Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new trailer has WHEELS!

Remember this?

I'm keeping it, but it wasn't cutting it for some jobs, so I started looking for a trailer a few weeks ago, and now I'm the proud owner of a brand spankin' used 5'x8' utility trailer!

It's a 2009 Carry-On brand mesh floor trailer.

* 2000 lb. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
    * Main Frame 2" x 2" Angle
    * Wire Mesh Floor
    * Fully Lighted to D.O.T. Requirements
    * 1-7/8" Coupler with Safety Chains
    * 2000 lb. Cambered Axle
    * Removable Tongue
    * Wire Protected in Conduit
    * 4-Flat Electrical Plug
    * 9" Side Height

The seller owned it for less than one year and no longer needed it after purchasing an enclosed trailer.

It's a bit "ghetto" in it's current configuration, but I plan on doing some work to clean it up.

The seller installed the sides and while it looks a bit crappy, they are rock-solid. The sides are a small bonus, as I planned on adding sides to whatever trailer I got anyway. They stand 25 1/4" high, which will work well for hauling loads of branches and such...

Another small bonus was the 1 7/8" ball that the seller gave me. I had a 2" ball already mounted, and he even offered to use his tools to swap them out for me.

It has surface rust, but that's what they make spray paint for. I know someone who may be able to shoot it with a paint gun too, so one way or another, it will look better than it does now.

Inside...

Tires are in good condition and it tows well...

Anyway, I now have more options when it comes to the jobs I can bid, and I won't have to cram everything into the back of the truck. I saved about $240 over buying a brand new trailer, and as I've discovered, trailers hold their value fairly well, so when it comes time to upgrade to a larger trailer, I can probably get close to what I paid for it.

I got a fair deal, and I'm happy with the purchase.
    Attached Files

This is exciting! Your business is growing! What will you be doing to jazz it up a bit? Will you be putting any signs on it?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This is exciting! Your business is growing! What will you be doing to jazz it up a bit? Will you be putting any signs on it?
      Yes, I suppose it is.

Haha I knew you'd ask that.
      I'm not sure yet, as I'm still playing with some ideas. Ideally, I'd like to paint it bright green, but I don't think that's realistic considering the amount of touch up needed as it gets more surface rust, so at the moment, I'm thinking of keeping it black, but painting the side boards green - maybe hit the lower portion of the board that are visible (below the top rail/between the side framework) with black to keep it all black from the side rails down... not sure.

Signage is a definite "yes", but not yet.

Comment

Well I look forwards to seeing more pics.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

congrates on the new trailer and hope to see the finished product.

But I have a word of caution. I would be careful how much weight you put on the front of that trailer. Its only got that main bar coming out right? and from the picture it already looks like it bending just a tad. So I just wondering if you had noticed that at all... nothing to worry about just something to be mindful of.
          Colton
          Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

When you have a trailer with a metal mesh floor like that, would laying a piece of plywood over it extend the life of the floor?

From what I have seen, those floors tend to droop and then break under the weight of mowers.

Comment

When you have a trailer with a metal mesh floor like that, would laying a piece of plywood over it extend the life of the floor?

From what I have seen, those floors tend to droop and then break under the weight of mowers.
              Yeah, that mesh is garbage (at least on this brand) - maybe a more expensive trailer would use a heavier gauge mesh?
              I'm thinking of adding a floor, as it would also give me the ability to haul mulch if needed.

Currently, I only have two push mowers, so weight isn't a concern. Even the chipper/shredder isn't all that heavy, so even if I don't get a floor on it immediately, I shouldn't have to worry about it. When I bought this, I did so knowing it was a "starter trailer", and that I'd need something larger before too long, but bigger, and better just isn't in the budget at the moment.

MountainView,
              I'll check out the tongue to see if it's actually bent, but I see what you mean in the photo. It's supposed to be removable, so I don't know if that can be replaced if needed. Although, considering the price of replacement parts for anything these days, a whole new trailer would probably make more sense.
              As stated above, I won't have anything too heavy to tow around anyway.

Comment

Yeah, that mesh is garbage (at least on this brand) - maybe a more expensive trailer would use a heavier gauge mesh?
                I'm thinking of adding a floor, as it would also give me the ability to haul mulch if needed.

Currently, I only have two push mowers, so weight isn't a concern. Even the chipper/shredder isn't all that heavy, so even if I don't get a floor on it immediately, I shouldn't have to worry about it. When I bought this, I did so knowing it was a "starter trailer", and that I'd need something larger before too long, but bigger, and better just isn't in the budget at the moment.

