Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Hedge Time Again.

I did some Hedge work this week,
    It was two hedges approx 30 feet each and 8 feet high. They have not been trimmed in a few years the customer told me.
    It not the work of a Hedge Master but I think I did pretty good for what I had to work with.
    Attached Files

After I did my last hedge pruning I took my pruners into the local repair shop and told them please don't hurry giving them back. If I never see them again it'll be too soon. Least favorite job in the world! Every time I do pruning I raise the price $5 per hour. Every time! I'll be up to $200/hour real soon.
    Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

After I did my last hedge pruning I took my pruners into the local repair shop and told them please don't hurry giving them back. If I never see them again it'll be too soon. Least favorite job in the world! Every time I do pruning I raise the price $5 per hour. Every time! I'll be up to $200/hour real soon.
      I love doing hedges, It easy and non-strenuous work.
      I also Like the pay check at the end. I charge by the foot and difficulty
      (Height width how even or uneven the ground is etc..)

Comment

... It easy and non-strenuous work. ...
        What planet are you from and can I see your space ship? :lol:

That's why I hate it, it's back breaking. Every time I get a pruning job I call the chiropractor to schedule an appointment for the day after.

Comment

That is a great job! How long did it take to do? How did you handle cleanup?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I'm with ya mark.....kills my back and shoulders!!! After only a couple hours of wielding my 7+ foot hedge trimmer im ready for a pain pill!!! Plus not ta mention when i get atop of a 25+ foot hedge ta top it holding that trimmer out in front of ya while hoping the ladder doesn't move makes almost every muscle in my body tense.lol, for some reason I don't have any simple hedges.

My wife likes me ta take pics, made the mistake of taking her with me once to see how i do hedges, needless ta say she doesn't think throwing and extension ladder up against a hedge is safe.lol

Attached Files

Comment

I'm with ya mark.....kills my back and shoulders!!! After only a couple hours of wielding my 7+ foot hedge trimmer im ready for a pain pill!!! Plus not ta mention when i get atop of a 25+ foot hedge ta top it holding that trimmer out in front of ya while hoping the ladder doesn't move makes almost every muscle in my body tense.lol, for some reason I don't have any simple hedges. ...
              Holy moly!!!!!!!!!!! That's some big hedge.

I think in my case it's the short stuff that hurts the worst. Bending over for 6 hours holding anything outside of center just puts a knot in my back.

Comment

It's funny you say that, i just did some waist high ones the other day, and your right didn't take long before my lower back started screaming..!!!!

Comment

Speaking of hedges you guys have brought up a question I'm been meaning to ask you all. I just got a new customer that has about 10 perfect and round small hedges. I have the big Stihl Hedger that goes with the Kombi system and of course there is no way I'm going to be able to use that. What do you guys use and how do they make it so round?

I attached a picture of a sample of how round those hedges are and also a pick of the hedger I use from the Stihl website.

Matt
                  Attached Files

Comment

LOL me to!!!!

Comment

I love doing hedges, It easy and non-strenuous work.
                      I also Like the pay check at the end. I charge by the foot and difficulty
                      (Height width how even or uneven the ground is etc..)

Ducke, hay man I have a spare bed this next spring. LOL

Comment

... I attached a picture of a sample of how round those hedges are ...
                        Those are probably topiary. The plant is caged inside of a mesh and probably maintained using hand pruners.

Edit: Check this link: http://www.sktopiary.com/shop.html#91
                        Last edited by mark123; 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Heh. I cut 140 feet of "hedges" today. Nothing fancy - just needed to get the overgrowth off the sidewalk and even up the tops. That said, I took about 2 feet off the sides to get them off the sidewalk and they were between 6 and 8 feet tall and about 6 feet deep.

The Stihl articulating trimmer attachment came in REAL handy today. I threw an extra handle I had laying around onto the shaft of my FS90R to give me a more "balanced" place to hold it while trimming. It looks goofy when I'm just using it as a string trimmer, but it weighs next to nothing and it's easier than taking it on/off when I want to throw on the hedge trimmer attachment.

That attachment was a good investment.

Comment

That is a great job! How long did it take to do? How did you handle cleanup?
                            This job being a new job and the first one of the year too me about 6 hours.
                            as for clean up I just rake it all up in a big tarp and drag it to my truck.
                            its going to go out to my compost pile at my camp next rain day.

Comment

You should be able to trim the hedges round with an up and down motion.

See how this hedge is curved and cut with a large hedge trimmer.
                              Attached Files
                              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
                              X