New Toro Super Recycler & Stihl Attachment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toro Super Recycler & Stihl Attachment

Warning: Lots of photos! (And damn, my back yard grass looks like heck!)

At the end of last season the deck on my old Craftsman mower broke where the engine bolts to it, so I knew I needed a mower come spring time.
    I priced Toros in the fall and narrowed down what model I was going to get, and almost bought one a few weeks ago. Glad I waited - saw a guy who let me know that the local dealer was having an open house yesterday - even better, when I arrived, everything was 10% off!

Woo-Hoo!!!

Brand spankin' new Toro Super Recycler 20092

Reg. $529.
    Today it was $477 for a savings of $52.

Then, since I have the Stihl FS90R string trimmer that takes gearbox attachments, I picked up an articulating hedge trimmer attachment for it.
    I was debating the purchase of an edger attachment, but I think the hedge trimmer will be more useful in the long run. I have a decent Craftsman hedge trimmer, but this baby will give me more "ooompf!" for cutting the heavy stuff as well as extended reach.

Just loosen two screws on the string trimmer head, slide it off, slip on the hedge trimmer attachment, tighten, and it's ready to go - takes about 60 seconds.

They sell two models - a "straight" one, and this articulating model that has 13 locking positions. Some features are worth the added cost, and even though it's a lot of money for an attachment, it would run me twice that for a dedicated unit.

Reg. $229.
    Today it was $204 for a savings of $25.

(I may have to use this ^^^ for an avatar! )

and folded for transport/storage...

I saved $77 due to blind luck. Had I not been told about the open house, I would have missed out.
    Heck, I saved more than that actually... he tossed in an $18 fuel can (that I asked to buy) for free.
    I also got samples of fuel additive (to fight that friggin' ethanol) to treat 30 gal of gas, a Stihl t-shirt, A Toro hat, safety glasses, a Toro mug, a digital tire pressure gauge, and a padded trimmer shoulder strap.
    It was like Christmas in July... in March!

That is awesome!

I look forwards to your equipment reviews on it after you are using it for a few times.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Can't wait to try the mower. I've never owned one without a throttle control or primer bulb for starting.

Looks pretty sleek without the bag. May have to mount a whale tail spoiler on that bad boy.

Comment

What the hell?

I'm all geeked because I got a new mower and nobody wants to show me any love?
        What, not good enough because it's not a ten thousand dollar zero turn?

Damned lawn snobs!

LOL!

Comment

I picked one of those exact mowers up last year,brand new for $5.00 .Somebody backed over it in the garage,bent the deck so bad the blade would not turn ,handles bent and broken beyond repair .The engine re-powered a tired mower I had,and the tranny got me $50.00 so it worked awesome for me .The engine had lots of grunt and worked real well even in long wet grass .

Comment

I am happy for u I am the same way when I buy new toys congrats on the new addition to u growing lawn empire

Comment

I picked one of those exact mowers up last year,brand new for $5.00 .Somebody backed over it in the garage,bent the deck so bad the blade would not turn ,handles bent and broken beyond repair .The engine re-powered a tired mower I had,and the tranny got me $50.00 so it worked awesome for me .The engine had lots of grunt and worked real well even in long wet grass .
              Heh. Awesome!

Good to know about the power. Never used one of these - hoping the mulching is as good as the name implies since I don't have access to a free dumping spot for clippings.

Comment

I am happy for u I am the same way when I buy new toys congrats on the new addition to u growing lawn empire
                Thanks.

LOL at "lawn empire"!

Oh, and hey everyone... the master finally got around to making an avatar!

Comment

I find that the toro mulching mowers absolutely scramble grass and leaves into a powder. Leaf cleanup last year was awesome with the toro push mower.
                  http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

I waxed my mower today.

Comment

And in case anyone thought I was joking about waxing the mower...

TA-DA!

Astro Shield! Love the stuff. Too bad they are out of business now.

Theoretically, I should be able to mow faster now, as the waxed deck is more aerodynamic.

Hey, does anyone use any sort of spray for UNDER the deck?
                      I picked up a can of "MO-DECK" to try since the mower is new, and clean.

Will it actually DO what it says it does?

Comment

Hey Hedgemaster,

Congrats on the new mower, it looks awesome! I too only run 21" walk behinds as all my yards are too small for anything else. I have looked at the Toro as well and really liked what i saw but I have no local Toro dealer here unless I want to drive 60 miles to get one or for service (not going to happen anytime soon) so I have been using Cub Cadets. I've been really happy with them and the local dealer just can not be beat for service.

I am interested in hearing how you like it as I have heard they are amazing at mulching. Keep us informed.

Lloyd
                        Blue's YardFX
                        Camrose, AB

Comment

Used the new mower for the first time today!

First mow job of the season.
                          Started on the third pull (today was the very first time it was started) and after that, it started on the first pull every time. I also have to say that it's the easiest "pull" of any mower I've owned in the past.

Bags well - fills the bag, unlike my Craftsman which seems to clog before the bag gets full.
                          After I did that job, I took the bag off and "mulched" my back yard. The grass isn't really high enough yet to tell how well it mulches though.

LOOK! It's DIRTY now! LOL!

No, really... look CLOSER!

See!

Even under HERE!

LOL!

I tried that "washout port". I'm not sure I understand the purpose though.
                          I thought the thing would "spin", or somehow spray the underside of the entire deck, but it only sprays the front half.
                          Maybe that's the most critical part to keep clean, as the "kickers" are mounted up there. (They deflect grass back to be chopped up again when mulching)
                          I ended up just using the hose to spray it all off. It did come clean, which surprised me. It felt like it was "hardened" on there pretty good. Maybe the "MO-DECK" spray actually helped?

So far...

Personal Pace - works well. Fast.
                          Easy to start
                          Fold up handle locks in place for storage
                          No primer/throttle
                          Bag is easy to remove and replace
                          Relatively quiet

Dislikes:

Too much plastic (that top engine cover is really flimsy)
                          Have to adjust each wheel height individually (My Craftsman had a 1 point adjustment lever)
                          Can't "mulch on demand" like the Recycler line - have to insert a "plug" when you remove the bag. One more thing to lose - one more step to take.
                          No aftermarket chrome wheels available.

Comment

Hey, does anyone use any sort of spray for UNDER the deck?
                            I picked up a can of "MO-DECK" to try since the mower is new, and clean.

Will it actually DO what it says it does?
                            We have tested MODECK and it does not do nearly as good as the can suggests. I have had really good results from Fluid Film though.
                            I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

That trimmer attachment you will absolutely LOVE..

In Memory of My Dad..1943-2008..Gary "Snuffy" Smith

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X