MountainView,
                I'll check out the tongue to see if it's actually bent, but I see what you mean in the photo. It's supposed to be removable, so I don't know if that can be replaced if needed. Although, considering the price of replacement parts for anything these days, a whole new trailer would probably make more sense.
                As stated above, I won't have anything too heavy to tow around anyway.
                Yep just wasnt sure if you noticed. Didnt want you to lose us equipment. But we all got to start somewhere.
                Colton
                Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I took a closer look today and while the tongue itself is straight, the second strip of angle iron that it's welded to has a bend in it. It's bent down slightly in the center, so I'm guessing the previous owner overloaded it.

You can see it in this photo - up near the front...

For my purposes, it should still be fine.

I still think I need to get a ball mount with a lower drop though. I haven't taken it to a flat, paved spot to take any measurements, but it seems to sit too high in the front. (regardless of the bent frame)
                  Last edited by Hedgemaster; 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I've been pondering ways to make this thing look better.

Initially, I thought that the plywood sides were painted, but there is actually black vinyl heat-wrapped/bonded to it. Some of it is peeling and there are spots that look like brown spray paint got on it... ugly.
                    I considered simply replacing the plywood, but today while cleaning the garage, I ran across an 8'x20" scrap of 3/8" plywood, and I thought, "Hmmm... what about COVERING the existing "black" wood?"

Like this...

I could simply screw it right onto the existing wood. I'd finish spray painting the frame (previous owner started, but never finished) and paint over the original plywood that is visible on the bottom, keeping everything below the top rail black.

The fresh plywood "skin" gives me some options:
                    (a) Leave it as is, but apply a waterproofing finish, that would give me a cleaner looking trailer without much effort. (or breaking the bank)

(b) Have a sign shop create a sign to cover the plywood, or at least attach to it.

(c) Add a 1"x6" board and have it engraved with my info using either light wood with dark lettering, or dark wood with perhaps gold lettering?

like this "sketch" (third photo)...

What do you think?

Am I crazy? Perhaps there's a better way? High sides a bad idea?

Comment

Well if you want to do it the most professional getting more angle iron and some expanded steel and doing it all steel. It adds value to it as well. But I dont know how much you are willing to spend and if you have access to a welder. But it is well worth it.

My neigbor across the street put steel sides on his after he saw how mine turned out. Funny how that all works out.

Also for signage to save a few bucks we bought the large yard signs from vista print and bolted them to the expanded steel. They last a long time, but in the AZ sun they do fade.

Hope any of that helps you.
                      Colton

Comment

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I am also trying to decide how to do some signage for my trailer.

Comment

Well if you want to do it the most professional getting more angle iron and some expanded steel and doing it all steel. It adds value to it as well. But I dont know how much you are willing to spend and if you have access to a welder. But it is well worth it.

My neigbor across the street put steel sides on his after he saw how mine turned out. Funny how that all works out.

Also for signage to save a few bucks we bought the large yard signs from vista print and bolted them to the expanded steel. They last a long time, but in the AZ sun they do fade.

Hope any of that helps you.

Not sure I want to be that spendy with this particular trailer. Maybe in a year or two when I upsize to a better trailer that I plan on keeping. For now, I just want to improve the appearance and usability without shelling out a lot of cash.

How high are the sides on your trailer? Any "issues" with having sides? 99% of the trailers I see are basic utility trailers, so I'm wondering if there's a good reason for that.
                          The only drawback I can initially think of is restricted accessibility to the contents.

Comment

Not sure I want to be that spendy with this particular trailer. Maybe in a year or two when I upsize to a better trailer that I plan on keeping. For now, I just want to improve the appearance and usability without shelling out a lot of cash.

How high are the sides on your trailer? Any "issues" with having sides? 99% of the trailers I see are basic utility trailers, so I'm wondering if there's a good reason for that.
                            The only drawback I can initially think of is restricted accessibility to the contents.
                            I have 4 ft sides on mine with a box of sorts that opens from the front of the trailer. Basically a normal landscaping trailer... atleast out here.
                            Colton

Comment

Teaser post...

I've got the plywood cut and I'll be applying some waterproofing stain to it tomorrow before attaching it. I was going to go buy a specific color, but I already have a can of "Natural Cedar" sitting here from a deck project, and I just spent $600 on tires today, so "Natural Cedar" it is!

I've also picked up some black spray paint to touch up the bottom portion of the trailer before adding the sides.

Grabbed some I bolts that I'm currently planning on putting on the outside in case I want to attach a tarp, but not sure where to place them yet...

Doing the same size sides as shown in the earlier photo.
                              (I HATE the fact that you can't copy/paste images on this forum!)

Hope to have before/after photos in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X