your lawn sign in the future, you could have an arrow on it that says take a card and points to your card dispenser. And maybe you could have a special offer on your card only, so you could change the cards in it at different times.

Comment

Working...
                              X