No announcement yet.

My new trailer has WHEELS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the same size sides as shown in the earlier photo.
    (I HATE the fact that you can't copy/paste images on this forum!)
    Can you attach them to the post by clicking the little photo button above where you are writing your text?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Can you attach them to the post by clicking the little photo button above where you are writing your text?
      Well, let's see...

Nope.
      At least, I don't think so.

I mean, I could open a new window, go to my photobucket account, find the photo, click the link, then come back here and paste it, but on a forum I moderate, we can simply "highlight"/copy a previously posted image (anyone's image), and then paste it into a new post.
      I'm not sure why it doesn't work that way here - both forums are vBulletin.

No biggie, just frustrating when you are used to doing it one way elsewhere.

Comment

If you're just putting walk behind lawn mowers in there, you should be able to access everything alright. Though even a small tractor will have you jumping over the sides to get your equipment.

I'd probably cut the wood down a little bit on the sides, while keeping it rather high in the front.

I see a lot of companies using the same trailer (without the wooden sides) and I gotta say - they look neat.

You advertise your equipment - and have access to it.

The wood is just silly, just cut it down so it blocks the holes around the base and nothing or little more.

Most importantly, where are you going to attach your bungies!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you're just putting walk behind lawn mowers in there, you should be able to access everything alright. Though even a small tractor will have you jumping over the sides to get your equipment.

I'd probably cut the wood down a little bit on the sides, while keeping it rather high in the front.

I see a lot of companies using the same trailer (without the wooden sides) and I gotta say - they look neat.

You advertise your equipment - and have access to it.

The wood is just silly, just cut it down so it blocks the holes around the base and nothing or little more.

Most importantly, where are you going to attach your bungies!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the input.

I'm keeping the sides because I keep getting inquiries about hauling away brush piles. Seems to me that a trailer with no sides would would make that difficult to do, but I don't know.

Bungies?
          Grabbed some I bolts that I'm currently planning on putting on the outside in case I want to attach a tarp, but not sure where to place them yet...
          I'm also going to add some tie down attachment points on the inside.

Comment

That's kinda neat then! Would you be able to somehow add hinges to the wood, so that they fold

Lock > hindge, hindge, hindge.....

Comment

Funny you mention that. I was considering doing something like that in the future, but I hadn't thought about doing just "half" like that.

At first I wanted to re-build it to have removable sides, but human nature the way it is, I KNOW I'll never want to mess around with taking them off, and putting them on, so I thought about making sides that fold down to half the height for when I don't need the high sides.

Comment

Funny you mention that. I was considering doing something like that in the future, but I hadn't thought about doing just "half" like that.

At first I wanted to re-build it to have removable sides, but human nature the way it is, I KNOW I'll never want to mess around with taking them off, and putting them on, so I thought about making sides that fold down to half the height for when I don't need the high sides.

Yeah, the less time you take putting things together per visit - the better.

My tractor is heavy enough not too budge, but any walk behind will bounce around (broke a few of them that hit the tractor on bumpy roads)... I just connect a bungee to the 'ramp' to my mower, kind of cool.

You could always keep your trailer sides folded down and only put them upwards when you're hauling stuff?

I like your trailer because of the flooring..... When you need to wash your stuff, just hose down the entire trailer with your equipment inside of it! Water falls right through it! - Awesomeeeee

Comment

OK, here she is - all covered in fresh paint, and new wood on the sides!

WARNING - TONS of pics!

First I cut the side panels to size, applied a waterproofing finish, and allowed them to dry while doing the metal prep work...

This was the worst part...

I didn't get too crazy with the prep work - I just took a wire wheel to the rough stuff before priming it...

One ugly trailer prepped and ready for priming...

In order to make the inside look a little less crappy, I decided to spray it flat black...

While I was at it, I sprayed the floor mesh flat black as well (it was all rusty)...

Then I sprayed the outside metal with gloss black before adding the wood to the sides...

Blue painter's masking tape was the exact width of the reflective tape, so I masked that before spraying the ramp, rather than having to buy new strips of reflective tape...

Bolting on the sides... I cut off the excess bolt length when finished - hardware store didn't have anything shorter in stock.

On the bottom row, I used I-bolts to add places to tie/bungee things to if needed...

After I cut off the bolts, I sprayed them black to help them blend in.
                  Here she is in all her glory...

And of course, I had to get shots of her with the ramp UP as well! LOL!

Truck and trailer - Today (Monday) was the first day on the job for the trailer!

O-tay, that's all the photos!

Hope you enjoyed today's edition of This Old Towable!
                  Tune in next week for an exciting episode on attaching anchor points to the inside in order to keep your junk in your trunk!

Last edited by Hedgemaster; 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

HOLY SHOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

That is beautiful!!!

WELL FRIGGEN DONE MAN!!!!

Comment

very nice job
                      Colton
                      Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I used it to haul away ten bags of lawn/leaf debris today. That wouldn't have been possible without the trailer.

I want to add some side marker lights when I get some time. Lights always turn heads.

Oh yeah, it got filthy when I went to dump the leaves.

Comment

You did an outstanding job! Very very sweet!

You must be getting a lot of compliments now.

How long did that take?
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

You did an outstanding job! Very very sweet!

You must be getting a lot of compliments now.

How long did that take?

Thanks.

I "sanded" and primed one day (maybe 1.5 hrs), and did the rest the next day. It took most of the day.

There's roughly $90 - $100 in materials used. (Lumber, paint, hardware) The 3/8" plywood was expensive, but I chose the "sanded" exterior grade stuff rather than some less expensive options.

Overall, not that difficult, yet as you can see, the result is a MUCH nicer presentation.

Comment

Looks really nice. Great job!

Comment

That is a major transformation. Congrats.

Now get a sign on both sides and the back with your name and phone number at a minimum and get some work. That thing turns heads the way it is, so give them something to look at or read.

Speaking of that, one of Artie's brochure or card holders would go well on that trailer.
                                Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X